Welcome Guest
You last visited December 2, 2016, 7:21 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Pennsylvania Self-Service Machines

Topic closed. 2 replies. Last post 10 years ago by rdc137.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
Delaware
United States
Member #30273
January 14, 2006
494 Posts
Posted: December 4, 2006, 6:28 pm - IP Logged

Pennsylvania has self-service machines in some stores that can check printed tickets, and issue a voucher or a balance to buy more tickets, however, I would advise anyone to not use those machines.

I have had them malfunction and eat money and tickets. Some machines are placed in places where you cannot talk to anyone if they malfunction, such as turnpike rest stops. If you have to use one of these things, touch the screen to bring up the main menu, then try inserting a blank playslip into it first. If the slip gets eaten, the machine is broken. It's ashame because these things are great when they work.

Worst of all, most store managers wont take the machines offline when they break. I have had to threaten to call the police to get them to open the machine on one occasion. Don't use them unless you know the clerk and they can open the machine if it breaks.

I have complained to the PA Lottery before about this to no avail.

Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
    Chief Bottle Washer
    New Jersey
    United States
    Member #1
    May 31, 2000
    23259 Posts
    Posted: December 4, 2006, 6:58 pm - IP Logged

Geez, that's terrible.  I would have thought that automated lottery machines would be as reliable as an ATM, which is to say they would be very reliable.  What a shame they are not.

The way that gets fixed is if everyone is sure to pester the PA Lottery with demands for a refund if their money gets eaten, even if it's only a dollar.  One the PA Lottery starts paying more money to correct all the mistakes than the machines are worth, they will fix it.

Check the State Lottery Report Card
    What grade did your lottery earn?

Sign the Petition for True Lottery Drawings
    Help eliminate computerized drawings!

Delaware
      United States
      Member #30273
      January 14, 2006
      494 Posts
      Posted: December 4, 2006, 11:02 pm - IP Logged

Geez, that's terrible.  I would have thought that automated lottery machines would be as reliable as an ATM, which is to say they would be very reliable.  What a shame they are not.

The way that gets fixed is if everyone is sure to pester the PA Lottery with demands for a refund if their money gets eaten, even if it's only a dollar.  One the PA Lottery starts paying more money to correct all the mistakes than the machines are worth, they will fix it.

PA expects you to get a refund from the store manager. Most times the employees don't have the key to open the machine, even though they are supposed to. Once you walk out the store, you are SOL. The only thing you can do is stand by the machine and call the police, and hope they don't arrest you. Sad but true.