Welcome Guest
You last visited January 19, 2017, 6:21 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Question For any Mathematician on LP.

Topic closed. 7 replies. Last post 10 years ago by time*treat.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
lotterybraker's avatar - pyramid
mississippi
United States
Member #34478
March 3, 2006
5906 Posts
Posted: November 30, 2006, 3:27 pm - IP Logged

I have a question and before I ask it..I just want to say onething...My math Background includes a "B" in College Algebra..I tried ..Trig..CaL..and Physics..dropped all of those because you are suppose to take some of those classes before the others to have the background you need..so..here is my question..Does Math in general..no matter what branch of Math you can look at..do they all work with constants?..for example..in Physics/Astonomy one constant would be the speed of light..186,000 per second..constant velocity of the rotation of our planet..constant velocity to escape the gravitational pull of our planet..so on so on..Constant numbers when solving for x in an algebra problem..or a word problem using critical thinking to find which one will arive first at a destination traveling from 2 different locations at CONSTANT different speeds..see what I am getting at...seems like Math deals with Constants..whether it be speed, time..etc..that is what I am trying to find out..does Math..all branches of Mathmatics deal with constants?..when all you need is a forumla to plug in the constants to solve the problem?..

"Attention all Mathematicians: Check your degree at the door because when it comes to whole numbers you are the Amateur"

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
    mid-Ohio
    United States
    Member #9
    March 24, 2001
    19900 Posts
    Posted: November 30, 2006, 3:51 pm - IP Logged

Not all math is about constants, for example a + b = 10.  The 10 is a constant, but a and b are variables.  To figure a or b, you has to know the value of the other.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

mississippi
      United States
      Member #34478
      March 3, 2006
      5906 Posts
      Posted: November 30, 2006, 4:02 pm - IP Logged

Rjoh..that is what I am talking about..you have a constant 10..with a constant of anykind in Math you can always solve for what you are looking for or it seems like it..I guess with my poor Math Background I am probably making the wrong assumption..but anyway it has been something that has been bothering me for a long time and it stems from what I believe in FIRMLY I might add..and that is .. I firmly believe that Math will never solve the Lottery because you cant get a single constant to work with that remains contsant...

"Attention all Mathematicians: Check your degree at the door because when it comes to whole numbers you are the Amateur"

NY
        United States
        Member #23835
        October 16, 2005
        3502 Posts
        Posted: December 2, 2006, 3:26 am - IP Logged

Rjoh..that is what I am talking about..you have a constant 10..with a constant of anykind in Math you can always solve for what you are looking for or it seems like it..I guess with my poor Math Background I am probably making the wrong assumption..but anyway it has been something that has been bothering me for a long time and it stems from what I believe in FIRMLY I might add..and that is .. I firmly believe that Math will never solve the Lottery because you cant get a single constant to work with that remains contsant...

There's plenty of room for debate on exactly what a constant is, but I promise that the 10 in a+b=10 isn't a constant. It's just the sum of a+b, and the sum of a+b can be 10 for a=4 and b=6 and also for  a=4 and b=2.  Yeah, I know that most of you think that's wrong, but if people, and the math that started with counting on fingers, had evolved with 3 fingers on each hand you'd all think that  5+5=14. None of the other things you list are constants either.

It will probably help to consider that constants are generally a function of physical laws. All branches of math use constants, but only when a particular equation calls for it. Pi is often called a "mathematical constant" but pi is pi because of the physical construct of a circle.

Because pi is a constant we can determine the diameter or circumference of a circle as long as we know the other value, and I think that's what you're really looking for.  To solve any equation you need to have at least two known values.  Sometimes a known value will be a constant and other times we have to measure it or be told what it is. In the lottery, and anything else that is random there are no constants.

mississippi
          United States
          Member #34478
          March 3, 2006
          5906 Posts
          Posted: December 2, 2006, 5:22 pm - IP Logged

ky floyd..thanks for the response...I agree..there isnt one constant that you can work with in the lottery..everything bounces around and you cant get anything to remain constant to work with and I will also throw in..."In a Timely Manner"

sfilippo's avatar - skull
            Oklahoma
            United States
            Member #33770
            February 24, 2006
            3146 Posts
            Posted: December 2, 2006, 5:28 pm - IP Logged

Seems like Calculus and Statistics are somewhat fuzzy when dealing with constants. Don't know for sure though.

Smiley Steve

WIN  D's avatar - q05Q0
              Stone Mountain*Georgia
              United States
              Member #828
              November 2, 2002
              10491 Posts
              Posted: December 2, 2006, 6:58 pm - IP Logged

There's plenty of room for debate on exactly what a constant is, but I promise that the 10 in a+b=10 isn't a constant. It's just the sum of a+b, and the sum of a+b can be 10 for a=4 and b=6 and also for  a=4 and b=2.  Yeah, I know that most of you think that's wrong, but if people, and the math that started with counting on fingers, had evolved with 3 fingers on each hand you'd all think that  5+5=14. None of the other things you list are constants either.

It will probably help to consider that constants are generally a function of physical laws. All branches of math use constants, but only when a particular equation calls for it. Pi is often called a "mathematical constant" but pi is pi because of the physical construct of a circle.

Because pi is a constant we can determine the diameter or circumference of a circle as long as we know the other value, and I think that's what you're really looking for.  To solve any equation you need to have at least two known values.  Sometimes a known value will be a constant and other times we have to measure it or be told what it is. In the lottery, and anything else that is random there are no constants.

Zero mass is a "constant" ...... yes?    Is mass random? 

Isn't Pi normally referred to as a "dimensionless constant" ....?  Man ,,,talk about oxymoronic !  

Perhaps constants "are" until you try to apply them in a formula...  then.... they're not any more.  LOL

Perhaps they're  just human artifacts.  They must be... if a human can go around making constants equal to one another.

Hey .....look at me Mom ! .... I'm gonna make the constants ... Coffee, Pork&beans, and the Titanic all equal.  Hey, thats not funny .... isn't that what Planck did? Isn't that what  "Planck units" are?    

The only real failure .....is the failure to try.                               

Luck is a very rare thing....... Odds not so much. 

Odds never change .....but probability does. 

Win d    

time*treat's avatar - radar

United States
                Member #13130
                March 30, 2005
                2171 Posts
                Posted: December 4, 2006, 10:51 pm - IP Logged

I have a question and before I ask it..I just want to say onething...My math Background includes a "B" in College Algebra..I tried ..Trig..CaL..and Physics..dropped all of those because you are suppose to take some of those classes before the others to have the background you need..so..here is my question..Does Math in general..no matter what branch of Math you can look at..do they all work with constants?..for example..in Physics/Astonomy one constant would be the speed of light..186,000 per second..constant velocity of the rotation of our planet..constant velocity to escape the gravitational pull of our planet..so on so on..Constant numbers when solving for x in an algebra problem..or a word problem using critical thinking to find which one will arive first at a destination traveling from 2 different locations at CONSTANT different speeds..see what I am getting at...seems like Math deals with Constants..whether it be speed, time..etc..that is what I am trying to find out..does Math..all branches of Mathmatics deal with constants?..when all you need is a forumla to plug in the constants to solve the problem?..

If you change a to x and b to y, and graph x+y = 10, you will get a straight line (with a negative slope). The "constants" of math are really about relationships(ratios). The "dimensionless" term simply means that the ratio is not related to the units ~ measured in inches or cm, the ratio between the diameter and circumference of a circle are always the same ~ 3.14159. It is really because the units "cancel"

circumference (in inches) / diameter (in inches) = ratio (no units) pi

circumference (in miles) / diameter (in miles) = ratio (no units) pi

For the speed of light, you have to include "miles per second" with the 186,000. If you go by meters per second, you use a different number (3x108

While much of math involves constants, there is plenty that involve exponential/log/ln/e functions, quadratics, cartiods, and other non-linear functions. And let's not forget those Ax2 + By + C = 0 deals. 

In neo-conned Amerika, bank robs you.
                Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms should be the name of a convenience store, not a govnoment agency.