Welcome Guest
You last visited January 19, 2017, 6:21 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Safety Measures

Topic closed. 3 replies. Last post 10 years ago by Jimiam.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink

If you won millions in a lottery what safety measures would you take for yourself?

None [ 2 ]  [10.00%]
Keep it secret and act like nothing has changed [ 10 ]  [50.00%]
Change phone number [ 2 ]  [10.00%]
Buy a gun and install an alarm system [ 2 ]  [10.00%]
Hire armed bodyguards and armed drivers [ 0 ]  [0.00%]
Move to another city [ 0 ]  [0.00%]
Move to another state [ 1 ]  [5.00%]
Move to another country [ 0 ]  [0.00%]
Become a recluse and live in complete secrecy [ 3 ]  [15.00%]
Give in and give people money to leave you alone [ 0 ]  [0.00%]
Total Valid Votes [ 20 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 3 ]  
GIDDYUP's avatar - cls want_to_buy.jpg
Dunn / Kinston North Carolina
United States
Member #46604
September 17, 2006
98 Posts
Posted: December 11, 2006, 8:56 am - IP Logged

Just how would your private life have to change?

Can't lose for winning Banana

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
    Zeta Reticuli Star System
    United States
    Member #30470
    January 17, 2006
    10390 Posts
    Posted: December 11, 2006, 10:59 am - IP Logged

You'd have to "go to the mattresses" for awhile, the Misouri Lottery website even suggests this.

Personally, I'd like to say I'd buy one of those missile silos for sale in North Dakota and move in - wait, win the lotto and move to North Dakota? - but in reality I definitely wouldn't flaunt it or 'flash' it (bling bling, etc...).

I'd try and keep a very low profile.  

http://www.molottery.com/aboutourgames/whenyouwin/winjackpot.shtm

This is step 9 of 10 from the site above:

Some other things to consider.
    You may want to change your telephone number, or get an answering machine and caller ID so you can screen your calls. After people hear that you've won, you may receive calls from friends who want to congratulate you or sales people who have heard about your good fortune. Remember to give any new telephone numbers to the Missouri Lottery so staff members can contact you about any tax or law changes, upcoming Millionaires Reunions, etc.

Depending on the amount of your jackpot, you may want to stay away from your home for a few days. If you've won a significant amount that has drawn national attention, the media may try to track you down at home for the story. Amounts of $50 million or less probably won't cause a great deal of media frenzy.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

Lucky Star's avatar - flower2
      Georgia
      United States
      Member #38040
      April 23, 2006
      1643 Posts
      Posted: December 11, 2006, 3:39 pm - IP Logged

I voted for change phone number.

A new e-mail address might not be a bad idea either.

As well as double checking any online information you may have about yourself out on the www.

Peace.  And, Good Luck!!!

Jimiam's avatar - ICONATOR 4af8c649273bc68ca3f95ed9dd755e65.jpg

United States
        Member #39406
        May 15, 2006
        287 Posts
        Posted: December 11, 2006, 8:52 pm - IP Logged

I don't mean to fart in the elevator, so to speak; but I don't see the point in talking about what if you'd do when and if you win. Wait til ya win and then do da necessary buiness. address change. email change, sex change, whateva.

Well, my luck in lotto this year hasn't been too good. I won 40 bucks in pick3. Spend much more than that obviously. Lotto commission  was a complete success. They beat me in every draw. Quess I'll just have to keep on with it and see if I can't do better. I don't give up easy.I am new to lotto, so I quess I'll get better.