Welcome Guest
You last visited January 24, 2017, 6:17 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Can Maryland switch to MUSL?

Topic closed. 3 replies. Last post 10 years ago by Just6ntlc.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink

United States
Member #379
June 5, 2002
11296 Posts
Posted: November 18, 2006, 1:28 pm - IP Logged

In the mid-1990s, GA sold Powerball, so it was a MUSL member. When the Big Game (now Mega Millions) was planned, GA was lured away from MUSL because from what I remember, the BG group agreed to move the drawings from Chicago to Atlanta, where they are still held (except, for example, when NY and later California joined MM.)

Therefore, I could see another state switching games, either from MM to PB (or less likely, PB to MM.) For example, Maryland, which I believe has the smallest population of any MM state, COULD be wooed by MUSL with at least two carrots: the fact that Maryland doesn't have the Megaplier, and that MUSL has the steadily expanding Hot Lotto game. I don't think Maryland jumping ship would change dramatically the total sales of MM and PB, but if Maryland were to join HL, that game would see a very significant hike in overall play.

four4me's avatar - gate1
    MD
    United States
    Member #1701
    June 18, 2003
    8396 Posts
    Posted: November 18, 2006, 2:03 pm - IP Logged

Cash i think Buddy Roogow is still the president of mega millions. i doubt he would jump ship.

“MEGA Millions is a proven winner in every state,” stated Buddy Roogow, president of MEGA Millions.  “Every state has seen tremendous increases in sales and proceeds as a result of the big jackpots and excitement.  A delay on MEGA Millions in California would be a disappointment for players everywhere and a lost opportunity for California.”

And  Buddy Roogow currently serves as Chairman of the North American Association of State and Provincial Lotteries'

United States
      Member #379
      June 5, 2002
      11296 Posts
      Posted: November 19, 2006, 3:52 pm - IP Logged

Well, maybe that would be an extra reason for luring Maryland into MUSL. Roogow obviously has experience in running a multi-state game. MUSL has several, including the asformentioned HL.

United States
        Member #16612
        June 2, 2005
        3493 Posts
        Posted: December 5, 2006, 7:25 pm - IP Logged

I had wished that CA joined PB in their game as well.