Welcome Guest
You last visited December 7, 2016, 7:22 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Family and friends disaprove of my lotto playings.

Topic closed. 11 replies. Last post 10 years ago by floridian.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
JackpotWanna's avatar - squiz

United States
Member #4121
March 23, 2004
817 Posts
Posted: October 28, 2006, 11:00 pm - IP Logged

Family and friends disaprove of my lotto playing.  Lots of put downs.  I wonder what would happen if I really won a huge jackpot.  hmmmm

Party

<> 

<>
    konane's avatar - wallace
    Atlanta, GA
    United States
    Member #1265
    March 13, 2003
    3333 Posts
    Posted: October 28, 2006, 11:31 pm - IP Logged

Does newest best friend and I always knew you're a winner have any meaning??

Good luck to everyone!

BobP's avatar - bobp avatar.png
      Dump Water Florida
      United States
      Member #380
      June 5, 2002
      3103 Posts
      Posted: October 29, 2006, 1:12 am - IP Logged

You won't know until you win, they ask you for a loan and you say no, then you'll learn what they really think of you. 

Seriously, if you're just having a little fun with money that doesn't matter they should mind their own business and go back to what they waste their money on. 

If lottery is pushing you toward bankrupcy, you need to make a change.  BobP

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
        Wandering Aimlessly
        United States
        Member #25360
        November 5, 2005
        4461 Posts
        Posted: October 29, 2006, 3:02 am - IP Logged

Family and friends disaprove of my lotto playing.  Lots of put downs.  I wonder what would happen if I really won a huge jackpot.  hmmmm

Party

<> 

<>

So why tell them?  The only way someone knows you play is if you need to dip into the family budget, which is not good.  But if you are only playing a few bucks a week, I'd just keep it a secret.  I agree that, if you win, they'll be singing a different tune.

LOTTOMIKE's avatar - cash money.jpg
          Tennessee
          United States
          Member #7853
          October 15, 2004
          11338 Posts
          Posted: October 29, 2006, 7:56 am - IP Logged

i don't tell anyone in my family about me playing the lottery because they think i'm wasting money instead of spending it on my kids or necessities.if they only knew the 5,000 dollars i've won this year alone is where my kids got all their toys,how i got a dvd player,etc,etc......

TheTruth's avatar - Lottery-063.jpg
            Detroit, MI
            United States
            Member #43946
            July 27, 2006
            365 Posts
            Posted: October 29, 2006, 8:34 am - IP Logged

brush it off your shoulders...i get friends who are like that, simply a difference between 2 people's beliefs, don't let that stop you from supporting your family when you need to (assuming you hit). Everybody has their point of view and are entitled to it.

It's water under the bridge

"The happiest moment of your life will be the moment it ends...thats because it doesn't end but goes on in ways so magnificent, so full of peace - wisdom - and joy, as to make it difficult to describe  and impossible for you to comprehend"

God

weshar75's avatar - Lottery-042.jpg
              Mcminnville, Oregon
              United States
              Member #3013
              December 13, 2003
              3051 Posts
              Posted: October 29, 2006, 8:45 am - IP Logged

What you do with your money is a personal choice in life.  Whether you spend it on a soda pop, candy bar, cigarettes, a cold beer, a bottle of wine or one of another million plus choices you can choose in life to do with your money what you want.  I would not give much weight to people that criticize you because after all they can go screw themselves.-weshar75

fja's avatar - gnome1

United States
                Member #91
                January 19, 2002
                11931 Posts
                Posted: October 29, 2006, 8:56 am - IP Logged

CheersSad CheersI Agree!  Its my hobby,,,,,,I see lots of people spending $100-$150  playing golf 2 or 3 times a week,,,,should we laugh at them....after all, they're not pros,,,,there is no million dollar prize at the end of the day......its the price they pay to kill 4 or 5 hours in the day......

"Everybody has to believe in something...I believe I'll have another beer!"   = W.C.Fields                      

Sunny California
                  United States
                  Member #40295
                  May 31, 2006
                  7712 Posts
                  Posted: October 29, 2006, 9:17 am - IP Logged

I wouldn't worry about it. If it's your hobby and you're having fun and enjoying yourself then that's all that matters. As long as you keep it in perspective and within your budget then no one should make you feel bad about it. If they do, I say they're just jealous that you've found a "passion" and they haven't in their life. My father always said, "If you're going to dream, dream BIG!" Guess some of us are bigger dreamers then others but nothing wrong with that in my book!!

charh20's avatar - ICONATOR be3777802402ed40fe6d8770cf33207f.gif
                    Winchester, Kentucky
                    United States
                    Member #42711
                    July 7, 2006
                    1201 Posts
                    Posted: October 29, 2006, 9:26 am - IP Logged

Party

<> 

<>

Just don't mention anything about it again to them.  As long as it doesn't take away from your family's income you have it made. 

Just remember to pay the bills first,,,,,lol...

This is a Hobby to me too, and I LOVE to come in here and read the posts.  Your family will not have anything to talk about if you don't give them anything to talk about.  Just go and have fun and play.  I have learned over the years, not to worry about what other people think of me, but I think that that comes with age.

Have fun,,,,,,,,you only live once,,,,,,,,,, Jack O' Lantern 

SirMetro's avatar - center
                      East of Atlanta
                      United States
                      Member #6191
                      August 11, 2004
                      1389 Posts
                      Posted: October 29, 2006, 12:36 pm - IP Logged

Does newest best friend and I always knew you're a winner have any meaning??

I agree with Konane...be amazed at how many "Loving" family members you suddenly have if you hit it big.

Sir Metro

floridian's avatar - DiscoBallGlowing

United States
                        Member #45802
                        August 28, 2006
                        335 Posts
                        Posted: October 29, 2006, 1:05 pm - IP Logged

Party

<> 

<>

JackpotWanna:

If you won a jackpot you would be the best thing since sliced bread.  You would be revered by your whole family and people would come out of the woodwork claiming to be part of your family.

I think playing the Lottery is a personal thing.  After all you don't tell members of your family what they do is wrong, do you?  If you do not then I cannot see any reason for them looking down on you.

One last point, you would not even have to win a huge jackpot to change their  opinion.  Just win say a Fantasy5 (pick 5 game in Florida) for say $250,000. You watch the frowns become pleasing smiles. Take my word for it.

Floridian