Welcome Guest
You last visited December 9, 2016, 8:10 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Being Prepared

Topic closed. 16 replies. Last post 10 years ago by bambini.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink

How far in advance to you purchase jackpot tickets?

After the last drawing (next day) [ 3 ]  [6.25%]
The day before the drawing [ 5 ]  [10.42%]
I buy advance play tickets for multiple drawings [ 9 ]  [18.75%]
I usually buy them the same day [ 13 ]  [27.08%]
I wait until the very last minute [ 6 ]  [12.50%]
I don't care. I just buy them when the mood hits [ 12 ]  [25.00%]
Total Valid Votes [ 48 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 3 ]  
justxploring's avatar - villiarna
Wandering Aimlessly
United States
Member #25360
November 5, 2005
4461 Posts
Posted: October 29, 2006, 1:22 am - IP Logged

Today my car broke down (again) and I was stuck for hours waiting for AAA to tow me to the dealership.  I honestly thought nothing more could go wrong with this car. 

Besides thinking "OMG, I'm going to lose my new job" and wondering when someone was going to crash into me as my car sat in the middle of the road, I also watched the time on my cell phone remembering that I hadn't yet purchased my Saturday Lotto tickets.  I was already in a state of panic, but I knew that I had to get to the ATM and then the store before 10.  I decided to buy groceries and just use my debit card for some cashback to save time. Got to Publix by 8:00, so I made it in plenty of time.

So, do you plan for these emergencies or just buy your tickets at the last minute?

emilyg's avatar - cat anm.gif

United States
    Member #14
    November 9, 2001
    31362 Posts
    Posted: October 29, 2006, 1:23 am - IP Logged

day of drawing - if i don't get them it's ok, too.  cash 3 i must have.  jackpot games so-so.

Owl 2 

love to nibble those micey feet.

Kidzmom's avatar - cold
      NC
      United States
      Member #11741
      February 23, 2005
      1233 Posts
      Posted: October 29, 2006, 1:24 am - IP Logged

I buy my tickets the day before on my way to work.

Wandering Aimlessly
        United States
        Member #25360
        November 5, 2005
        4461 Posts
        Posted: October 29, 2006, 1:27 am - IP Logged

That was fast.  Didn't think anyone was going to read this at 1:30 in the morning.  Thanks, Kidzmom.  Good idea to buy them a day early!

Kidzmom's avatar - cold
          NC
          United States
          Member #11741
          February 23, 2005
          1233 Posts
          Posted: October 29, 2006, 1:34 am - IP Logged

you're welcome, lol .. I work the nightshift.

dvdiva's avatar - 8ball

United States
            Member #2338
            September 17, 2003
            2063 Posts
            Posted: October 29, 2006, 1:40 am - IP Logged

Depends how easy it is getting the tickets. For Powerball maybe 2 drawings purchased 48 hours in advance. If Mega got big I might buy the same day as the drawing but I really haven't had to worry about that.

starchild_45's avatar - spherewall2
              kent, washington
              United States
              Member #3509
              January 26, 2004
              465 Posts
              Posted: October 29, 2006, 5:19 am - IP Logged

strictly addicted to multiple drawing tickets. i don't like standing in line when the jackpot gets large. now the large jackpots are so common no one stands in line until 250 million or more.

MULTIPLE DRAWINGS ARE THE WAY TO GO.

SirMetro's avatar - center
                East of Atlanta
                United States
                Member #6191
                August 11, 2004
                1389 Posts
                Posted: October 29, 2006, 12:22 pm - IP Logged

I hope your AAA tow truck driver wasn't like mine. I think mine was imported straight from hell (also known as the back streets of the Italion side of New York City).

I will have to say that it was the fastest my little truck ever went (his odemeter registered 95 on the expressway and when we jumped the rail road track, I don't know how fast he was going, I was actually praying by then).

In regards to your question, I generally wait to the very last second to buy any of my tickets. This helps to discourage me from spending the money.

Sir Metro

guesser's avatar - Lottery-017.jpg

United States
                  Member #41383
                  June 16, 2006
                  1969 Posts
                  Posted: October 29, 2006, 12:26 pm - IP Logged

Usually after 6 pm the night of the drawing.

This presented a problem this summer when a lightning hit knocked out the power at my local Kum&Go, but they

got the power back on in time.   It didn't make any difference, if memory serves, I shoulda saved my $10.   

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                    mid-Ohio
                    United States
                    Member #9
                    March 24, 2001
                    19830 Posts
                    Posted: October 29, 2006, 2:21 pm - IP Logged

I usually play within a hour of the drawing unless I plan to be busy at that time to avoid having second thoughts about the combinations I've picked to play.  Some times problems have prevented me from playing at the last minute but I'm not one of those players who can claim my numbers came in the night I couldn't play.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

Wandering Aimlessly
                      United States
                      Member #25360
                      November 5, 2005
                      4461 Posts
                      Posted: October 29, 2006, 5:32 pm - IP Logged

I hope your AAA tow truck driver wasn't like mine. I think mine was imported straight from hell (also known as the back streets of the Italion side of New York City).

I will have to say that it was the fastest my little truck ever went (his odemeter registered 95 on the expressway and when we jumped the rail road track, I don't know how fast he was going, I was actually praying by then).

In regards to your question, I generally wait to the very last second to buy any of my tickets. This helps to discourage me from spending the money.

Sir Metro

The tow last month was like that, but this driver was great. He was very careful with my car and I was amazed how he backed up right into the service area. I'm happy it was a flatbed. I never got a chance to say good-bye and thanks. Unfortunately, around this area it takes AAA hours to get to an emergency. This time was around 2, but last month I was stuck for about 5 hours.  It was very different when I lived in MA & NH. I think Florida is just way too crowded.

Regarding the tickets, I can understand waiting until the last minute.  If I buy tickets early, I have a habit of picking up 2 or 3 more (quick picks) the evening of the drawing if I have a few bucks in my poclet.

Coastal Georgia
                        United States
                        Member #2653
                        October 30, 2003
                        1866 Posts
                        Posted: October 29, 2006, 8:23 pm - IP Logged

I always get my tickets the day of the draw- but if I need to go across the line for Powerball, sometimes I will get them earlier in the week depending on my schedule.

For my GA games, I always get them same day. I'm pretty much resigned to quick picks now, since they are normally the ones that hit the larger JP games . 

DD

jarasan's avatar - new patrick.gif
                          Harbinger
                          D.C./MD.
                          United States
                          Member #44103
                          July 30, 2006
                          5583 Posts
                          Posted: October 29, 2006, 8:42 pm - IP Logged

Today my car broke down (again) and I was stuck for hours waiting for AAA to tow me to the dealership.  I honestly thought nothing more could go wrong with this car. 

Besides thinking "OMG, I'm going to lose my new job" and wondering when someone was going to crash into me as my car sat in the middle of the road, I also watched the time on my cell phone remembering that I hadn't yet purchased my Saturday Lotto tickets.  I was already in a state of panic, but I knew that I had to get to the ATM and then the store before 10.  I decided to buy groceries and just use my debit card for some cashback to save time. Got to Publix by 8:00, so I made it in plenty of time.

So, do you plan for these emergencies or just buy your tickets at the last minute?

I always buy same day, and when I travel I usually go to states that have jackpot games.

I am sorry you're having car troubles.  I hope they get it right this time, and give you back a car that is reliable.

LOL jarasan

JackpotWanna's avatar - squiz

United States
                            Member #4121
                            March 23, 2004
                            817 Posts
                            Posted: November 25, 2006, 9:39 pm - IP Logged

I buy them a day before the drawing,

Party

tntea's avatar - Lottery-059.jpg

United States
                              Member #5344
                              June 30, 2004
                              23641 Posts
                              Posted: November 25, 2006, 9:56 pm - IP Logged

I am buying my Lotto 5's for 4 draws at a time. I have noticed with my system, usually 2 or 3 of my numbers fall within of week of predicting them.. So I am going to be prepared and run them for four draws instead of one..

OLD/Vtrac   Lottery Bible         Double Warnings      Thumbs Up TN F34/F44