Welcome Guest
You last visited December 4, 2016, 5:20 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Forum topic layout

Topic closed. 8 replies. Last post 10 years ago by Todd.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
megamillionaire's avatar - Sphere animated_small_ neg2.gif
Queens, NY
United States
Member #245
April 15, 2002
451 Posts
Posted: November 1, 2006, 9:46 pm - IP Logged

I've been checking into the gasbuddy.com forums daily and like the fact thast the last post to a topic come right after the original post to the topic. that way you don't have to go to the last page to see the last post. Which make the whole thing much more coherent.

Megamillionaire

Time is a wonderful teacher, but it kills all its students.

A man must consider what a rich realm he leaves when he becomes a conformist.

LottoVantage's avatar - BRITIS 3.GIF
    Southeastern Ohio
    United States
    Member #13850
    April 16, 2005
    783 Posts
    Posted: November 3, 2006, 10:33 am - IP Logged

It would really be handy, convenient, and resourceful if there were two seperate "Recent Post" columns for Pick 3 & 4 comments, and Pick 5 & Jackpot comments! There are two totally seperate groups of interest here at LP. The Pick 3 & 4 group is unquestionably the busiest, remarking constantly on their area of interest. When comments are posted regarding the Pick 5 & Jackpot areas, they are shoved off the column within minutes without a chance for a reply from others who's primary interest is Pick 5 or Jackpot games! Additionally, there should be additional columns added for political comments, and one special area for all the diddelywhat comments totally unrelated to lotteries. This would be convenient for those who are posting with serious lottery content, and for the rest who just want to gabb, or don't have a clue and just want to hop on board with a sinceless comment moving everything else off the board.

Raven62's avatar - binary
      New Jersey
      United States
      Member #17843
      June 28, 2005
      49674 Posts
      Posted: November 3, 2006, 10:51 am - IP Logged

It would really be handy, convenient, and resourceful if there were two seperate "Recent Post" columns for Pick 3 & 4 comments, and Pick 5 & Jackpot comments! There are two totally seperate groups of interest here at LP. The Pick 3 & 4 group is unquestionably the busiest, remarking constantly on their area of interest. When comments are posted regarding the Pick 5 & Jackpot areas, they are shoved off the column within minutes without a chance for a reply from others who's primary interest is Pick 5 or Jackpot games! Additionally, there should be additional columns added for political comments, and one special area for all the diddelywhat comments totally unrelated to lotteries. This would be convenient for those who are posting with serious lottery content, and for the rest who just want to gabb, or don't have a clue and just want to hop on board with a sinceless comment moving everything else off the board.

Have you tried Active Topics? One of the Show Activity settings may give you what you want.

Southeastern Ohio
        United States
        Member #13850
        April 16, 2005
        783 Posts
        Posted: November 3, 2006, 11:58 am - IP Logged

"Active Topics" use is simply more of the same thing I am advocating, having to leave the home page and search for recent topics of interest elsewhere. Because Pick 5 & Jackpot posts are not as active, those recent posts do not stand a chance for comment because they are rapidly shoved of the page by the non stop flood of comments being posted by Pick 3 & 4 guests/visitors.

When newcomers arrive at the home page they have no clue where to start searching for their personal area of interest. What they do see is 99% comments from recent Pick 3 & 4 players.

When regular Pick 5 & Jackpot guests return to LP after being away for a period of time, the recent posts regarding Pick 5 & Jackpot games have long dissappeared from the constant flood of Pick 3 &4 comments, and the search begins for recent comments in their/our own primary area of interest. Having two columns would solve this problem without the inconvenience of having to search for recent comments upon every return to LP.

Raven62's avatar - binary
          New Jersey
          United States
          Member #17843
          June 28, 2005
          49674 Posts
          Posted: November 3, 2006, 12:20 pm - IP Logged

"Active Topics" use is simply more of the same thing I am advocating, having to leave the home page and search for recent topics of interest elsewhere. Because Pick 5 & Jackpot posts are not as active, those recent posts do not stand a chance for comment because they are rapidly shoved of the page by the non stop flood of comments being posted by Pick 3 & 4 guests/visitors.

When newcomers arrive at the home page they have no clue where to start searching for their personal area of interest. What they do see is 99% comments from recent Pick 3 & 4 players.

When regular Pick 5 & Jackpot guests return to LP after being away for a period of time, the recent posts regarding Pick 5 & Jackpot games have long dissappeared from the constant flood of Pick 3 &4 comments, and the search begins for recent comments in their/our own primary area of interest. Having two columns would solve this problem without the inconvenience of having to search for recent comments upon every return to LP.

Active Topic has a setting: "Since Last Visit with Date/Time" which allows one to view posts that occurred "Since Your Last Visit" and a quick way to catch up.

When New Comers arrive at the LP default page hovering their mouse pointer over the forums tab gives them a quick link to their desired area of Lottery Interest.

Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
            Chief Bottle Washer
            New Jersey
            United States
            Member #1
            May 31, 2000
            23260 Posts
            Posted: November 3, 2006, 12:55 pm - IP Logged

Thanks to all of you who took the time to post your suggestions.  They are all great.

Having the ability to sort threads in reverse order (in addition to the default sorting method) is something that I will be adding at some point.  However, because it is a discussion thread, and everyone is not necessarily just reacting to the first post, I would not list the first post at the top, followed by the other comments in reverse order.  That would also be too confusing.

I would agree that the Active Topics page is the best way to catch up on what's happening, even in some of the smaller forums.  Anyone who is not familiar with that page should absolutely learn to use it.  The Active Topics page is the single-most important forum page for seeing everything that's happened since your last visit.

I do also like LottoVantage's suggestion of different views for the front page, and it fits well with what I have planned already for the front page.  Without saying too much, you will definitely be able to see that view you described.

Check the State Lottery Report Card
            What grade did your lottery earn?

Sign the Petition for True Lottery Drawings
            Help eliminate computerized drawings!

Snakeyes's avatar - 8579390479 65f71643cf_m.jpg
              Cleveland, Ohio
              United States
              Member #11445
              February 13, 2005
              1303 Posts
              Posted: November 3, 2006, 1:26 pm - IP Logged

Thanks to all of you who took the time to post your suggestions.  They are all great.

Having the ability to sort threads in reverse order (in addition to the default sorting method) is something that I will be adding at some point.  However, because it is a discussion thread, and everyone is not necessarily just reacting to the first post, I would not list the first post at the top, followed by the other comments in reverse order.  That would also be too confusing.

I would agree that the Active Topics page is the best way to catch up on what's happening, even in some of the smaller forums.  Anyone who is not familiar with that page should absolutely learn to use it.  The Active Topics page is the single-most important forum page for seeing everything that's happened since your last visit.

I do also like LottoVantage's suggestion of different views for the front page, and it fits well with what I have planned already for the front page.  Without saying too much, you will definitely be able to see that view you described.

Todd et-al,

One suggestion I would like to make and...sort of contradicts your thoughts on having the first post at the top:

Have the original post at the top of the thread and regardless of what page of the thread you are on. What like about this setup is the reader can easily scroll up to read / refer back to the original post without the extra effort of backing out of pages. There have been some great discussions on LP that have gone 20 pages plus. However, it becomes cumbersome to back out of a page to to the original post when trying to understand and/or respond.

I'm not too keen on the reversing order of posts however, I would like to be able to roll my mouse wheel to the top of a page and always be able to read / refer back to the original post.

Another suggestion to note (and it may be the same as your active topics setup); Suppose we could personalize the forum set-up for our own preferences? I belong to a popular remote control hobby site and with my membership, I have the option to set-up the forums based on my interest and I use it. This way, I am always seeing posts about warbirds and jets at the top of my forum list, although the most popular thread is those with electric planes, etc.  

Just my $.02

Southeastern Ohio
                United States
                Member #13850
                April 16, 2005
                783 Posts
                Posted: November 3, 2006, 2:09 pm - IP Logged

Thanks, Todd! Can't hardly wait for the changes you have planned to take effect...

Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
                  Chief Bottle Washer
                  New Jersey
                  United States
                  Member #1
                  May 31, 2000
                  23260 Posts
                  Posted: November 3, 2006, 2:10 pm - IP Logged

Todd et-al,

One suggestion I would like to make and...sort of contradicts your thoughts on having the first post at the top:

Have the original post at the top of the thread and regardless of what page of the thread you are on. What like about this setup is the reader can easily scroll up to read / refer back to the original post without the extra effort of backing out of pages. There have been some great discussions on LP that have gone 20 pages plus. However, it becomes cumbersome to back out of a page to to the original post when trying to understand and/or respond.

I'm not too keen on the reversing order of posts however, I would like to be able to roll my mouse wheel to the top of a page and always be able to read / refer back to the original post.

Another suggestion to note (and it may be the same as your active topics setup); Suppose we could personalize the forum set-up for our own preferences? I belong to a popular remote control hobby site and with my membership, I have the option to set-up the forums based on my interest and I use it. This way, I am always seeing posts about warbirds and jets at the top of my forum list, although the most popular thread is those with electric planes, etc.  

Just my $.02

Thank you for the suggestions and your experiences.

Check the State Lottery Report Card
                  What grade did your lottery earn?

Sign the Petition for True Lottery Drawings
                  Help eliminate computerized drawings!