Welcome Guest
You last visited December 4, 2016, 7:09 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Lottery Raffles

Topic closed. 11 replies. Last post 10 years ago by cps10.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
Mid-Atlantic
United States
Member #22203
September 20, 2005
35 Posts
Posted: November 6, 2006, 11:04 pm - IP Logged

So what does this group think of the new trend in Raffles with set amount of tickets being sold?

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
    Wandering Aimlessly
    United States
    Member #25360
    November 5, 2005
    4461 Posts
    Posted: November 18, 2006, 12:40 pm - IP Logged

This is a good subject.  Todd just posted an article about the FL New Year's game, so you might see some answers on that thread.  I found this one by searching.  I am not sure what I think. $20 for one ticket is a lot of money for me, although I see people spending $100 or more every week at the counter for scratch tickets or Lotto.  I might buy 1 or 2, since the odds of 125,000 to 1 are much better than 22 million to 1 for the 6/53 game, although the payoff is less.  Even if I buy 20 Lotto tickets, my odds are still 20 in 22 million.

bobby623's avatar - abstract
      San Angelo, Texas
      United States
      Member #1097
      January 31, 2003
      1394 Posts
      Posted: November 18, 2006, 1:11 pm - IP Logged

Raffles are better than the regular scratch card games, IMHO.

Main reason is that often the top prizes in a regular game are won, but the cards continue to be sold. 
      In these instances, folks who don't take the time to check out latest info, are buying worthless tickets - worthless in the sense that they think they can win big when all they are likely to win are small prizes, or no prizes at all.

Not everyone who buys a raffle ticket will win, of course.

Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
        Chief Bottle Washer
        New Jersey
        United States
        Member #1
        May 31, 2000
        23260 Posts
        Posted: November 18, 2006, 3:22 pm - IP Logged

Spain's El Gordo lottery started this a long time ago -- these raffle games are nothing new.  They also copy the fact that El Gordo's biggest raffle was at Christmas.  El Gordo means "The Big One".

Check the State Lottery Report Card
        What grade did your lottery earn?

Sign the Petition for True Lottery Drawings
        Help eliminate computerized drawings!

floridian's avatar - DiscoBallGlowing

United States
          Member #45802
          August 28, 2006
          335 Posts
          Posted: November 18, 2006, 4:33 pm - IP Logged

Spain's El Gordo lottery started this a long time ago -- these raffle games are nothing new.  They also copy the fact that El Gordo's biggest raffle was at Christmas.  El Gordo means "The Big One".

I am not sure I like them because it is pure dumb luck if you win.  There is not any strategy to it.  However, the odds seem to be better.  But maybe it is all dumb luck anyway.

I started a thread about  Florida,s Holiday Millionaire Raffle to see if it would peak some LP players interest if such a thing was available in their state.

The facts:

Each ticket costs $20.00

Total sales not to exceed 1,250,000 selling stops on 12/30 or sooner if max ticket sales reached.

Prizes  10    first prizes     $1,000,000 each      odds 125,000:1

20  second prizes  $100,000.00 each    odds  62,500:1

100  third prizes     $ 10,000.00 each      odds  12,500: 1 

The total amount raised is $25 million, total paid out about $13 million.  About 52%, typical for Florida.

I guess if you look at overall odds to win something and the cost per dollar wagered, based on other lottery games, it could be considered quite favorable.

I suppose their is some strategy, like how many tickets to buy, I do not know if when to buy would give you any advantage.  Maybe, some of you math wizards could comment on this.

F

stavros's avatar - avatar 6898.gif
            Florida
            United States
            Member #6147
            August 8, 2004
            1396 Posts
            Posted: November 18, 2006, 4:47 pm - IP Logged

I am not sure I like them because it is pure dumb luck if you win.  There is not any strategy to it.  However, the odds seem to be better.  But maybe it is all dumb luck anyway.

I started a thread about  Florida,s Holiday Millionaire Raffle to see if it would peak some LP players interest if such a thing was available in their state.

The facts:

Each ticket costs $20.00

Total sales not to exceed 1,250,000 selling stops on 12/30 or sooner if max ticket sales reached.

Prizes  10    first prizes     $1,000,000 each      odds 125,000:1

20  second prizes  $100,000.00 each    odds  62,500:1

100  third prizes     $ 10,000.00 each      odds  12,500: 1 

The total amount raised is $25 million, total paid out about $13 million.  About 52%, typical for Florida.

I guess if you look at overall odds to win something and the cost per dollar wagered, based on other lottery games, it could be considered quite favorable.

I suppose their is some strategy, like how many tickets to buy, I do not know if when to buy would give you any advantage.  Maybe, some of you math wizards could comment on this.

F

Floridian.....dumb luck or not, I'll take it any way I can get it.  The odds are much better in this "raffle" than planying other games.  I'm going to cut back a bit on my pick 3/4's and buy some of these raffle tickets.

Stavros

floridian's avatar - DiscoBallGlowing

United States
              Member #45802
              August 28, 2006
              335 Posts
              Posted: November 18, 2006, 5:14 pm - IP Logged

Floridian.....dumb luck or not, I'll take it any way I can get it.  The odds are much better in this "raffle" than planying other games.  I'm going to cut back a bit on my pick 3/4's and buy some of these raffle tickets.

Stavros

Stavros:

Man! you are correct the odds are a lot better.  I just was trying to see how everybody felt.

I too will bite the bullett and buy some tickets.  What the heck its Christmas soon.

Unlike Bob P I am not running for political office so I don't care who thinks spending $20.00 for a raffle ticket is silly.

F

cps10's avatar - Lottery-004.jpg
                The Carolinas - Charlotte
                United States
                Member #21627
                September 12, 2005
                4138 Posts
                Posted: December 14, 2006, 4:29 pm - IP Logged

I know this was kind of dead...but is EL GORDO the same thing?

How does this work? You get a ticket with a ticket number on it, like say 123456. And what happens? Do they draw a ticket out of the hopper to be declared the winner and then they distribute other prizes based on that ticket number? Or are balls brought out of the hopper? I see that EL GORDO pays 1 in every 6 tickets. That's not bad is it?

The North Carolina Education Lottery - so much a joke that here are their mascots:

Stooges

Tenaj's avatar - michellea
                  Charlotte NC
                  United States
                  Member #17406
                  June 18, 2005
                  4053 Posts
                  Posted: December 14, 2006, 4:32 pm - IP Logged

CheersI like them.  I wish NC had some.

takeemtothebank

United States
                    Member #21627
                    September 12, 2005
                    4138 Posts
                    Posted: December 14, 2006, 4:33 pm - IP Logged

I wish it were modeled after the EL GORDO...that seems, from what I've read, to be as good a chance as any to win anything worth a crap. And you have a decent shot at winning a ton of money.

The North Carolina Education Lottery - so much a joke that here are their mascots:

Stooges

Delaware
                      United States
                      Member #30273
                      January 14, 2006
                      494 Posts
                      Posted: December 15, 2006, 5:57 pm - IP Logged

Actually, it means "The Fat One" literally translated. Appropriately named too. I think it might be one of the most generous lotteries in the world. And besides, have you ever met a fat guy who isn't loveable? Big Smile

United States
                        Member #21627
                        September 12, 2005
                        4138 Posts
                        Posted: December 17, 2006, 7:15 pm - IP Logged

Actually, it means "The Fat One" literally translated. Appropriately named too. I think it might be one of the most generous lotteries in the world. And besides, have you ever met a fat guy who isn't loveable? Big Smile

Nope...I'm told I'm pretty lovable :) LOL

Stooges