Welcome Guest
You last visited December 2, 2016, 2:44 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

power ball pool

Topic closed. 14 replies. Last post 10 years ago by guesser.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
joplin
United States
Member #45299
August 17, 2006
151 Posts
Posted: November 26, 2006, 1:52 pm - IP Logged

Has anyone considered forming a powerball pool with post members?  It seems most of the time that groups win.  I would love to see some input about how it could be done or if it would even be worth while.

Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
    Chief Bottle Washer
    New Jersey
    United States
    Member #1
    May 31, 2000
    23259 Posts
    Posted: November 26, 2006, 2:02 pm - IP Logged

Most regular lottery players avoid pools.  They don't increase your chances of winning all that much, and if you do get lucky and win you need to share your prize to the point that you often win less than a mil anyway.  The risk/reward equation is way out of wack.

They can be good for offices to play, but not for serious play, just as a social thing.

Check the State Lottery Report Card
    What grade did your lottery earn?

Sign the Petition for True Lottery Drawings
    Help eliminate computerized drawings!

guesser's avatar - Lottery-017.jpg

United States
      Member #41383
      June 16, 2006
      1969 Posts
      Posted: November 26, 2006, 3:57 pm - IP Logged

Most regular lottery players avoid pools.  They don't increase your chances of winning all that much, and if you do get lucky and win you need to share your prize to the point that you often win less than a mil anyway.  The risk/reward equation is way out of wack.

They can be good for offices to play, but not for serious play, just as a social thing.

What Todd said.

You have to be in a pool where you can physically shake down the 'members' so they actually pay, and you cannot do that in cyberspace.

I only form pools when it gets over 100 million, and even then with a max of 3 other people at $20 each, else it's not worth the hassle, I

prefer to go it alone. 

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
        mid-Ohio
        United States
        Member #9
        March 24, 2001
        19814 Posts
        Posted: November 26, 2006, 8:38 pm - IP Logged

Running a lottery pool with members you're in physical contact with everyday is hard enough, running a cyber lottery pool would be even harder if not almost impossible.  I've participated in pools with friends and co-workers just to be sociable but I have no need to be sociable with people I don't know.  Most people get in lottery pools to cover more combinations cheaply while serious players are willing to cover all the combinations themselves.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

joplin
          United States
          Member #45299
          August 17, 2006
          151 Posts
          Posted: November 26, 2006, 9:02 pm - IP Logged

Your probaly right.  Too much hassle.  I was thinking more like a

hundred people, at $20. apieace.  Two thousand tickets with

today jackpot, that would be just a bit over $300,000.

United States
            Member #41383
            June 16, 2006
            1969 Posts
            Posted: November 27, 2006, 9:17 pm - IP Logged

Your probaly right.  Too much hassle.  I was thinking more like a

hundred people, at $20. apieace.  Two thousand tickets with

today jackpot, that would be just a bit over $300,000.

I didn't know there were 100 people in Joplin....

Seriously; I would be pretty surprised if you could get 10 people to go $10 per drawing, twice a week.

I know you THINK you can, but if you could pull it off consistently it would be a miracle.  I had 22 people that said they would do $5 a drawing, when it came time to ante' up, three wanted to, all the others had some excuse, some valid i'm sure, but far be it for me to make an issue out of it, so I dropped it. 

(and I was kidding about 100 people in Joplin) 

cps10's avatar - Lottery-004.jpg
              The Carolinas - Charlotte
              United States
              Member #21627
              September 12, 2005
              4138 Posts
              Posted: November 27, 2006, 9:25 pm - IP Logged

I have run a pool for 7 years, and the uniqueness about ours is that we play all three of these: Powerball, MegaMillions and California SuperLotto. That got a lot of people interested. It was mainly people from work, and a handful of those outside of work. Those outside of work as well as those that left the company have provided the challenge of getting their money to me. They also understand that if they are overdue, not only do they lose out on their share of the current drawing, but they also must pay all in arrears as well as come current with a FINE (very small) to get back in. I haven't had a problem with that system, yet it is still a pain in the ass. I do a lot of work for nothing in return, and whereas it could be worth it if we win big, it is still very time consuming.

I couldn't imagine the set of headaches that would exist with people that (1) you have to recruit online, and (2) perfect strangers that don't know you from Adam. With all of the legal problems these pools have  these days, some nutjob is going to hammer you for non-inclusion in the event that you win. Definitely not worth it. I say if you are going to do it, do it with people you know, somewhat trust (I use that  term loosely these days!) and with people you communicate with on a very regular basis.

The North Carolina Education Lottery - so much a joke that here are their mascots:

Stooges

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                mid-Ohio
                United States
                Member #9
                March 24, 2001
                19814 Posts
                Posted: November 27, 2006, 10:49 pm - IP Logged

I didn't know there were 100 people in Joplin....

Seriously; I would be pretty surprised if you could get 10 people to go $10 per drawing, twice a week.

I know you THINK you can, but if you could pull it off consistently it would be a miracle.  I had 22 people that said they would do $5 a drawing, when it came time to ante' up, three wanted to, all the others had some excuse, some valid i'm sure, but far be it for me to make an issue out of it, so I dropped it. 

(and I was kidding about 100 people in Joplin) 

Lots of people like to think they would be willing to contribute $5-$10 to a lottery pool of 20-30 people if only someone else was willing to collect the money and buy the tickets.  Even more really believe that they really would have been willing to contribute after they hear a group of people won a jackpot, but serious players don't depend on others to buy their tickets so lottery pools have people who aren't serious about buying lottery tickets so running them can be a pain.

Evil Looking       

cps10's avatar - Lottery-004.jpg
                  The Carolinas - Charlotte
                  United States
                  Member #21627
                  September 12, 2005
                  4138 Posts
                  Posted: November 27, 2006, 11:06 pm - IP Logged

Lots of people like to think they would be willing to contribute $5-$10 to a lottery pool of 20-30 people if only someone else was willing to collect the money and buy the tickets.  Even more really believe that they really would have been willing to contribute after they hear a group of people won a jackpot, but serious players don't depend on others to buy their tickets so lottery pools have people who aren't serious about buying lottery tickets so running them can be a pain.

Yeah, I know that feeling...it is a pain. I prefer it on my own, but since I started it, I can't shut her down :)

The North Carolina Education Lottery - so much a joke that here are their mascots:

Stooges

d4dahl's avatar - box
                    Lemon Crush, Ore.
                    United States
                    Member #48192
                    December 14, 2006
                    46 Posts
                    Posted: December 19, 2006, 3:47 pm - IP Logged

Hi Guys - 

Newbie here, so I thought I'd introduce myself on this topic since I didn't find an introduction topic. Mods, please feel free to move if necessary.

I actually joined LP in hopes of finding some Portland, Ore. locals that would be willing to commit to a pool. I play poker with a group of 10+ people that I've known for a long time, and believe me they're just not willing to spend the time and effort on something that might be futile. One person is funding my efforts though after seeing my work, so that makes two of us now. heh. So I guess my point is that I can see how making a pool outside of your office actually run smoothly can prove difficult.

I've developed a Powerball workout which I'll probably post in the future if I don't find it on this site already. Although, I have to believe that somebody somewhere has developed this same workout along the way, but hopefully it won't be a duplicate system. Can someone point me in the right direction for finding other Powerball systems? Previewing all these topics are a bit overwhelming! Thanks in advance.

Good luck chasers! Chat at you later.

Dana

United States
                      Member #41383
                      June 16, 2006
                      1969 Posts
                      Posted: December 19, 2006, 3:55 pm - IP Logged

Hi Guys - 

Newbie here, so I thought I'd introduce myself on this topic since I didn't find an introduction topic. Mods, please feel free to move if necessary.

I actually joined LP in hopes of finding some Portland, Ore. locals that would be willing to commit to a pool. I play poker with a group of 10+ people that I've known for a long time, and believe me they're just not willing to spend the time and effort on something that might be futile. One person is funding my efforts though after seeing my work, so that makes two of us now. heh. So I guess my point is that I can see how making a pool outside of your office actually run smoothly can prove difficult.

I've developed a Powerball workout which I'll probably post in the future if I don't find it on this site already. Although, I have to believe that somebody somewhere has developed this same workout along the way, but hopefully it won't be a duplicate system. Can someone point me in the right direction for finding other Powerball systems? Previewing all these topics are a bit overwhelming! Thanks in advance.

Good luck chasers! Chat at you later.

Dana

Best way is to give a short overview or synopsys of your workout, and we will see if it sounds familiar and give you feedback.

d4dahl's avatar - box
                        Lemon Crush, Ore.
                        United States
                        Member #48192
                        December 14, 2006
                        46 Posts
                        Posted: December 19, 2006, 6:23 pm - IP Logged

Thanks Guesser. Here goes... 

Unfortunately, the Red ball cannot be tracked with this workout, but using the law-of-averages as the basis: Since there are 55 White Balls and only 5 are chosen each drawing, each Ball will come up once In 11 drawings. That is the idea from which this system was developed. 

Now, we all know that doesn't really happen because 11 Drawings is too small of sample size for the law-of-averages to really work. The result is that some Balls don't come up at all which causes others to come up more than once. The log sheet that I've devised keeps track of Strike Outs, Singles as well as the "Repeats" which are Doubles, Triples, and Home Runs, explained below. Using the logged information from the past 10 Drawings, you predict the winning numbers for the 11th Drawing.

A "StrikeOut" is a number that hasn't been selected in the past 10 Drawings, a "Single" has been hit once, a "Double" twice, a "Triple" three times, a "Home Run" four times, and so on. Obviously, a Home Run is more rare than a Double, so in predicting the outcome of the 11th Drawing you might not want to select the Home Run number. Make sense?  But with that being said, playing the contrarian role is another possibility. You can't fall into the false perception that the Home Run number will never be hit because as we all know, previous outcomes have no factor in what comes next. So that's a possible play, too.

As an example, a 'winning combo' for the 5 White Balls might be: 3 StrikeOuts, 1 Single, 1 Double. From the log, I can see that I had the opportunity to choose from 18 StrikeOuts, 25 Singles, 11 Doubles, and 1 Triple. So you can see how that greatly reduces the possible numbers you choose from. It's all about selecting the correct 'winning combo' to greatly increase your chances of selecting the winning numbers. FYI, 2/2/1/0 is the most frequent winner since the 55/42 format started.

I'm currently in the process of tracking 12-Drawing histories, rather than 10-Drawing histories as described above as the 2/2/1/0 combo still doesn't win as often as I'd like.

Does any of this sound familiar or is it a new concept? Looking forward to all replies. TIA!

Dana
                          RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                          mid-Ohio
                          United States
                          Member #9
                          March 24, 2001
                          19814 Posts
                          Posted: December 21, 2006, 5:21 pm - IP Logged

Dana,

If your're picking winners using your system then it's a different concept.  Good luck to you.

Evil Looking       

d4dahl's avatar - box
                            Lemon Crush, Ore.
                            United States
                            Member #48192
                            December 14, 2006
                            46 Posts
                            Posted: December 21, 2006, 6:35 pm - IP Logged
                            Yeah, RJ, one definitely needs patience with this system as most weeks are losers. I feel the advantage comes when it does actually hit what I call the 'winning combo'. What happens then is an overload of potential 'winning numbers'. I liken it to shooting a cannon ball at a specific target, versus throwing darts blindly. You're just going to miss the target over 90% of the time! But, my ramblings have gotten off the "pool" topic, so the best thing for me to do is start anew of my own. Probably in the new year. See y'all then.

Merry Holidays To All!

Dana

United States
                              Member #41383
                              June 16, 2006
                              1969 Posts
                              Posted: December 22, 2006, 2:54 am - IP Logged

Thanks Guesser. Here goes... 

Unfortunately, the Red ball cannot be tracked with this workout, but using the law-of-averages as the basis: Since there are 55 White Balls and only 5 are chosen each drawing, each Ball will come up once In 11 drawings. That is the idea from which this system was developed. 

Now, we all know that doesn't really happen because 11 Drawings is too small of sample size for the law-of-averages to really work. The result is that some Balls don't come up at all which causes others to come up more than once. The log sheet that I've devised keeps track of Strike Outs, Singles as well as the "Repeats" which are Doubles, Triples, and Home Runs, explained below. Using the logged information from the past 10 Drawings, you predict the winning numbers for the 11th Drawing.

A "StrikeOut" is a number that hasn't been selected in the past 10 Drawings, a "Single" has been hit once, a "Double" twice, a "Triple" three times, a "Home Run" four times, and so on. Obviously, a Home Run is more rare than a Double, so in predicting the outcome of the 11th Drawing you might not want to select the Home Run number. Make sense?  But with that being said, playing the contrarian role is another possibility. You can't fall into the false perception that the Home Run number will never be hit because as we all know, previous outcomes have no factor in what comes next. So that's a possible play, too.

As an example, a 'winning combo' for the 5 White Balls might be: 3 StrikeOuts, 1 Single, 1 Double. From the log, I can see that I had the opportunity to choose from 18 StrikeOuts, 25 Singles, 11 Doubles, and 1 Triple. So you can see how that greatly reduces the possible numbers you choose from. It's all about selecting the correct 'winning combo' to greatly increase your chances of selecting the winning numbers. FYI, 2/2/1/0 is the most frequent winner since the 55/42 format started.

I'm currently in the process of tracking 12-Drawing histories, rather than 10-Drawing histories as described above as the 2/2/1/0 combo still doesn't win as often as I'd like.

Does any of this sound familiar or is it a new concept? Looking forward to all replies. TIA!

Dana

As for right now, there are 23 WB numbers that have not hit in the last 11 games.

Only 1 game in the last 25 has NOT had a number hit from beyond 11 games old.

Only 6 games in the last 50 have NOT had a number hit from beyond 11 games old.

And 26 of the last 50 games have had TWO numbers hit from beyond 11 games old.

This means 44 of the last 50 games have had AT LEAST 1 number hit from beyond 11 games old. 

You are playing one of the SAME theories I do, but you cannot limit yourself to the most recent 11 games.