Welcome Guest
You last visited December 4, 2016, 3:15 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

If you hit a jackpot.........

Topic closed. 13 replies. Last post 10 years ago by tiggs95.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink

Is there at least one person you would have to get away from?

Oh yeah! [ 7 ]  [21.21%]
One? Oh, more than one! [ 16 ]  [48.48%]
LP JP Winner Protection Program here [ 3 ]  [9.09%]
I'd need a new identity [ 4 ]  [12.12%]
Mossad [ 0 ]  [0.00%]
Other- explain if you will [ 3 ]  [9.09%]
Total Valid Votes [ 33 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 6 ]  
Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
Zeta Reticuli Star System
United States
Member #30470
January 17, 2006
10345 Posts
Posted: November 2, 2006, 2:33 am - IP Logged

If you were to win a jackpot, is there at least one person you know you would have to get away from?

(Considering many threads here discussing things like this).  

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

Sunny California
    United States
    Member #40295
    May 31, 2006
    7712 Posts
    Posted: November 2, 2006, 9:55 am - IP Logged

Great question! And yes, MORE THAN ONE!!

sirbrad's avatar - Lottery-062.jpg
      PA
      United States
      Member #22983
      October 6, 2005
      2226 Posts
      Posted: November 2, 2006, 7:31 pm - IP Logged

No one, I control my own destiny and make my own decisions; others don't. The weak run and and hide, the strong survive and face adversity.

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
        Zeta Reticuli Star System
        United States
        Member #30470
        January 17, 2006
        10345 Posts
        Posted: November 2, 2006, 8:19 pm - IP Logged

sirbad 

Let's take a case of a couple separated, awaiting divorce, and one of them hits a lottery jackpot.  

We know the other one would want their 'fair share' (horsefeathers) even if they had abandoned the one who hit.  

What about a case like that?

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
          Wandering Aimlessly
          United States
          Member #25360
          November 5, 2005
          4461 Posts
          Posted: November 2, 2006, 8:58 pm - IP Logged

I checked more than one because of reporters and fundraisers.  Regarding other people, I wouldn't hide from anyone. If there's someone I don't respect enough to confront openly, what he/she thinks or does shouldn't really matter to me.

Regarding the separated couple case, it would depend on the state.  There was a thread on this subject once.  Some states don't even recognize the words "legally separated" and state a couple is either married or not married.  Some are more liberal.  In the majority of cases, it would just be bad luck for the winner.  Getting away from the situation won't help since the date of the drawing is the date the court will use to determine rightful ownership.  A man in Florida did exactly what you're talking about and was trying to hide from his estranged wife, but as the expression goes "you can run but you can't hide."

Rick G's avatar - avatar 1766.jpg
            FEMA Region V Camp #21
            United States
            Member #520
            July 27, 2002
            5699 Posts
            Posted: November 2, 2006, 9:54 pm - IP Logged

HA! funny post, Coin Toss...............you know my vote goes to the LP Witness Protection Program.  The irony is that the one buck I win on the Little Lotto no one seems to care about it enough to steal it from me....but I'd still like to enter the program for other reasons.

Posted 4/6:  IL Pick 3 midday and evening until they hit:  555, 347 (str8).

floridian's avatar - DiscoBallGlowing

United States
              Member #45802
              August 28, 2006
              335 Posts
              Posted: November 2, 2006, 10:29 pm - IP Logged

If you were to win a jackpot, is there at least one person you know you would have to get away from?

(Considering many threads here discussing things like this).  

CT

I voted for more than one but since I have not won a big one and had the problem I am not sure.

This is a good thread because we all get a chance to hear what some of the pitfalls may be from winning.

Obviously, if I won I would be befriended by anyone who even recognized my name.  I have heard some people have had to literally leave town to gain some piece and quiet and most important a feeling of security.

It seems like there would be so many people looking over your shoulder, the IRS, one time friends, family members you have not and did not want to see for many reasons, persons that feel you should give them money just because they ask for it.

At the same time I describe the above, some winners take it all in stride and just roll with the punches.  Maybe, they are the ones that should win anyway because they usually do a lot with their winnings.

Anyway, the problem is fun to think about and ponder for a while.

Floridian 

dingo's avatar - lottery of-birth.jpg
                San Jose, California
                United States
                Member #42003
                June 26, 2006
                206 Posts
                Posted: November 3, 2006, 12:01 am - IP Logged

I will get away from many people as quick as I can. Hearing a lot of need for money can make me go crazy.

jarasan's avatar - new patrick.gif
                  Harbinger
                  D.C./MD.
                  United States
                  Member #44103
                  July 30, 2006
                  5583 Posts
                  Posted: November 3, 2006, 12:23 am - IP Logged

I gotta chime in on this one.  I lend people money just to get them to stay away,  'cause they'll stay away to avoid paying it back.  It is very effective, they know, because of their pride, next time they see me, they gotta pay back. You know the scenario, "Yeah I'll pay you Fri. when I get paid".  Here is a perfect example of this, the most recent: it happened 4 weeks ago.   A guy that works at the beer/wine/newspaper/lottery place I go to almost everyday for lottery, 4 weeks ago, asks me to borrow $10.00 cause he running short before pay-day next Tues., he'd have the money Tues..  All I have is twenties, so I show him a twenty, he says $20 would be more helpful, I agree, so I give him the twenty.  I have seen him at least 25 times since; he ran out of excuses, but you know what? He isn't getting another dime out of me, ever again, unless he pays me back  and he knows it.  Yesterday,  I heard him making excuses to someone else who lent him some money. TOO FUNNY!

Anyway I have a couple of "friends" that I lent money to, and it has been years since I've seen them.  Totally worth it.

LOL jarasan

Fool me once, shame on you;  try and fool me again, won't happen.No Pity!

concord NH
                    United States
                    Member #47249
                    October 27, 2006
                    22 Posts
                    Posted: November 3, 2006, 3:27 am - IP Logged

I don't have the link but read recently about a guy who won the lottery and kept it from his wife...They were separated at the time...Well the divorce went thru and of course the woman brought him to court....Well the judge gave her all the money....The guy got nothing...I don't know how true the story was but do remember reading about it...

So if you are married and the divorce didn't go thru yet, do yourself a favor and don't keep it a secret if you win....It just may cost you all your winnings...

concord NH
                      United States
                      Member #47249
                      October 27, 2006
                      22 Posts
                      Posted: November 3, 2006, 3:34 am - IP Logged

If you win a ton of money, move yourself into a gated community and don't have a house phone...use a couple cells and give your number only to those you want to....You could even burn all mail you get and just use registered mail...People will come at you at all directions...eliminate them all and you don't have any worries...If your parents are still living, you can tell any of your "friends" that your parents are the ones who won the money but they put it in your name for tax reasons...But you don't have any access to it...They are taking care of you though....

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                        mid-Ohio
                        United States
                        Member #9
                        March 24, 2001
                        19821 Posts
                        Posted: November 3, 2006, 5:43 pm - IP Logged

I don't have the link but read recently about a guy who won the lottery and kept it from his wife...They were separated at the time...Well the divorce went thru and of course the woman brought him to court....Well the judge gave her all the money....The guy got nothing...I don't know how true the story was but do remember reading about it...

So if you are married and the divorce didn't go thru yet, do yourself a favor and don't keep it a secret if you win....It just may cost you all your winnings...

I read a similar story, but it was about a woman in an office lottery pool in California that won a lottery jackpot.  She kept her share of the winnings a secret and started divorce proceedings from her unemployed husband and he found out about it after the divorce was finalized.  He went back to court and sued for his share of their winnings and as punishment the judge award him all of their winnings. 

I never did hear whether she went back to court to get alimony, something she wasn't seeking originally.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

tntea's avatar - Lottery-059.jpg

United States
                          Member #5344
                          June 30, 2004
                          23641 Posts
                          Posted: November 4, 2006, 9:37 am - IP Logged

No one cause me to leave my home because of a jackpot win.

I would just be blunt and say NO...

OLD/Vtrac   Lottery Bible         Double Warnings      Thumbs Up TN F34/F44

tiggs95's avatar - Lottery-036.jpg

United States
                            Member #47420
                            November 4, 2006
                            3930 Posts
                            Posted: November 4, 2006, 10:18 am - IP Logged

Don't promise anyone any money...