Welcome Guest
You last visited December 8, 2016, 9:11 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

National Powerball

Topic closed. 11 replies. Last post 10 years ago by CASH Only.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink

Would you play a (USA) national "Powerball" style game if the Feds ran it?

Yes [ 2 ]  [16.67%]
No [ 8 ]  [66.67%]
Maybe [ 2 ]  [16.67%]
Yes, but only if it's not like Powerball [ 0 ]  [0.00%]
Total Valid Votes [ 12 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 2 ]  
Delaware
United States
Member #30273
January 14, 2006
494 Posts
Posted: November 9, 2006, 10:48 pm - IP Logged

I apologize if this has been brought up before.

If the Federal government started a national lottery in a manner similar to Powerball if it were run by the US Government to fund the Treasury Department. Such revenues would be assumed to be used towards general revenue and paying down the national debt.

United States
    Member #1826
    July 11, 2003
    2645 Posts
    Posted: November 10, 2006, 12:35 am - IP Logged

It's a good idea, don't know if I'd play it though, depends on what the game is like.

(insert signature here)

guesser's avatar - Lottery-017.jpg

United States
      Member #41383
      June 16, 2006
      1969 Posts
      Posted: November 10, 2006, 1:37 am - IP Logged

Nope.

I have yet to see the guv't get involved in much of anything and have John Q. Public come out ahead. 

Morrison, IL
        United States
        Member #4657
        May 13, 2004
        1884 Posts
        Posted: November 10, 2006, 8:02 am - IP Logged

The odds against winning a jackpot would be at least 325 million to one!!

Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
          Chief Bottle Washer
          New Jersey
          United States
          Member #1
          May 31, 2000
          23269 Posts
          Posted: November 10, 2006, 8:22 am - IP Logged

Powerball is played in the majority of states already, not sure why it would need to be run by the federal government.  MUSL does a great job of running it, IMHO.

Check the State Lottery Report Card
          What grade did your lottery earn?

Sign the Petition for True Lottery Drawings
          Help eliminate computerized drawings!

Delaware
            United States
            Member #30273
            January 14, 2006
            494 Posts
            Posted: November 10, 2006, 1:50 pm - IP Logged

Powerball is played in the majority of states already, not sure why it would need to be run by the federal government.  MUSL does a great job of running it, IMHO.

My rationale would be so all 50 states would be able to participate regardless of the status of a state lottery.

weshar75's avatar - Lottery-042.jpg
              Mcminnville, Oregon
              United States
              Member #3013
              December 13, 2003
              3052 Posts
              Posted: November 10, 2006, 4:38 pm - IP Logged

My rationale would be so all 50 states would be able to participate regardless of the status of a state lottery.

A national lottery would have to be in the states that first had their own state lottery.  It would be just another game added to each states line up of games they offer to their players.  It does not make sense to have states that do not have lotteries already to have just a national lottery in their own state.  I would propose that the two multi-state games and the larger state lotteries have their directors sit on a panel to over see this new national lottery.  That is if it ever did happen.-weshar75

konane's avatar - wallace
                Atlanta, GA
                United States
                Member #1265
                March 13, 2003
                3333 Posts
                Posted: November 10, 2006, 5:13 pm - IP Logged

Nope.

I have yet to see the guv't get involved in much of anything and have John Q. Public come out ahead. 

I Agree!  The government doesn't need another slush fund for buy pork. 

Only way I'd consider playing it is if the jackpot were totally and completely free of all types of federal taxes ... and we know that isn't going to happen.

Good luck to everyone!

guesser's avatar - Lottery-017.jpg

United States
                  Member #41383
                  June 16, 2006
                  1969 Posts
                  Posted: November 10, 2006, 11:42 pm - IP Logged

Let each state VOTE on it.

Some states are ultra-conservative and don't want it.

Besides, the more states that get into it, the better the chances are of someone winning it, which means the less chance of BIG jackpots too often.

Isn't it ironic we live in the greatest nation on earth, and yet few of us have a good opinion of our own guv't and how they run things ? 

United States
                    Member #379
                    June 5, 2002
                    11296 Posts
                    Posted: November 16, 2006, 3:15 pm - IP Logged

I would hope that if there is to be a national lottery, that Mega Millions and Powerball would be preserved much as they are now.

Perhaps a better idea is to have California, NY, and Texas break from MM and form the nation's third major multi-state game, with Florida eventually joining MM (rather than PB).

Delaware
                      United States
                      Member #30273
                      January 14, 2006
                      494 Posts
                      Posted: November 16, 2006, 3:33 pm - IP Logged

I would hope that if there is to be a national lottery, that Mega Millions and Powerball would be preserved much as they are now.

Perhaps a better idea is to have California, NY, and Texas break from MM and form the nation's third major multi-state game, with Florida eventually joining MM (rather than PB).

There's a part of me that wishes Powerball was still a game for the small and less populated states, and the larger states had their own games. Ideally you could a double system: a national lottery played in all 50 states, and state lotteries with their own jackpot games too, with the smaller states clustering together for 2 or 3 games (ie: Powerball pre-Pennsylvania).

United States
                        Member #379
                        June 5, 2002
                        11296 Posts
                        Posted: November 16, 2006, 3:42 pm - IP Logged

There's a part of me that wishes Powerball was still a game for the small and less populated states, and the larger states had their own games. Ideally you could a double system: a national lottery played in all 50 states, and state lotteries with their own jackpot games too, with the smaller states clustering together for 2 or 3 games (ie: Powerball pre-Pennsylvania).

I'm thinking it would be great if there were THREE separate groups of states competing against each other.

As for a "smaller" PB, there is such a game, but of course you don't have it nearby (Hot Lotto). I hope someday HL expands to all MUSL members (currently 31) with jackpot odds roughly that of the original PB (1:55 million), but with a better overall chance of winning something, and a somewhat higher percentage of the prize money going to the lower tiers (the original PB was 5/45 + 1/45; matching only the PB won $1).