Welcome Guest
You last visited December 9, 2016, 5:30 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Florida Raffle Ticket Sales Booming

Topic closed. 8 replies. Last post 10 years ago by justxploring.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
floridian's avatar - DiscoBallGlowing

United States
Member #45802
August 28, 2006
335 Posts
Posted: November 23, 2006, 9:36 pm - IP Logged

They started on Monday and already almost 50% of the 1,250,000 have been sold as of about 4pm today.  The tickets are $20.00 each.  In my opinion a bargain considering the odds.

Good luck to everyone who has purchased one or several.

Floridian

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
    Wandering Aimlessly
    United States
    Member #25360
    November 5, 2005
    4461 Posts
    Posted: November 23, 2006, 9:42 pm - IP Logged

There are a couple of other threads on this raffle. I was about to purchase 1 or 2 tickets, but that's a lot to blow.  Looking at the odds, I guess there is a much greater chance of winning the top prize than the 6/53 game, but look at all the people who buy Fantasy 5 tickets and never win the top prize.  Those odds are 1:376,000.  So why are the odds for the raffle so great?  If you buy 20 Fantasy 5 tickets, then you've got a 20:376,000 chance of winning.  The odds for the raffle are 1:125,000 right? I realize that the prize is a lot larger, but the chances of being a winner are still slim.  Maybe I'll get one anyway if I get my paycheck on Friday. (if there are any left!)

Surge's avatar - Lottery-063.jpg
      Ohio
      United States
      Member #46493
      September 11, 2006
      4173 Posts
      Posted: November 23, 2006, 9:46 pm - IP Logged

I wish I had gotten in on this when Ohio did it in September.

$1,000,000 prizes    4

$100,000 prizes    5

$1,000 prizes    500

Keep it simple 

Wandering Aimlessly
        United States
        Member #25360
        November 5, 2005
        4461 Posts
        Posted: November 24, 2006, 3:19 am - IP Logged

I want to add that I just read the .pdf file on the rules of the raffle, which are interesting. It describes how they are selecting the prizes.  As in any raffle, they'll be drawing the winning tickets in order. 130 tickets will be drawn in order.  The first 10 will be awarded the million dollars prize, then 11-30 will win $100,000 each and 31-130 will win $10,000 each. However, after 180 days any top prizes not claimed will be paid to an alternate. That is, anyone who claimed the $100,000 prize might possibly have a chance at the million if one of the winners doesn't claim his prize. I know it sounds strange, but so many people don't claim prizes in FL that increases the odds to me!!  I'm guessing that, since this is a $20 ticket, almost everyone will be paying attention to the drawing. Almost every unclaimed ticket is a $1 Fantasy5 ticket, although there have a 1 or 2 huge Lotto jackpots that were never claimed.

Oh -  good luck Floridian!!

stavros's avatar - avatar 6898.gif
          Florida
          United States
          Member #6147
          August 8, 2004
          1396 Posts
          Posted: November 28, 2006, 9:58 am - IP Logged

They started on Monday and already almost 50% of the 1,250,000 have been sold as of about 4pm today.  The tickets are $20.00 each.  In my opinion a bargain considering the odds.

Floridian

About 75% sold out as of today.  Only 320,476 left out of 1.25 million.  They sure are being scooped up fast!  I've got 4 so far.

Good Luck!

Stavros

inittowin's avatar - 039ee315cfea4c12c8f5
            If you don't like it, spit it out!
            United States
            Member #4756
            May 23, 2004
            3433 Posts
            Posted: November 28, 2006, 10:11 am - IP Logged

I want to add that I just read the .pdf file on the rules of the raffle, which are interesting. It describes how they are selecting the prizes.  As in any raffle, they'll be drawing the winning tickets in order. 130 tickets will be drawn in order.  The first 10 will be awarded the million dollars prize, then 11-30 will win $100,000 each and 31-130 will win $10,000 each. However, after 180 days any top prizes not claimed will be paid to an alternate. That is, anyone who claimed the $100,000 prize might possibly have a chance at the million if one of the winners doesn't claim his prize. I know it sounds strange, but so many people don't claim prizes in FL that increases the odds to me!!  I'm guessing that, since this is a $20 ticket, almost everyone will be paying attention to the drawing. Almost every unclaimed ticket is a $1 Fantasy5 ticket, although there have a 1 or 2 huge Lotto jackpots that were never claimed.

Oh -  good luck Floridian!!

I remember when the FL lottery would elevate the lotto jackpots during the month of December.

They would use the unclaimed money during the year to do it.  Ticket sales went through the roof!

To me, that was a smart marketing idea! But of course they don't do that any more. I wonder what happens to the unclaimed money now?

Coastal Georgia
              United States
              Member #2653
              October 30, 2003
              1866 Posts
              Posted: November 28, 2006, 11:42 am - IP Logged

Floridian

I plan on purchasing at least one FL raffle ticket before they are all gone.

In addition, I already have one GA ticket ( it is in the 80,000 range numerically) and I will get another later this week. Hopefully, GA will be somewhere in the high 200,000 range when I get another. I just wanted to space them out a bit.

And.. to top it off, I plan on getting 2 of the SC raffle entries tomorrow when I go get my Powerball tickets. ( The SC raffle tickets are only $10.00 each..)

Good luck to everyone at LP that plays the raffles.. Banana

DD

Wandering Aimlessly
                United States
                Member #25360
                November 5, 2005
                4461 Posts
                Posted: November 29, 2006, 4:19 am - IP Logged

Following up ----

Announcement today:

HOLIDAY MILLIONAIRE RAFFLE TICKETS ALMOST GONE

-- Education in Florida to Receive $9.5 Million! --

• Holiday MILLIONAIRE RAFFLE™ tickets could be sold out by the end of this week based on the current rate of sales. Players who want to be in on this exciting game should purchase their tickets as soon as possible.
                • As of 1 p.m., Tuesday, Nov. 28, approximately 956,000 Holiday MILLIONAIRE RAFFLE tickets had been purchased statewide - meaning almost 77 percent of the tickets sold in just eight days.
                  Wandering Aimlessly
                  United States
                  Member #25360
                  November 5, 2005
                  4461 Posts
                  Posted: November 29, 2006, 4:27 am - IP Logged

I remember when the FL lottery would elevate the lotto jackpots during the month of December.

They would use the unclaimed money during the year to do it.  Ticket sales went through the roof!

To me, that was a smart marketing idea! But of course they don't do that any more. I wonder what happens to the unclaimed money now?

Interesting - I didn't realize they did that before.  I always thought the money went back into the Jackpot.  One time when the unclaimed ticket was for a $22 million jackpot (or something close to it) they voted to give the money to the schools. Most unclaimed tickets are for Fant 5 from what I can tell, although I'll bet many people don't claim the lower tier prizes for Lotto either.

I wrote this on another thread, but I've been watching the ads on TV for the raffle and they definitely are using smart marketing techniques. After all, if the tickets are almost gone and have practically sold out in 8 days, why spend so much money advertising the raffle?  I guess they already had these commercials budgeted, but I assume they'll stop airing them when the tickets are sold out!  About 270K left now. They'll be gone by the weekend.