Welcome Guest
You last visited January 18, 2017, 2:57 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

do you pray to win?

Topic closed. 43 replies. Last post 10 years ago by LOTTOMIKE.

Page 2 of 3
PrintE-mailLink
floridian's avatar - DiscoBallGlowing

United States
Member #45802
August 28, 2006
335 Posts
Posted: October 25, 2006, 12:09 am - IP Logged

The Prayer of Jabez

"Oh that You would bless me indeed, and enlarge my territory, that Your hand would be with me, and that You would keep me from evil, that I may not cause pain!"

Emily:

Wonderful and to the point!!

Floridian

NY
    United States
    Member #23835
    October 16, 2005
    3502 Posts
    Posted: October 25, 2006, 2:00 am - IP Logged

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Jack Whittaker cleared more than 100 million bucks and Sister Theresa is dead. If there is a god I'm pretty sure that says something about how much day to day control he exerts.

If there is a god and he wants me to win the lottery I  expect the winning ticket to blow in my window while I'm flying down the highway at 80. When that happens I'll accept it as a sign from God. If I win with a ticket I had to buy I'll just chalk it up to good luck.

Lotterologist's avatar - lightbulb
      Lotto City, Michigan
      United States
      Member #36256
      March 30, 2006
      1472 Posts
      Posted: October 25, 2006, 3:20 am - IP Logged

One should never mix God and gambling.  When they don't win, some peoples faith is diminished that way. A true believer loves God, whether their prayers are answered or not. Even Christ once asked, "Father, why hast thou forsaken me?"

s5thomps's avatar - Lottery-033.jpg
        Hard Luck, Ak
        United States
        Member #23472
        October 13, 2005
        279 Posts
        Posted: October 25, 2006, 6:39 am - IP Logged

I agree with your comment, But I can honestly say that I have prayed to win the lottery.  I know in reality that it doesn't guarantee that you win anything because millions of people pray that they will also win.  I just hope that if it was ever me to hit the lotto that I would have the wisdom and good  sense to realize what was most important to me.  It would make day to day life a lot easier. Mortage, car note, medical bills, etc.... But living in America and being able to wake up every morning is a blessing. Everyone's story is unique and I hope who ever happens to win a jackpot deserves to win and does not squander away their money.  If not used properly, It can be either a blessing or a curse. Just ask Jack Whittaker or any number of lottery winners who made bad choices after they came into a financial windfall.

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
          Zeta Reticuli Star System
          United States
          Member #30470
          January 17, 2006
          10390 Posts
          Posted: October 25, 2006, 10:49 am - IP Logged

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Jack Whittaker cleared more than 100 million bucks and Sister Theresa is dead. If there is a god I'm pretty sure that says something about how much day to day control he exerts.

If there is a god and he wants me to win the lottery I  expect the winning ticket to blow in my window while I'm flying down the highway at 80. When that happens I'll accept it as a sign from God. If I win with a ticket I had to buy I'll just chalk it up to good luck.

Jack Whittaker is just a primo example of be careful what you wish for, Mother Theresa didn't have anything to do with winning or not winning a lottery unless one believes in works-based faith.

In her mind she probably figured she did hit a lottery, so to speak. 

In a just world it might have been her that won instead of Whittaker, but in such a non-existenet world a Mother Theresa wouldn't be needed in the first place.

It's all God's money, and for reason beyond our understanding on this level, a Jack Whittaker and people like him hit big lotteries. 

The first shall be last and the last shall be first. 

floridian's avatar - DiscoBallGlowing

United States
            Member #45802
            August 28, 2006
            335 Posts
            Posted: October 25, 2006, 1:52 pm - IP Logged

Jack Whittaker is just a primo example of be careful what you wish for, Mother Theresa didn't have anything to do with winning or not winning a lottery unless one believes in works-based faith.

In her mind she probably figured she did hit a lottery, so to speak. 

In a just world it might have been her that won instead of Whittaker, but in such a non-existenet world a Mother Theresa wouldn't be needed in the first place.

It's all God's money, and for reason beyond our understanding on this level, a Jack Whittaker and people like him hit big lotteries. 

The first shall be last and the last shall be first. 

Coin Toss

Has Jack figured a way to take it with him?  If you believe in scripture Mother Theresa took a whole lot more with her than Whittaker will.

God has nothing to do with the Lottery one way or the other.  I would be nice to believe you can pray your way to riches but I just do not believe it works that way.

I might suggest that there could be other forces at work here besides God.  But that is another post.

Floridian

United States
              Member #30470
              January 17, 2006
              10390 Posts
              Posted: October 25, 2006, 6:10 pm - IP Logged

When I say something like someone plays a slew of tickets and then the person behind them buys a $1 QP and they're the winner and "Where's the justice" my wife always says, "There isn't any."

But I can't think of anyone in this thread who wouldn't be praying of they were watching a drawing and had 5 of 6 numbers waiting for the last one to be called, we all would, of course.

I guess this is the same thing as discussions about God not caring which team wins a football game - unless it's Notre Dame, of course!

Green laugh

United States
                Member #33085
                February 18, 2006
                744 Posts
                Posted: October 25, 2006, 6:31 pm - IP Logged

I thank God for prosperity in everything -period.

Raven62's avatar - binary
                  New Jersey
                  United States
                  Member #17843
                  June 28, 2005
                  51029 Posts
                  Posted: October 25, 2006, 7:28 pm - IP Logged

What To Pray For?

To the ignorant and the uninitiated this may sound like a foolish question. But those of us who know the uses to which prayer can be put, know differently. The fool comes to God with a fool's questions. He may feel that he is entitled to ask for anything. Of course he is entitled to ask. But by the same token, God is not compelled to grant the request.

The first important thing to do is, make certain just what it is that we want. Someone once said that there were only two tragedies in life. One was not getting what we want, the other, getting it! Sometimes we wish, hope, strive and even pray for things that will do us more harm than good. We have not thought sufficiently on the subject of our desire. So my first injunction is, "Know what to pray for".

The second important thing to remember is what we should not pray for something that is going to harm another. And that goes for no matter who the somebody else happens to be. There are no enemies in our life. We are our own first and worst enemy. We must learn to conquer ourselves. The Good Book tells us that "He who conquers himself is greater than he who conquers a city". Hence we must first of all be masters of ourselves. God is not here to help us wreak vengeance on any person. We should pray for people, not against them. The cross, the hex, the evil eye, the curse or malediction are the properties of the devil, and have no place in our dealings with God.

We all know the familiar story of the person who prayed for vengeance. He asked that a terrible curse be placed on another. This person prayed regularly and fervently that some misfortune be visited on another. That was the only aim in his life. By a strange and ironical twist of fate, the very misfortune that he wished on the head of another, fell on his own fife. So he was repaid for his prayer. Had this person used the same time, effort and energy on intelligently applied prayer, he might have been able to reap the benefits that God gives to them who put their trust in Him and in Him alone. So my second injunction is: "Pray only for Good".

The third important thing to remember is to pray for something that fits into our life. Something that we are prepared for. Something that should belong to us. For example: It would be folly for each of us to ask God to make us the President of the United States. To begin with, very few people are prepared or equipped to be President, and their can be but one President at a time. Other people pray for a million dollars. What they should really pray for is the opportunity to work, and earn a fair salary. We must pray for those things that are within our reach. Those things that fit into our lives. Those things that we are prepared to accept and accomplish. As we progress in our studies, we become more expert in our contacts with God. We build up our receptiveness. As the fruits of our prayers come to us, we are prepared. When the time comes, we understand and appreciate the blessings that our sincere prayers are sure to bring us. God gives us a sign to show us that He has heard our prayers. It is up to us to discover the way in which God has worked His wonder to perform. Our growth and development control our ability to recognize these signs. So my third injunction is: "Pray for the things that are yours".

The fourth important thing to bear in mind is that we can pray for another. Very often our lives are so intimately tied up with the life of another, that the sympathetic bond becomes a real spiritual bond. There are people whose lives influence one another. It may be man and wife. It may be parent and child. It may be friends. It may be lovers. It may be any two people whose understanding sympathy makes them, to all spiritual intents and purposes, one. These people are usually ones who have developed the spiritual understanding to such a degree that they can keep their prayers within the limits that understanding prayer demands. Some people have developed their receptiveness to so high a degree that they can influence the lives of others in a beneficial way. They are the High Chosen Few. Those whose lives and efforts have attained so high a spiritual plane that their saintliness shines from them like a nimbus or a halo of light. They are the True Priests of Life. They understand the physical and spiritual limitations of others. Knowing and understanding these limitations, they know how to help with their prayers. In matters of deep despondency and sadness, in matters of illness and health, we can pray for help for those whom we love, or those who are near to us. God understands these prayers. He knows that they are unselfish prayers, and is ready to accept them as such. So my fourth injunction is: "Raise your voice in prayer for those who are near you and those who call you, friend".

We must be as ready to give thanks as we are to ask a favor. For God measures our capacity for blessings by our ability to appreciate those things that we have. We must learn to be thankful for small favors. We must always be ready and willing to admit that we have been in error. That we were not prepared for the blessings that sincere Prayer brought to us, if we overlooked the opportunities to serve. There should be no shame in facing God and telling Him that we have erred. That's why we are human beings. We must at all times be ready to forgive those who have trespassed against us. We should ask God to forgive them. Have we not a most beautiful example of forgiveness before us? Remember how He said, in the midst of His travail: "Forgive them, Father, for they know not what they do". That should be our motto in Prayer. For that moment when we can understandingly forgive others, we have made our most intimate contact with the Lord and Master.

Above all, we must be open and above board with our God. Never try to make excuses for anything that you've done. God knows your intention before you yourself have thought of it. Hence we learn the answer to our question: "What to Pray For?": Pray for the Vision to see God's Works.

emilyg's avatar - cat anm.gif

United States
                    Member #14
                    November 9, 2001
                    31533 Posts
                    Posted: October 25, 2006, 7:32 pm - IP Logged

Emily:

Wonderful and to the point!!

Floridian

thank you floridian.  i start every day with this short prayer.

love to nibble those micey feet.

ToJo76*'s avatar - lottolion2
                      Middle GA
                      United States
                      Member #42874
                      July 9, 2006
                      3912 Posts
                      Posted: October 25, 2006, 9:32 pm - IP Logged

thank you floridian.  i start every day with this short prayer.

Me too emilyg.  The Prayer of Jabez is awesome.  Prayer absolutely changes things.  I am a firm Believer.  When The Force is with you, the possibilities are endless in all aspects.

Happily embracing my abundance daily! Big Smile

United States
                        Member #30470
                        January 17, 2006
                        10390 Posts
                        Posted: October 26, 2006, 1:14 am - IP Logged

You guys are aware of what happened to the author of the Prayer of Jabez books, Bruce Wilkinson, right? 

He 'expanded his territories' too much, had some kind of mission going in Africa, and had to pull the plug on the whole thing.  

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
                          Wandering Aimlessly
                          United States
                          Member #25360
                          November 5, 2005
                          4461 Posts
                          Posted: October 26, 2006, 3:14 am - IP Logged

Everybody always picks on poor ol' Jack.  He was wealthy way before he hit the lottery. Mother Theresa lived a humble life and probably wouldn't pray for a winning ticket.  If God exists as our Holy Father, both of them are equal. Mr. Whittaker contributed to the poor and built a church in his local community, so how can people on an internet lottery board sit in judgment of this man?

Do I pray for money? Absolutely. Beg, plead, bargain...close my eyes and hope. However, after I ask I usually apologize and say "No, give it to someone more needy. I'll get by."

Regarding whether He answers our prayers with lottery tickets, I have a different view on the whole thing.  When I'm asking for a break every time I buy a lottery ticket, I'm not really praying in the true sense. If God is all-powerful, omnipresent and omnipotent, then praying is quiet listening & meditation to raise our consciousness to a high level so we can understand Godly things. "You cannot Petition the Lord with Prayer" (The Doors)

"For example: It would be folly for each of us to ask God to make us the President of the United States. To begin with, very few people are prepared or equipped to be President, and their can be but one President at a time."  Raven

I agree. I think the past 6 years have made this point very obvious! Wink

s5thomps's avatar - Lottery-033.jpg
                            Hard Luck, Ak
                            United States
                            Member #23472
                            October 13, 2005
                            279 Posts
                            Posted: October 26, 2006, 4:02 am - IP Logged

I agree with your statement, We should not judge Mr. Whittaker he did do a lot of good with the money he won. He contributed to local churches and even formed a foundation to help people less fortunante.  I just feel that he was not prepared for everything that comes along with winning one of the largest jackpots in history.  I can't imagine all the requests for money he got from all over the world from people he didn't even know.  I have read numerous stories on Jack and one thing he said that was interesting, If had to do it all over again he would have been more "low key." But he could have made better choices. Why would anyone in the right mind go to a Gentleman's club with 500,000.00 in a briefcase in a vehicle parked outside of the establishment and happen to mention it to the bartender? That's just a recipe for disaster. Unfortunanetly not only does a huge amount of money change a person, but it changes people around you.  There will always be people out there who will try to take advantage of you, but you should not give them the opportunity to do so. I guess it's true what Puffy Daddy says. "More money, More problems!!"

LOTTOMIKE's avatar - cash money.jpg
                              Tennessee
                              United States
                              Member #7853
                              October 15, 2004
                              11338 Posts
                              Posted: October 26, 2006, 8:09 am - IP Logged

i honestly think that chewie disapearing right after he pissed those christians off will always be the single biggest mystery this site has ever seen.we've all been sitting here since then wondering what in the world happened or was it just a coincidence?  makes you wonder if they hunted him down or if they put a spell on him or something?  maybe he choked on a peanut butter sandwhich while reading an elvis book?  who knows???