Welcome Guest
You last visited December 11, 2016, 5:30 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

I have seen store clerks saving scratch-off tickets for people.

Topic closed. 30 replies. Last post 10 years ago by Cr4zyH0rs3.

Page 1 of 3
PrintE-mailLink

Do you think this is wrong?

Yes [ 63 ]  [80.77%]
No [ 13 ]  [16.67%]
unsure [ 0 ]  [0.00%]
maybe [ 2 ]  [2.56%]
Total Valid Votes [ 78 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 0 ]  
JackpotWanna's avatar - squiz

United States
Member #4121
March 23, 2004
817 Posts
Posted: November 19, 2006, 9:21 pm - IP Logged

I was at this store scratching my scratch-offs.  The store clerk opens a new packet of scratch-off from under the counter and hands the first scratch off to a man.  The man leaves and the clerk returns the new scratch off packet under the counter. I said  wtf and I asked for one.  The clerk said "no"  This is wrong man.  No Nod

tntea's avatar - Lottery-059.jpg

United States
    Member #5344
    June 30, 2004
    23641 Posts
    Posted: November 19, 2006, 9:43 pm - IP Logged

I was at this store scratching my scratch-offs.  The store clerk opens a new packet of scratch-off from under the counter and hands the first scratch off to a man.  The man leaves and the clerk returns the new scratch off packet under the counter. I said  wtf and I asked for one.  The clerk said "no"  This is wrong man.  No Nod

Yes this is wrong.  Hard to believe too..

People should be entitled to any ticket they want as long as they take the tickets in order as they come off the roll..

OLD/Vtrac   Lottery Bible         Double Warnings      Thumbs Up TN F34/F44

Tenaj's avatar - michellea
      Charlotte NC
      United States
      Member #17406
      June 18, 2005
      4053 Posts
      Posted: November 19, 2006, 9:47 pm - IP Logged

What?Why didn't you report it to the lottery commission.  They have cameras in those stores.  The manger was probably in on it.  I've heard that in some batches the best winners are at the beginning and especially the ending.  Some clerks know the pattern of winning tickets about where they are in batches and most times buy them themselves or give them to friends and tippers.

Is is wrong?  Hell Yeah it's wrong. wtf is right.  You heard one poster (who is a lottery clerk) say that they know a particular game was suppose to give out a big winner and found it in the trash can that night and spit the winnings.

takeemtothebank

emilyg's avatar - cat anm.gif

United States
        Member #14
        November 9, 2001
        31369 Posts
        Posted: November 19, 2006, 10:10 pm - IP Logged

report the clerk - that is not right.

love to nibble those micey feet.

DoctorEw220's avatar - alien helmet.jpg
          Yinzer Country, PA
          United States
          Member #4067
          March 18, 2004
          2741 Posts
          Posted: November 19, 2006, 10:31 pm - IP Logged

Not only is this wrong, but AFAIK, in most (if not, all) states this is illegal.  Lottery retailers are not allowed to refuse to sell tickets to anyone unless the following conditions apply:

1.  The customer wants them outside of the Lottery hours (usually anytime between midnight and 5 AM.)

2.  The customer cannot pay.

I used to run a terminal at a store in PA, and one time asked if I could refuse service to someone because they I thought they may have a problem.

That store should be reported to the Lottery and their license revoked.

I've redone my website.  Go to www.dr-ew.com.  I kept a lot of the old stuff, and I've added some new stuff.  Look for more new stuff in the coming weeks.

Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
            Chief Bottle Washer
            New Jersey
            United States
            Member #1
            May 31, 2000
            23277 Posts
            Posted: November 20, 2006, 7:05 am - IP Logged

<Moved to Instant ("Scratch-Off") Games forum>

Please post in the appropriate forum ... thank you.

floridian's avatar - DiscoBallGlowing

United States
              Member #45802
              August 28, 2006
              335 Posts
              Posted: November 27, 2006, 11:53 am - IP Logged

Technically, it is wrong.  I voted maybe because of the following:  I am not sure if holding a ticket works to anyone's advantage.  I really don't know because the clerk would have to know what was under the scratch-off to do his customer pal any good.  Do they not stagger the winning rolls in different runs to different stores? 

I would like to know if anyone knows because I am not a big scratch-off player.  I do not think there is anythings wrong with it and in fact find it very interesting but have never really had a great desire to play.  Maybe after all this discussion I will try it.

My point in all this is that some folks who I have talked with say you really need to stagger the stores you buy from and buy at least 5 tickets and never go to the store at the same time.  They claim they are trying to get an opportunity to buy from several points on the roll.  Some people will not buy if they see the roll is new, or almost exhausted.  So who knows!!  I guess I need a good lesson in the pros and cons of scrath-offs.

Some of you successful scratch-off players need to clue the rest of us in.  I for one would be very interested.

With respect to your original question, the clerk is bending the rules and should be disciplined because he is not treating all customers the same.  Now if there is an unfair advantage in all of this, then I say he probably needs to be reported to the Lottery Commission and steps should be taken to quell this practice.

Floridian

Miss Bee's avatar - strawberry
                nashville
                United States
                Member #4990
                June 8, 2004
                1376 Posts
                Posted: November 27, 2006, 12:08 pm - IP Logged

At the store I play at this has happened, however the person had bought the whole roll  and chose to leave them there. The people that own this store are very very trustworthy, where as I would not consider doing this at any other store I would with them because they would never cheat you., sounds far fetched in todays times,but it is true, there are still lots of honest people left, sadly we only hear the most about the dishonest ones.

This might not be what happened in your situation, just sharing from mine here.

stavros's avatar - avatar 6898.gif
                  Florida
                  United States
                  Member #6147
                  August 8, 2004
                  1396 Posts
                  Posted: November 27, 2006, 12:36 pm - IP Logged

At the store I play at this has happened, however the person had bought the whole roll  and chose to leave them there. The people that own this store are very very trustworthy, where as I would not consider doing this at any other store I would with them because they would never cheat you., sounds far fetched in todays times,but it is true, there are still lots of honest people left, sadly we only hear the most about the dishonest ones.

This might not be what happened in your situation, just sharing from mine here.

I can see this happening.  All the clerk should have said was that the roll was already purchased by somebody who wished to take his tickets one at a time. I don't by scratch off's very often, but, I would trust the clerk at my store also.

Good Luck!

Stavros

GIDDYUP's avatar - cls want_to_buy.jpg
                    Dunn / Kinston North Carolina
                    United States
                    Member #46604
                    September 17, 2006
                    98 Posts
                    Posted: November 30, 2006, 12:30 pm - IP Logged

NO NO NO NO NO !!! I am a c-store Manager of 11 years and I dooo nottt trust anybody in any store including in my own!I have a dozen different ways to check behind my people and I do it every day.I had one steal $325.00 worth one nite and he threw the losing tickets in the trash can behind the register and forgot to empty it!When I had done my inventory I was $325.00 short.

"If they're trusted you'll end up busted"

Can't lose for winning Banana

1977's avatar - flower2
                      st. pete
                      United States
                      Member #6680
                      September 3, 2004
                      1226 Posts
                      Posted: November 30, 2006, 10:22 pm - IP Logged

I hardly buy them ,but the clerks do know what tickets numbers hit.For example one clerk  said that the number 9 is usually a winner 4 out of 5 times basic on his paying out winning ticket ----so who knows

1977's avatar - flower2
                        st. pete
                        United States
                        Member #6680
                        September 3, 2004
                        1226 Posts
                        Posted: November 30, 2006, 10:28 pm - IP Logged

I think it is wrong. If it is for sale -then anyone should be able to buy them.

dumars798's avatar - batman17
                          Atlanta
                          United States
                          Member #28656
                          December 20, 2005
                          5675 Posts
                          Posted: December 19, 2006, 1:34 am - IP Logged

report the clerk - that is not right.

I Agree!

Smart bets...... Equal Phat Pocket$!

Kidzmom's avatar - cold
                            NC
                            United States
                            Member #11741
                            February 23, 2005
                            1233 Posts
                            Posted: February 12, 2007, 1:23 am - IP Logged

You should have got the clerk's name and  reported the incident to the store manager and the lottery officials.

Coastal Georgia
                              United States
                              Member #2653
                              October 30, 2003
                              1866 Posts
                              Posted: March 19, 2007, 4:01 pm - IP Logged

I have this favorite store that I get tickets from. The clerks are nice and I have a good rapport with them.

Everything has went well until recently .....they hired a new girl and she immediately started asking for tips. I have been known to tip on certain wins, but no one has ever asked until now.

She does it kinda off the cuff, like  "are you gonna scratch here or outside ? " or "hey, if you hit, half is mine".... and to top it off, there is one lady that is a big time scratcher there- she started saving tickets for her and this is just BS...

I saw her take some tickets off the roll and line them up on the counter out of reach for anyone else.

I am going to tell the manager that this is wrong.

Do you all agree ?