Welcome Guest
You last visited December 2, 2016, 9:30 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Revealed: How To Win The Lottery

Topic closed. 12 replies. Last post 10 years ago by lucky146.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
Entertaiment Capital
United States
Member #37800
April 19, 2006
302 Posts
Posted: October 31, 2006, 12:30 am - IP Logged

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/25102006/140/revealed-win-lottery.html 

A group of university professors and maths experts has revealed the secret of their ?5.2m lottery win. The 17-member syndicate had tried - and failed - for years to land a large sum. Like many people, each member chose their own line of numbers and then waited with crossed their fingers.

But they decided to use their brains and came up with a winning scheme.

All of the 49 lottery numbers were written on separate pieces of paper and placed in a box.

Each member of the team - from Bradford University and College - then picked six numbers until eight lines were filled, using 48 of the 49 numbers.

The remaining number was then used to start another line and the process started again until 17 lines were completed.

Syndicate leader Barry Waterhouse said: "We just weren't winning with the numbers being picked.

"So we thought of a different method which would mean all 49 numbers would be used.

"We just had to stick with the numbers and we knew we would win eventually."

The system was used for four years - with £3,536 spent on tickets - before the syndicate hit it big last weekend.

Each member of the team, which includes other university staff, won just over £311,700.

Camelot said the usual odds of hitting the jackpot was 14 million to one but employing the boffins' system reduced the odds "drastically".

United States
    Member #24439
    October 22, 2005
    638 Posts
    Posted: October 31, 2006, 12:11 pm - IP Logged

What was the system? i don't get it

dvdiva's avatar - 8ball

United States
      Member #2338
      September 17, 2003
      2063 Posts
      Posted: October 31, 2006, 2:37 pm - IP Logged

Since they only won once, they can't conclude anything.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
        mid-Ohio
        United States
        Member #9
        March 24, 2001
        19816 Posts
        Posted: October 31, 2006, 3:29 pm - IP Logged

Obviously if they played all 49 numbers they covered all six winning numbers every time and the worst they could do if they covered them twice were to match 1 twelve times.  They proved if you play long enough and cover all the numbers you can get lucky and win.  They proved what most lotteries advertise "you can't win unless you play".

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

guesser's avatar - Lottery-017.jpg

United States
          Member #41383
          June 16, 2006
          1969 Posts
          Posted: October 31, 2006, 4:08 pm - IP Logged

Obviously if they played all 49 numbers they covered all six winning numbers every time and the worst they could do if they covered them twice were to match 1 twelve times.  They proved if you play long enough and cover all the numbers you can get lucky and win.  They proved what most lotteries advertise "you can't win unless you play".

Ok, I guess this is where we distinguish between a 'random system', an 'educated system', and a 'forced system'.

They played the latter, where they had no choice but to take whatever numbers they drew.  It wasn't a random system because all numbers were used/assigned  (except for one, which a person would argue that ONE number not used introduces randomness into it.  It does, kinda, but not what I would call honest randomness).

And now I'm going to have to answer 37 postings asking for a clarification as to what I mean.   (not gonna happen).

And RJ, you said what I've been saying for months: you can't win unless you play, and you gotta play 'something'. 

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
            mid-Ohio
            United States
            Member #9
            March 24, 2001
            19816 Posts
            Posted: October 31, 2006, 4:32 pm - IP Logged

I use a random generator program which allows me to play using any of those systems or a combination of them depending on the parameters I enter.  It loads up a file with the history of a lottery and then pick combinations accordingly.  I may even be picking numbers using a system that has yet to be defined.

Evil Looking       

floridian's avatar - DiscoBallGlowing

United States
              Member #45802
              August 28, 2006
              335 Posts
              Posted: October 31, 2006, 5:11 pm - IP Logged

I use a random generator program which allows me to play using any of those systems or a combination of them depending on the parameters I enter.  It loads up a file with the history of a lottery and then pick combinations accordingly.  I may even be picking numbers using a system that has yet to be defined.

RJ

I have read where several people called it the law or the theory of large numbers whereby you run a RNG several times generating several large number sets of combinations ( say hundred thousand, 1/2 million, a million or more several times).  Then you are to select a winning combination from each of the RNG runs at the end or near the end of the run.  This I am told give some sort of an advantage because it is in the realm of large numbers.

Does this make any sense to you or just another hopeful idea?.  Curious to know what you think.

Floridian

Coastal Georgia
                United States
                Member #2653
                October 30, 2003
                1866 Posts
                Posted: October 31, 2006, 5:15 pm - IP Logged

They won because they had the 6 numbers that were drawn, just like all winners do.

Well, they have that in common anyhoo.

DD

oxford
                  United Kingdom
                  Member #46998
                  October 13, 2006
                  9 Posts
                  Posted: October 31, 2006, 6:42 pm - IP Logged

i have been doing that system for about the same time so i must be due to win it soon too

oxford
                    United Kingdom
                    Member #46998
                    October 13, 2006
                    9 Posts
                    Posted: October 31, 2006, 6:49 pm - IP Logged

and it would have cost them £7956 if they played it saturdays and wednesdays as most syndicates do over here in the uk

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                      mid-Ohio
                      United States
                      Member #9
                      March 24, 2001
                      19816 Posts
                      Posted: October 31, 2006, 7:25 pm - IP Logged

RJ

I have read where several people called it the law or the theory of large numbers whereby you run a RNG several times generating several large number sets of combinations ( say hundred thousand, 1/2 million, a million or more several times).  Then you are to select a winning combination from each of the RNG runs at the end or near the end of the run.  This I am told give some sort of an advantage because it is in the realm of large numbers.

Does this make any sense to you or just another hopeful idea?.  Curious to know what you think.

Floridian

I do believe if you pick 1/2 million combinations, you would have some winners among them but the trick is separating the winners from the losers and those winners could be any where in the group.  When I use my random generator program, it usually generates and checks about two hundred combinations for each one it accepts using the parameters I've entered. 

I usually only pick 10-25 combinations to play and it would take a lot more time to pick 10-25 combinations out a half millions and I don't know if the extra effort would be time well spent.  Sounds like a good project for a lottery player with some extra time on his hands.

Evil Looking       

BobP's avatar - bobp avatar.png
                        Dump Water Florida
                        United States
                        Member #380
                        June 5, 2002
                        3102 Posts
                        Posted: November 1, 2006, 12:47 am - IP Logged

They did pretty much what I've been saying for some time. 

Put ALL the numbers into play in the minimum number of lines.  They did it twice which picks up the one number out.

Put 49 numbered slips into a hat and draw them out in sets of six. When all but one are accounted for refill the hat and do it again.

Buying 17 tickets reduces the odds vs buying 1 ticket.

Playing all the numbers in the minimum number of lines changes the game from 6/49 (1in13.9 mil) to 6/36 (1in1.9 mil).  No more then six lines can contain winning numbers!  Your odds of winning something are greatly improved.

BobP

lucky146's avatar - animal monkey.jpg
                          ny
                          United States
                          Member #40152
                          May 28, 2006
                          77 Posts
                          Posted: November 1, 2006, 1:29 pm - IP Logged

Yeah, this is the method i've been using for lotto recently. Although if I have a number or two left over at the end i'll just guess with the rest as opposed to picking until there are no numbers remaining. In NY it costs $5 to play all 59 numbers.

So far the best I've gottten is 3/6 though. I like this method because it's quick and exciting knowing all 6 winning numbers will be on your ticket. For me, using analysis on the bigger games is a waste of time.