Welcome Guest
You last visited December 4, 2016, 9:25 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

betting on numbers multiple times

Topic closed. 41 replies. Last post 10 years ago by LOTTOMIKE.

Page 2 of 3
PrintE-mailLink

do you ever bet on numbers multiple times to make more money?

yes i do from time to time [ 75 ]  [65.22%]
no not really [ 18 ]  [15.65%]
sometimes but not much [ 17 ]  [14.78%]
still thinking about it but not sure [ 5 ]  [4.35%]
Total Valid Votes [ 115 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 1 ]  
Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
Zeta Reticuli Star System
United States
Member #30470
January 17, 2006
10347 Posts
Posted: December 13, 2006, 11:27 pm - IP Logged

LckyLary

"Another few times someone I think in MD bet the pick 4 with 100 dollars on the same # and won half a million!"

You have to wonder about such stories....there's a thread here somewhere about numbers being refused. When someone attempts to play such a number the clerk runs the ticker and the machine will not accept it. The states have so much money set aside to pay off Pick 3 / Pick 4. If a number gets played enough prior to a drawing that would potentially cost them more to pay than the set aside amount, they shut the number off. 

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

jarasan's avatar - new patrick.gif
    Harbinger
    D.C./MD.
    United States
    Member #44103
    July 30, 2006
    5583 Posts
    Posted: December 14, 2006, 9:21 am - IP Logged

LckyLary

"Another few times someone I think in MD bet the pick 4 with 100 dollars on the same # and won half a million!"

You have to wonder about such stories....there's a thread here somewhere about numbers being refused. When someone attempts to play such a number the clerk runs the ticker and the machine will not accept it. The states have so much money set aside to pay off Pick 3 / Pick 4. If a number gets played enough prior to a drawing that would potentially cost them more to pay than the set aside amount, they shut the number off. 

That is correct he did play $100, and hit straight.  He had hit the day before for $5000 or so and had extra cash to play, the store is right up the road from me.  I only play multiples on P4.  LOL jarasan. US FlagPS numbers do get cut off especially the date numbers, triples, etc., if I want to play my bday for eg. 1021 in MD. I gotta play it the day before in the morning. I am going to try 1214 this morning and see what happens. I'll report back.

NY
      United States
      Member #23835
      October 16, 2005
      3474 Posts
      Posted: December 14, 2006, 3:06 pm - IP Logged

LckyLary

The number of times a number will be sold is definitely limited, but I don't imagine those limits are particularly low, except perhaps in a small state where the total sales are modest. NY has data that indicates the total payout for pick 4 was about $1.8 million for the week of 12/3 to 12/9. To simplify I'll figure only straight payouts, which would mean just over 361 winners. Assuming that represents a typical week and there was 1 winner for every 10,000 tickets that represents half of the money from ticket sales and the state made $1.8 million. If they had sold 100 tickets to a single person and that number happend to come up, they would have paid out an extra $500,000, and still made aprofit of $1.3 million. Not the 50% they expect, but  it would still be a 37% profit. Of course if somebody did play the same number 100 times there's a 99.9% chance they would lose, and the state undrstands that. On any given day they'd lose money if the $100 bet won, but probability says they'll be back to a profit in 2 days. You and I can afford to play a modest amount of money, and to turn aprofit we have to hope our results go against probability. The data says NY state played 3.6 million games of P4 that week, so they can make a comfortable profit by getting exactly what probability offers.

What the states need to protect themselves against is a number being played several hundred or a thouand times and then winning. On any given day that will only happen for numbers that have some special signifigance. Today it's a safe bet that 1214 is a popular number and it will probably sell out. There's a 99.9% chance it won't win, but if everyone who wants it got it and it did win the payout could easily be 20 to 50 times as much as the total sales. By limiting sales the state can't lose. They may pay out a little more than usual but that will average out quickly enough, and most of the money that would be bet on the number people wanted will probably just be bet on a different number instead.

iowa
        United States
        Member #32899
        February 16, 2006
        46 Posts
        Posted: December 17, 2006, 4:45 pm - IP Logged

I will play the same five white ball numbers(with the powerplay option) on powerball all the time. I believe the odds on getting the first five are like 1 in 3.500,000. In theory, it should be easier to figure out an odds reducing system for that. If you hear about someone winning the second prize multiple times in Iowa then you know the dog got his bone(so to speak).

United States
          Member #16612
          June 2, 2005
          3493 Posts
          Posted: January 6, 2007, 1:09 pm - IP Logged

LOTTOMIKE, my vote is no. I don't want to vote for the same numbers every single time. In CA SLP, once the winning numbers appear, then I can't use the same numbers again.

Shawn67's avatar - Lottery-061.jpg

United States
            Member #45970
            September 1, 2006
            4763 Posts
            Posted: January 13, 2007, 9:44 pm - IP Logged

Haven't yet, but from looking at a lot of everyone else's results from doing this, I'm really starting to think about it. My only problem is figuring out what number to play. I can play about 10 dolars a day and stay within my budget, but Oklahoma still has almost 500 numbers that have never been played. I read somewhere on here once about someone uses the 1000 number chart, and marks off the numbers as they are drawn, then moves to a second page to mark the "second" time a number is drawn, and keeps doings this over and over, constantly working from their original chart until it is full, and by then their second chart is over half full, etc, etc, etc. Don't know if that makes any sense or not, but if it does, how in the world do you pick the "1" number you want to keep playing until it hits other than eeny-meeny-miney-mo!!!!!! Disapprove. Other than that, it sounds like a very sound strategy to me. Very cost effective over the long-haul.

sfilippo's avatar - skull
              Oklahoma
              United States
              Member #33770
              February 24, 2006
              3146 Posts
              Posted: January 14, 2007, 3:01 am - IP Logged

Haven't yet, but from looking at a lot of everyone else's results from doing this, I'm really starting to think about it. My only problem is figuring out what number to play. I can play about 10 dolars a day and stay within my budget, but Oklahoma still has almost 500 numbers that have never been played. I read somewhere on here once about someone uses the 1000 number chart, and marks off the numbers as they are drawn, then moves to a second page to mark the "second" time a number is drawn, and keeps doings this over and over, constantly working from their original chart until it is full, and by then their second chart is over half full, etc, etc, etc. Don't know if that makes any sense or not, but if it does, how in the world do you pick the "1" number you want to keep playing until it hits other than eeny-meeny-miney-mo!!!!!! Disapprove. Other than that, it sounds like a very sound strategy to me. Very cost effective over the long-haul.

I think lotterybraker mentioned this as one of his methods.

That was around 8 or 9 months ago.

Smiley Steve

Shawn67's avatar - Lottery-061.jpg

United States
                Member #45970
                September 1, 2006
                4763 Posts
                Posted: January 14, 2007, 1:50 pm - IP Logged

You are absolutely correct sfilippo. Took a while to find it again.

United States
                  Member #29417
                  January 1, 2006
                  355 Posts
                  Posted: January 14, 2007, 4:22 pm - IP Logged

Yes Noddo it i am i put $20 on one number and won $$$$ just sit and waitLurking

guesser's avatar - Lottery-017.jpg

United States
                    Member #41383
                    June 16, 2006
                    1969 Posts
                    Posted: January 14, 2007, 4:44 pm - IP Logged

Why isn't 'yes I do, all the time' one of the choices ?

What I mean is, I play 10 games, I may use one number in all 10 games, in fact, I may use 3 numbers in all 10 games, which leaves me 2 spots per game x 10 to wheel other numbers. 

Thoth's avatar - binary
                      Findlay, Ohio
                      United States
                      Member #4855
                      May 28, 2004
                      400 Posts
                      Posted: January 14, 2007, 4:56 pm - IP Logged

I spend $1 or $2 on my number almost every drawing in Ohio (the number I chase is 023 straight ).  When there is strong indicator for pairs or certain digits, I'll up that amount to $4 or $5, although this is rare.

I once spent $20 on it and barely missed the $10,000 payout when 026 was drawn instead. GRRR... 

Spent $10 on it one other time and missed $5,000 when 022 was drawn.  Both times I was off by that one lousy number.  I spent another $10 on it one more time but only had one digit correct.

It's funny how two of my three largest wagers on a single number (all the same number: 023) landed so close but didnt win.

I've been thinking about canning it and switching to a different number, but with so much spent now (invested LOL), im not so sure I should.  That number is out 9,504 consecutive games now.  Its like seeing a digit out 95 games or a pair out 950!  You know its gotta hit soon, but you just don't know when.   

~Probability=Odds in Motion~

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                        mid-Ohio
                        United States
                        Member #9
                        March 24, 2001
                        19823 Posts
                        Posted: January 14, 2007, 5:21 pm - IP Logged

I don't bet on numbers multiple times to make more money, but to save money.  PB jackpot is $180M and MM's is $16M so I may travel to Indiana to buy tickets and if I do I will play the same number for 2-3 drawings because I will not be making the trip again soon even if the JP continues to roll.  I'll be cashing in my PB tickets from Sept23/06 to Sept27/06.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
                          Wandering Aimlessly
                          United States
                          Member #25360
                          November 5, 2005
                          4461 Posts
                          Posted: January 14, 2007, 5:47 pm - IP Logged

LOTTOMIKE, my vote is no. I don't want to vote for the same numbers every single time. In CA SLP, once the winning numbers appear, then I can't use the same numbers again.

They are asking here if you bet the same set of numbers on 2 different bet slips.  Example:  You bet a dollar on 7-9-4 straight and have a really good feeling about it. So you either ask the clerk to run the card a second time or you play 7-9-4 at another retailer.  I've seen people a couple of times say "run this card through again please"on pick-3.  One reason you might want to play your pick on 2 separate tickets is because it's better to win $1,000 on 1 ticket than $500 on 2.

Coastal Georgia
                            United States
                            Member #2653
                            October 30, 2003
                            1866 Posts
                            Posted: January 14, 2007, 6:39 pm - IP Logged

Just6, do you understand the question LottoMike is asking ? He is asking do you ( for example ) run a playslip thru the terminal , then run it again, thus duplicating your tickets. If you win, you win twice...

Exactly how does one "vote" for a number ?
                            Please explain why once the winning numbers appear you feel you cannot use them again.

guesser's avatar - Lottery-017.jpg

United States
                              Member #41383
                              June 16, 2006
                              1969 Posts
                              Posted: January 14, 2007, 11:31 pm - IP Logged

Just6, do you understand the question LottoMike is asking ? He is asking do you ( for example ) run a playslip thru the terminal , then run it again, thus duplicating your tickets. If you win, you win twice...

Exactly how does one "vote" for a number ?
                              Please explain why once the winning numbers appear you feel you cannot use them again.

I didn't 'get it' either, so don't feel bad, Mr. 6.

I know some folks play the same PB ticket twice - in theory if they win it, one of the tickets they will take the lump sum, and for the other ticket they will take the annuity. 

I would like to be in the position to have to make that choice.