Welcome Guest
You last visited December 5, 2016, 9:28 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Need help in understanding betting on Pick 4

Topic closed. 6 replies. Last post 10 years ago by SirMetro.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
Charlotte
United States
Member #42106
June 27, 2006
59 Posts
Posted: October 25, 2006, 4:54 pm - IP Logged

Hope someone on the board can assist me.  I can't quite get my head completely around the best way to play Pick 4 boxed, though I think I am close.

If your playing numbers that have the same digit appearing more than once (i.e.: 7,5,8,7), is it best to buy the ticket at a 6 way, 12 way, or 24 way play?  I am thinking that if you have four individual numbers (i.e.: 4,5,6,7), then a 24 way play is the surest win, placing a 4 way place on a drawing with three of the same (i.e.: 7,7,7,4).  Is this correct?

I am new to playing Pick 4, so I appreciate you suggestions/advice.

Best of Luck!

Nothing beats a try, but a failure!!!!

Lucky Star's avatar - flower2
    Georgia
    United States
    Member #38040
    April 23, 2006
    1643 Posts
    Posted: October 25, 2006, 5:04 pm - IP Logged

If two digits are the same, you can only play  12 way box, correct? (If, you're playing box only)  Is that correct, folks? 

Good Question, CountingMan!!!

Peace.  And, Good Luck!!!

calabs's avatar - bass fret.jpg

United States
      Member #27050
      November 26, 2005
      40272 Posts
      Posted: October 25, 2006, 5:08 pm - IP Logged

Hi CountingMan and welcome to LP!

Regarding you're first question, you can not play a double number (7587) 24 ways, as there are only 12 permutations.  A single number (4567) can be played in 24 different permutations.  You're right regarding the triples with 4 different permuations, and let's not forget the double/double (2277) which has 6 different straight permutations.  It all depends on your budget, how strongly you think the number will hit, and how many numbers you play.  That's up to you!!

Hope this helps.

Good luck!

Lep

Raven62's avatar - binary
        New Jersey
        United States
        Member #17843
        June 28, 2005
        49686 Posts
        Posted: October 25, 2006, 6:38 pm - IP Logged

The Combination determines the Permutation:

If you Bet on 7587 it is automatically a 12 way Bet. (7587=BACB)

Singles: (24 Way) - No Digits Match
        ABCD ABDC ACBD ACDB ADBC ADCB BACD BADC BCAD BCDA BDAC BDCA
        CABD CADB CBAD CBDA CDAB CDBA DABC DACB DBAC DBCA DCAB DCBA

Doubles: (12 Way) - 1 Digit Match
        AABC AACB ABAC ABCA ACAB ACBA BAAC BACA BCAA CAAB CABA CBAA
        ABBC ABCB ACBB BABC BACB BBAC BBCA BCAB BCBA CABB CBAB CBBA
        ABCC ACBC ACCB BACC BCAC BCCA CABC CACB CBAC CBCA CCAB CCBA

Double-Doubles: (6 Way) - 2 Digits Match
        AABB ABAB ABBA BAAB BABA BBAA

Triples: (4 Way) - 3 Digits Match
        AAAB AABA ABAA BAAA
        ABBB BABB BBAB BBBA

Quads: (1 Way) - 4 Digits Match
        AAAA

JAP69's avatar - alas
          South Carolina
          United States
          Member #6
          November 4, 2001
          8790 Posts
          Posted: October 25, 2006, 8:57 pm - IP Logged

Hope someone on the board can assist me.  I can't quite get my head completely around the best way to play Pick 4 boxed, though I think I am close.

If your playing numbers that have the same digit appearing more than once (i.e.: 7,5,8,7), is it best to buy the ticket at a 6 way, 12 way, or 24 way play?  I am thinking that if you have four individual numbers (i.e.: 4,5,6,7), then a 24 way play is the surest win, placing a 4 way place on a drawing with three of the same (i.e.: 7,7,7,4).  Is this correct?

Best of Luck!

The type of number you choose to play will also determine the odds factor of that type of number hitting.

Any type of number can hit at any time but these are the odds factors of the types.

There are 715 pick 4 box types.

combo_________no of______percent
          type__________combos_____drawn
          dbl/dbl box______45_________2.7%
          quads st play____10__________0.1%

WHATT

Griffith, In
            United States
            Member #41637
            June 20, 2006
            266 Posts
            Posted: October 26, 2006, 8:03 am - IP Logged

Best of Luck!

Hi Countingman;

Yes! this is true.... you are on the right track and understanding.

PS. Do you have a Pick 4 system that you may want to share with us here at the LP?

Eddie

SirMetro's avatar - center
              East of Atlanta
              United States
              Member #6191
              August 11, 2004
              1389 Posts
              Posted: October 26, 2006, 8:19 am - IP Logged

Best of Luck!

Ok, perhaps I am misreading the question, but if your playing "BOX", it really doesn't matter what order you have your numbers. It only matters if you are playing "STRAIGHT".

Box = 4 numbers may fall in any order and you win

Straight = 4 numbers must fall exactly as you have selected to win, else you lose

In regards to the 6/12/24 combination plays, unless you have a tested and proven method/system, I would personally advise that you stick with a few box plays at first until you get the confidence of the numbers your selecting. Again, this is just my personal opinion, it's your money, play as you wish, but I would hope you at least consider it. Going for the "Big win" is always cool, but, as I have unfortunantely experienced, sometimes a conservative approach will get you better returns at a lower cost. My most reliable system (creates a 4x4 grid that produces 256 sets) will give me the correct digits most of the time (at a very high price), but sadly, it only gives me the digits in the correct order about 1 out of every 500 or so games.

Good luck and have fun,

Sir Metro