Welcome Guest
You last visited December 10, 2016, 11:28 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

$75-Million Dollar MM Jackpot claimed by Detroit Woman

Topic closed. 4 replies. Last post 10 years ago by weshar75.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
MichiganHopeful's avatar - WINGS

United States
Member #547
August 8, 2002
134 Posts
Posted: November 16, 2006, 3:02 pm - IP Logged

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20061116/UPDATE/611160477 

$75 million lottery ticket claimed by Detroit woman

Charlie Cain / The Detroit News

LANSING -- A 48-year-old Detroit woman, who seldom plays the lottery, came to Lansing today to claim her winning $75 million lottery ticket.

Loretta Brown, a loan officer who is married and has two grown sons, said the winnings will change her life.

"I am so tired of being broke," said Brown, who said her first stop back in Detroit would be at DTE Energy to "pay my past bill." She also planned to pay her overdue phone bill.

"Thank the Lord, " she said.

Brown purchased two $1 Mega Millions tickets and let the computer choose the numbers. The tickets were purchased at a service station in Canton Township.

"I just felt I was going to win," she said.

She chose a one-time payment which will amount to $44 million before state and federal taxes.

She received a down payment on her winnings in the form of a $1 million check and the balance will be wired to her account in the next few days.

The odds of winning the top prize in the 12-state multi game are 1 in 175 million.

She works in an office in West Bloomfield and planned to continue working. Her husband, she said, planned to retire. Sun SmileyNoel

How's that for a Merry Christmas!!

United States
    Member #3676
    February 10, 2004
    425 Posts
    Posted: November 16, 2006, 3:15 pm - IP Logged

Yeah I am sure she will go back to work. I didnt know they gave you a down payment, and that it only tooks days to get the wire. I thought it was longer than that.

DoctorEw220's avatar - alien helmet.jpg
      Yinzer Country, PA
      United States
      Member #4067
      March 18, 2004
      2741 Posts
      Posted: November 16, 2006, 11:06 pm - IP Logged

Is she gonna help rebuild Detroit?

I've redone my website.  Go to www.dr-ew.com.  I kept a lot of the old stuff, and I've added some new stuff.  Look for more new stuff in the coming weeks.

floridian's avatar - DiscoBallGlowing

United States
        Member #45802
        August 28, 2006
        335 Posts
        Posted: November 16, 2006, 11:48 pm - IP Logged

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20061116/UPDATE/611160477 

$75 million lottery ticket claimed by Detroit woman

Charlie Cain / The Detroit News

LANSING -- A 48-year-old Detroit woman, who seldom plays the lottery, came to Lansing today to claim her winning $75 million lottery ticket.

Loretta Brown, a loan officer who is married and has two grown sons, said the winnings will change her life.

"I am so tired of being broke," said Brown, who said her first stop back in Detroit would be at DTE Energy to "pay my past bill." She also planned to pay her overdue phone bill.

"Thank the Lord, " she said.

Brown purchased two $1 Mega Millions tickets and let the computer choose the numbers. The tickets were purchased at a service station in Canton Township.

"I just felt I was going to win," she said.

She chose a one-time payment which will amount to $44 million before state and federal taxes.

She received a down payment on her winnings in the form of a $1 million check and the balance will be wired to her account in the next few days.

The odds of winning the top prize in the 12-state multi game are 1 in 175 million.

She works in an office in West Bloomfield and planned to continue working. Her husband, she said, planned to retire. Sun SmileyNoel

How's that for a Merry Christmas!!

I know she probably means well with respect to idea of keeping on working.  However, she will have friends popping out of the woodwork and people will hound her to death wanting some of her good fortune.  They will not want to work for any of it mind you, they will expect her to share it with them, no strings attached.

Unfortunately, she will have to quit and maybe even leave town and move some place else to get away from prying eyes and constant telephone calls, solicitators selling all kinds of snake oil, leaves and snot.  Oh! and the great investments she will be turned on to will be incredible.

The best advice, watch your backside.

weshar75's avatar - Lottery-042.jpg
          Mcminnville, Oregon
          United States
          Member #3013
          December 13, 2003
          3055 Posts
          Posted: November 17, 2006, 6:42 pm - IP Logged

Congrats to the winner!  Too bad my ticket did not come through!  Well I am shooting for tonight's jackpot!  Come on $7 million cash!-weshar75