Welcome Guest
You last visited December 8, 2016, 10:44 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

How Lottery Numbers Work?

Topic closed. 6 replies. Last post 10 years ago by Surge.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
dora, alabama
United States
Member #30900
January 22, 2006
1 Posts
Posted: October 17, 2006, 1:44 pm - IP Logged
I know how the lottery goes, picking numbers, and such... Do your numbers have to appear in the number they're placed on your ticket? Or can they be placed anywhere as long as you have the numbers? I feel dumb asking this, but I'd like some HELP please!!!!!
Thanks!
    Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
    Zeta Reticuli Star System
    United States
    Member #30470
    January 17, 2006
    10353 Posts
    Posted: October 17, 2006, 1:49 pm - IP Logged

You fill in the numbers on the playslip, give it to the clerk, they put it in the machine, and when you get the actual lottery ticket it will be in numerical order, if that's what you're asking.

Surge's avatar - Lottery-063.jpg
      Ohio
      United States
      Member #46493
      September 11, 2006
      4173 Posts
      Posted: October 17, 2006, 3:29 pm - IP Logged

I assume you're asking about the sequence of the numbers.  You can play a set of numbers straight, box, or backup (straight and box).  The most common way is to play straight and box (backup). 

The number 123 can be played 6 ways... 123 132 213 231 312 321.  If you play the number 123 box and it hits, you win regardless of which combination of 123 it is, but the prize payout is less.  If you play 123 straight and box (backup), and the number comes 123, you win both prizes for straight and box.

Hope this answers your question.

Good luck!

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
        Wandering Aimlessly
        United States
        Member #25360
        November 5, 2005
        4461 Posts
        Posted: October 17, 2006, 3:50 pm - IP Logged
        I know how the lottery goes, picking numbers, and such... Do your numbers have to appear in the number they're placed on your ticket? Or can they be placed anywhere as long as you have the numbers? I feel dumb asking this, but I'd like some HELP please!!!!!
        Thanks!

No question is stupid.  (Well....a question like "why are you so tall?" maybe is stupid.) If people are rude & nasty, then it's their problem, not yours.  I often am afraid to ask too since the pick 3 and 4 games aren't as black & white as the jackpot games. I always notice on the pick 5 and 6 games they pick the numbers and then continue to show them on tv and in the news in the exact order they were drawn instead of numeric order. But the web site always displays the jackpot games in numeric order.  I know that, in the case of most games (except the 3 or 4 number ones) the order in which they are drawn has no effect on your prize.  Surge already explained the pick-3. 

Surge, let's say I bet a dollar.  If I pick both straight and boxed then I am playing 50 cts on each, right?  So if the numbers come in straight then I get $250 instead of $500?  I thought a person had to spend a buck for each way you want the numbers to be drawn like first 2, last 2, etc. At least that was what I assumed after reading the instructions on the FL web site.

derek7's avatar - speedykat
          IL
          United States
          Member #34578
          March 4, 2006
          198 Posts
          Posted: October 17, 2006, 4:55 pm - IP Logged

Not sure if you ask for Pick 3/4 game or Pick 5 / 6 or 5+1 game.

In Pick 3 and Pick 4 sequence is important but depending how you wager you can get smaller prize for not-correct order. See above posts.

In Pick 5 or Pick 6 or Pick 5+1 game, order is not important. Usually it is presented in ascending order so it is just easier to read.

/derek7

California
            United States
            Member #46824
            October 1, 2006
            270 Posts
            Posted: October 17, 2006, 5:03 pm - IP Logged
            Thanks!

imthelush...the answer to your question depends greatly upon which game is being played.  

Mega Millions, Powerball and CA Super Lotto Plus are variations of a Pick 6 game.  They are 5/1 games,  i.e. you  pick a total of six numbers.  For the 5/1 games you need to pick 5 numbers from a pool of numbers (56 for Mega Millions) and then 1 number from another pool of numbers (46 for Mega Millions). For these games it does not matter what order the first set of 5 numbers are drawn, just that you match the numbers, trust me that is hard enough! 

For other games, commonly known as Pick 3, Pick 4 or Pick 5 games the rules are set for each game and they can vary state to state.   I am not that familar with these games as I limit my lottery play to the 5/1 games available in California, Mega Millions and Super Lotto Plus.

Surge's avatar - Lottery-063.jpg
              Ohio
              United States
              Member #46493
              September 11, 2006
              4173 Posts
              Posted: October 17, 2006, 6:10 pm - IP Logged

Yes, you're playing $0.50 on each, straight and box. 

Here is how it works in Ohio...