Welcome Guest
You last visited December 5, 2016, 3:33 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

CA automata applied to lottery

Topic closed. 8 replies. Last post 10 years ago by jokerh1977.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
jokerh1977's avatar - animal duck.jpg
Washington
United States
Member #47309
October 30, 2006
34 Posts
Posted: November 4, 2006, 5:13 pm - IP Logged

Hey all,

Long time lurker here, but new member!

I'm interested in the sciences that revolve around finding patterns in seemingly random events. This of course can be argued back and forth, but "cellular automation" is a model used for finding these patterns. Here is an overview of CA automata: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cellular_automata

Anywho, there is this fella who works with these models for logistics, etc... and in what he calls "fun" he wrote a model to analyze megamillions. His results were astoundingly good. He claims never to have spent a dollar on the lottery, and simply wanted to see how well it applied to the lottery. He provides this open source code of his here: http://forum.wolframscience.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=484 scroll about halfway through the thread and download "lottopredictor.zip"

This is free open source code, and he runs no lottery business of any sort. Now, I can hold my own in the science/math area but I know NOTHING of code and how to apply it to a functional sort of program. All the files are text files sooooo... for you code savvy members out there, how can we apply this to megamillions or better yet a pick 5 or 6 game? Read the "read me" file to get started.

This is an extremely interesting discrete model (CA automaton that is) and I'm hoping we really can use this!

What a wonderful world...

Washington
    United States
    Member #47309
    October 30, 2006
    34 Posts
    Posted: November 4, 2006, 7:36 pm - IP Logged

Is it written in Java? Would we need a java compiler?

Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
      Chief Bottle Washer
      New Jersey
      United States
      Member #1
      May 31, 2000
      23260 Posts
      Posted: November 4, 2006, 7:44 pm - IP Logged

On of the difficulties I can see here is that the idea requires the history of Mega Millions drawings in drawn order.  I personally am not aware of a source for that info, other than sitting down and watching all those videos, and manually recording it.

I'll make a deal with someone however.  If someone would like to provide the data, I'll see if there's a way I can store it on the site.

Check the State Lottery Report Card
      What grade did your lottery earn?

Sign the Petition for True Lottery Drawings
      Help eliminate computerized drawings!

Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
        Chief Bottle Washer
        New Jersey
        United States
        Member #1
        May 31, 2000
        23260 Posts
        Posted: November 4, 2006, 7:45 pm - IP Logged

Is it written in Java? Would we need a java compiler?

Yes, although Java can be fairly easily converted to C.  With a little more effort the code can be converted to something else, like Visual Basic.

Check the State Lottery Report Card
        What grade did your lottery earn?

Sign the Petition for True Lottery Drawings
        Help eliminate computerized drawings!

Washington
          United States
          Member #47309
          October 30, 2006
          34 Posts
          Posted: November 4, 2006, 8:12 pm - IP Logged

Thanks Todd!!! I've read his text for megamillions in the zip file and thought he only lists 20 past drawings. Didn't he say the videos of the past twenty drawings can be found on their web site. I'll go back and re-read it though.

Washington
            United States
            Member #47309
            October 30, 2006
            34 Posts
            Posted: November 4, 2006, 8:18 pm - IP Logged

I just rechecked it and he does mention the videos but he does not say how many recorded draws were needed. He only had about fifty or sixty though. I guess large number is not needed though. Perhaps twenty draws would be enough starting out?

Vacaville, Ca.
              United States
              Member #46529
              September 12, 2006
              5 Posts
              Posted: November 5, 2006, 12:21 am - IP Logged

I don't know if this will help or not, but on the CAlottery website under the MegaMillions section the past winning draws are listed in draw order, not the downloadable text file though.

And it looks like they go up to 200 draws.

Brian

United States
                Member #2460
                October 7, 2003
                766 Posts
                Posted: November 6, 2006, 4:23 am - IP Logged

The only use-able "practical" connection between so-called "Random-Events" that I can see, is Statistics, that is the one thing that "Ties" or "Glues" them together. that is other than an event that it is the result or outcome of the event that precedes it.

Particular statistics of one event precede and seem to announce particular statistics of another event and other than that they are completely unrelated (To each other), it is a weird happening, it might happen only for a short or long time and never again or it might repeat every so often, the events might be of the same kind or not and their statistics might also be of the same kind or not.

Perhaps a better name for "Patterns" is "Statistical Patterns", because it is statistics that associate the events in order to produce the patterns, at least I think so.

And perhaps (But maybe not) a better name for statistics is associative statistics.

So perhaps everything is "Relative" "In Reference To" or in relation to.

So perhaps, Patterns or Statistical Patterns Relate Unrelated  Events to each other, that is that their "Mutual Association (Or Relation) is Relative or in Relation to (The statistical patterns tie  them up to each  other)"

All of these is crazy talk of mine, but since I don't have anything better to do at the moment, I figured that I would post this.

We make patterns by making associations between events that really are not associated nor related, through  the use of  imagination and statistics or something like that maybe.

In other words perhaps one draw does not really have anything to do with another draw and even one of the digits of one draw does not have anything to do with any of the other digits of the same draw nor with any digits from any other draws and yet they might be related through the use of Associative statistics.

I must be crazy, I am not too sure if any of these makes sense even to me.

I wrote these to try to show that there is no true prediction, just statistical prediction and that it is done through the use of Relative Associations as Associations are relative to the Imagination and Statistics or something like that.

Well, enough of this  craziness, it is time to go to bed.

Good night.

Fernando. 

EXCALIBUR is no more that "Handle" is dead, gone.
                Maybe sometime in the future I might come back as LANTERN again, but maybe not, if I don't come back as LANTERN in the future then I won't come back at all, but as I said there is no more EXCALIBUR.

Washington
                  United States
                  Member #47309
                  October 30, 2006
                  34 Posts
                  Posted: November 6, 2006, 6:47 pm - IP Logged

The only use-able "practical" connection between so-called "Random-Events" that I can see, is Statistics, that is the one thing that "Ties" or "Glues" them together. that is other than an event that it is the result or outcome of the event that precedes it.

Particular statistics of one event precede and seem to announce particular statistics of another event and other than that they are completely unrelated (To each other), it is a weird happening, it might happen only for a short or long time and never again or it might repeat every so often, the events might be of the same kind or not and their statistics might also be of the same kind or not.

Perhaps a better name for "Patterns" is "Statistical Patterns", because it is statistics that associate the events in order to produce the patterns, at least I think so.

And perhaps (But maybe not) a better name for statistics is associative statistics.

So perhaps everything is "Relative" "In Reference To" or in relation to.

So perhaps, Patterns or Statistical Patterns Relate Unrelated  Events to each other, that is that their "Mutual Association (Or Relation) is Relative or in Relation to (The statistical patterns tie  them up to each  other)"

All of these is crazy talk of mine, but since I don't have anything better to do at the moment, I figured that I would post this.

We make patterns by making associations between events that really are not associated nor related, through  the use of  imagination and statistics or something like that maybe.

In other words perhaps one draw does not really have anything to do with another draw and even one of the digits of one draw does not have anything to do with any of the other digits of the same draw nor with any digits from any other draws and yet they might be related through the use of Associative statistics.

I must be crazy, I am not too sure if any of these makes sense even to me.

I wrote these to try to show that there is no true prediction, just statistical prediction and that it is done through the use of Relative Associations as Associations are relative to the Imagination and Statistics or something like that.

Well, enough of this  craziness, it is time to go to bed.

Good night.

Fernando. 

I understand that Fernando, I said it could be argued back and forth. :) I'm not one for semantics, and what to "name" whatever we call "patterns" well... there's is no arguement here one way or another.

However, cellular automata has some very interesting applications. Regarding the above mentioned program, I see that since I posted this notice it has been downloaded over eighty times. Nobody has made any comment regarding us applying this though (well, Todd did ;).

Here is my own experimentation: Knowing zilch about Java (or pragramming for that matter), I dowloaded a Java compiler and tried compiling the Java files into class files. I succeded, however with errors. I cannot "run" the class files and get multiple errors. I THINK this may be due to my having a newer version than the one that the creator used. I'm not gonna let this thing die. I reeeallllllly think there might be use for this application. I hope that some brave, kind hearted soul will come forward and lend his Java skill. This is a tiny program and should present no problem for those you know the language. If nobody will come forward, then I will have to proceed with more "drastic" measures. ;)

C'mon please, someone step up to the plate...