Welcome Guest
You last visited December 7, 2016, 7:02 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

National lottery, or 3d major game?

Topic closed. 11 replies. Last post 10 years ago by Just6ntlc.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink

Which would you prefer?

Nat'l game, ending MM & PB [ 1 ]  [6.67%]
Nat'l game, preserving MM & PB [ 4 ]  [26.67%]
THREE major multi-state games [ 7 ]  [46.67%]
No guess [ 3 ]  [20.00%]
Total Valid Votes [ 15 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 5 ]  

United States
Member #379
June 5, 2002
11296 Posts
Posted: November 16, 2006, 3:33 pm - IP Logged

From time to time, there has been talk of a national lottery. This subject has just been brought up again. Whether it would supplement or replace Mega Millions and Powerball is anyone's guess.

I would prefer that California, NY, and Texas break away from MM and form the country's third major lottery jackpot game. Once Florida finally approves a multi-state game, it should go with MM (even though players in south Florida would still have to travel hundreds of miles to play PB).

CCHS13's avatar - chi jpeg.jpg
    Illinois
    United States
    Member #46704
    September 23, 2006
    3692 Posts
    Posted: November 17, 2006, 10:20 am - IP Logged

I voted for a 3rd nation wide game,  I dont want to loose the Powerball or

Mega Millions but if we had a 3rd nation wide game that the players, the people

had a say so in the prize payouts that would cause most of the players to

gravitate to the new game with solid 2nd and 3rd place prize payouts.  As a result

Powerball and Mega Millions would see their ticket sales decline so they would

have to get on the same page or become extinct at some point.  The people should

have more power like voting

Men Lie Women Lie Numbers Dont

guesser's avatar - Lottery-017.jpg

United States
      Member #41383
      June 16, 2006
      1969 Posts
      Posted: November 17, 2006, 1:25 pm - IP Logged

How about:

5)  NONE OF THE ABOVE - LEAVE IT ALONE. 

CCHS13 - nice dream, but it won't happen.  Anything involving money that the gov't gets in on (if they did) can't be good, and the players will

NEVER be able to dictate how to divvy up the pots, are you crazy ? 

If PB or MM could get into all 50 states, don't you think they would ?   It's not from a lack of trying. 

CCHS13's avatar - chi jpeg.jpg
        Illinois
        United States
        Member #46704
        September 23, 2006
        3692 Posts
        Posted: November 17, 2006, 1:56 pm - IP Logged

How about:

5)  NONE OF THE ABOVE - LEAVE IT ALONE. 

CCHS13 - nice dream, but it won't happen.  Anything involving money that the gov't gets in on (if they did) can't be good, and the players will

NEVER be able to dictate how to divvy up the pots, are you crazy ? 

If PB or MM could get into all 50 states, don't you think they would ?   It's not from a lack of trying. 

I agree it is a dream,  but at the end of the day the people, the players

still have the power,  we just are not exercising it.  If it wasnt for boycotting

or striking alot of things would not have gotten changed.  If their ticket sales

took a dramatic decrease then something would have to give.  Competition

is best for the consumer,  Powerball and MM have somewhat of a monopoly

right now.  They are not really competing with each other becasue they are

in different states so what they say goes.

Men Lie Women Lie Numbers Dont

johnph77's avatar - avatar
          CA
          United States
          Member #2987
          December 10, 2003
          832 Posts
          Posted: November 17, 2006, 11:32 pm - IP Logged

Not entirely true. MM and PB are in competion with each other to make their game available in states without either, and, to a lesser extent, replace the other in states where one of them is currently played. Witness the competition between the two when CA decided that a multi-state lottery was legal, and the short amount of time between MM's and PB's last matrix changes. They have their eyes on each other, to be sure.

Blessed Saint Leibowitz, keep 'em dreamin' down there..... 

Next week's convention for Psychics and Prognosticators has been cancelled due to unforeseen circumstances.

=^.^=

United States
            Member #41383
            June 16, 2006
            1969 Posts
            Posted: November 18, 2006, 12:46 pm - IP Logged

I agree it is a dream,  but at the end of the day the people, the players

still have the power,  we just are not exercising it.  If it wasnt for boycotting

or striking alot of things would not have gotten changed.  If their ticket sales

took a dramatic decrease then something would have to give.  Competition

is best for the consumer,  Powerball and MM have somewhat of a monopoly

right now.  They are not really competing with each other becasue they are

in different states so what they say goes.

I meant it's a dream if you think gov't would get involved and not screw it up.

As far as striking, boycotting, or effecting change, there' a bit of a difference between protesting nuclear facilities or toxic waste dumps as opposed to something that, in all honesty, amounts to a silly game.

I don't quite understand your thinking behind the competition thing, I rather doubt they would change to odds or the purses much to benefit us, the players.  Maybe a little, but not much.

You really need to keep in mind 98% of all lottery plays are more-or-less spur-of-the-moment purchases in lieu of getting change back after buying a pack of smokes, a 12-pack, or filing up with gas, and those players don't really care too much (or even know what) the odds are.

(and I DO mean 98% - ask 100 people on the street that buy tickets what the odds are, or what the payout is, 98 won't really know) 

United States
              Member #379
              June 5, 2002
              11296 Posts
              Posted: November 20, 2006, 10:02 am - IP Logged

I meant it's a dream if you think gov't would get involved and not screw it up.

As far as striking, boycotting, or effecting change, there' a bit of a difference between protesting nuclear facilities or toxic waste dumps as opposed to something that, in all honesty, amounts to a silly game.

I don't quite understand your thinking behind the competition thing, I rather doubt they would change to odds or the purses much to benefit us, the players.  Maybe a little, but not much.

You really need to keep in mind 98% of all lottery plays are more-or-less spur-of-the-moment purchases in lieu of getting change back after buying a pack of smokes, a 12-pack, or filing up with gas, and those players don't really care too much (or even know what) the odds are.

(and I DO mean 98% - ask 100 people on the street that buy tickets what the odds are, or what the payout is, 98 won't really know) 

I live in NY state. It sure seems like 98% of NY Lotto players don't care that the payout (38%-40%) is so low. Lottery players need to use their brains BEFORE they play.

dvdiva's avatar - 8ball

United States
                Member #2338
                September 17, 2003
                2063 Posts
                Posted: November 21, 2006, 1:48 pm - IP Logged

They need to fix that useless game known as megamillions. Unfortunely I don't think players have any power at all. In fact I don't even think the people running lotteries care what the sales are either. At least when games get privatized they will start caring instead of using their lottery job as a stepping stone to another job.

Why have three broken lotteries when we could have one or two that actually work. Euromillions now holds the top two jackpots of the world and both were set this year. That's an example of a lottery that works. It's also an example of a lottery where the ticket price isn't $1.

If the Senate and House actually want to help state lotteries they could make the winnings tax exempt like every where else in the world. 

NY
                  United States
                  Member #23835
                  October 16, 2005
                  3474 Posts
                  Posted: November 21, 2006, 3:05 pm - IP Logged

They need to fix that useless game known as megamillions. Unfortunely I don't think players have any power at all. In fact I don't even think the people running lotteries care what the sales are either. At least when games get privatized they will start caring instead of using their lottery job as a stepping stone to another job.

Why have three broken lotteries when we could have one or two that actually work. Euromillions now holds the top two jackpots of the world and both were set this year. That's an example of a lottery that works. It's also an example of a lottery where the ticket price isn't $1.

If the Senate and House actually want to help state lotteries they could make the winnings tax exempt like every where else in the world. 

Why is MM useless, and why do you think that Euromillions is a lottery that works?  Euromillions having the top two prize amounts is much more a function of chance than anything else. With odds of 76 million to one and tickets that cost $2.57 we should expect them to collect $196 million for every jackpot winning ticket. Compare that to MM where the odds are 176 million to one, but tickets only cost $1. For only $2.32 you coud have Euromillions odds playing MM, and it's basically the same game except for the tax issues. Of course the tax issues are also the same if you're a US resident or citizen, because you'd pay taxes on winnings in either game.

Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
                    Chief Bottle Washer
                    New Jersey
                    United States
                    Member #1
                    May 31, 2000
                    23267 Posts
                    Posted: November 21, 2006, 6:23 pm - IP Logged

"None of the above"

Check the State Lottery Report Card
                    What grade did your lottery earn?

Sign the Petition for True Lottery Drawings
                    Help eliminate computerized drawings!

United States
                      Member #41383
                      June 16, 2006
                      1969 Posts
                      Posted: November 25, 2006, 3:55 pm - IP Logged

If we did, NONE OF US would play at all.

United States
                        Member #16612
                        June 2, 2005
                        3493 Posts
                        Posted: November 26, 2006, 2:51 pm - IP Logged

My vote is for national lottery keeping PB and MM.