Welcome Guest
You last visited December 9, 2016, 9:55 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

For those of you who missed this terrible mistake

Topic closed. 11 replies. Last post 10 years ago by cps10.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
cps10's avatar - Lottery-004.jpg
The Carolinas - Charlotte
United States
Member #21627
September 12, 2005
4138 Posts
Posted: December 14, 2006, 3:11 pm - IP Logged

And we thought the California lottery scratch off scandal was bad...I posted this in my blog but for those of you who don't read the blogs, check out this mortifiying mistake published in the Charlotte "Self-Server" Observer today. A CBS radio affiliate here in town got wind of it and is sending it to Letterman...if you see it on there, remember you heard it first on LP!!

How about this for a mistake in today's Charlotte Observer:

LINCOLN CHARTER 66, N.C. SCHOOL FOR THE DEATH 35

Lincoln15112020--66
N.C. School361511--35

LINCOLN CHARTER 66 -- Dylan Cronin 21, Matt Bivens 15, Peterson 6, Splain 5, Cook 4, Talbert 4, de la Pena 2, C. Dishman 3, Scruggs 2, Campbell 2, Sadler 2.

N.C. SCHOOL FOR THE DEATH 35 -- Zachary Parks 15, Stedman Smith 10, Evans 4, Lake 4, Gaithers 2.

Now, it seems that the first time wasn't enough, but then the second time is bad too. NOTE: this is supposed to be the N.C. School for the Deaf, which is a great institution mind you.

But look at the box score...isn't this ludicrous? I mean, it would appear that ol' Zachary Parks (who is living, ya'll!) woke up from his dirt nap to score 15 points.

And just to make matters worse, they make this mistake TWO MORE TIMES from the girls game:

N.C. SCHOOL FOR THE DEATH 42, LINCOLN CHARTER 37

Lincoln144118--37
N.C. School812814--42

LINCOLN CHARTER 37 -- Brittney Berryhill 12, V. Richey 8, S. Barbagli 6, A. Barbagli 4, B. Richey 4, Eckler 3.

NORTH CAROLINA SCHOOL FOR THE DEATH 42 -- Ashanti Allen 18, Danielle Collins 10, Dawley 7, Ballew 6, Osborne 1.

Record: LC 2-5.

Yet here, the Death school won! How about that? If you are Lincoln Charter, you are feeling pretty bad about losing to a bunch of "stiffs".

Wow...how can they ever repay this back?

They were going to send out a Top 10 list to David Letterman something to the tune of

North Carolina School for the Death - a place where classes really bore you to death

North Carolina School for the Death - a school who's curriculum is to die for

Everyone is dying to go to the North Carolina School for the Death

Again, not ragging the school. It's a fine institution. Just wearing out this ridiculous gaff by a Top30 market newspaper.

The North Carolina Education Lottery - so much a joke that here are their mascots:

Stooges

tntea's avatar - Lottery-059.jpg

United States
    Member #5344
    June 30, 2004
    23641 Posts
    Posted: December 14, 2006, 9:03 pm - IP Logged

We must have been dummying down America for some time now...

Thanks for the laugh... Sad one..

OLD/Vtrac   Lottery Bible         Double Warnings      Thumbs Up TN F34/F44

United States
      Member #21627
      September 12, 2005
      4138 Posts
      Posted: December 14, 2006, 9:12 pm - IP Logged

T

There used to be a segment on the local sports station called "It's A Mistake" where the hosts would find mistakes in that day's Sports section. They played Men At Work's song in the background. They kept it up until they broke Joe DiMaggio's 56-game streak. They got to 57, and the Charlotte Observer got pissed off about it. So they banned their writers from being co-hosts at the station. It was the most absurd thing I've ever seen, but the point of the matter is that their Editorial staff is lacking to say the least.

So this one doesn't really surprise me, but it does surprise me at the same time.

The North Carolina Education Lottery - so much a joke that here are their mascots:

Stooges

Badger's avatar - adu50016 NorthAmericanBadger.jpg
        Wisconsin
        United States
        Member #1303
        March 27, 2003
        1508 Posts
        Posted: December 14, 2006, 9:25 pm - IP Logged

Actually, it would have been a much more amusing gaff if it had read "School for the Dead", rather than "School for the Death" since the "D" is right next to the "F" on the keyboard.

But no one proofreads anything any more. This seems to include the professionals who should know better than to rely on spellcheck programs; which are notoriously full of potential traps. As long as the word is spelled correctly, it passes. Although one would have to go out of one's way to key "Death" instead of "Deaf". 

Carelessness as regards to details. It never ceases to amaze me. But then again, I overdosed on advanced English classes all the way through college, way back before there were any  personal computers.

============

How can you tell if a politician is lying?

Answer: His lips are moving.

Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
          Chief Bottle Washer
          New Jersey
          United States
          Member #1
          May 31, 2000
          23275 Posts
          Posted: December 14, 2006, 9:35 pm - IP Logged

Interesting, but this is probably better in your blog.

Check the State Lottery Report Card
          What grade did your lottery earn?

Sign the Petition for True Lottery Drawings
          Help eliminate computerized drawings!

United States
            Member #21627
            September 12, 2005
            4138 Posts
            Posted: December 14, 2006, 11:39 pm - IP Logged

Actually, it would have been a much more amusing gaff if it had read "School for the Dead", rather than "School for the Death" since the "D" is right next to the "F" on the keyboard.

But no one proofreads anything any more. This seems to include the professionals who should know better than to rely on spellcheck programs; which are notoriously full of potential traps. As long as the word is spelled correctly, it passes. Although one would have to go out of one's way to key "Death" instead of "Deaf". 

Carelessness as regards to details. It never ceases to amaze me. But then again, I overdosed on advanced English classes all the way through college, way back before there were any  personal computers.

I know what you mean...I am a Managing Editor, so I see this kind of garbage all the time...amazing, isn't it?

Stooges

United States
              Member #21627
              September 12, 2005
              4138 Posts
              Posted: December 14, 2006, 11:40 pm - IP Logged

Interesting, but this is probably better in your blog.

Sorry Todd. I thought so too. I will keep it there next time :)

Stooges

guesser's avatar - Lottery-017.jpg

United States
                Member #41383
                June 16, 2006
                1969 Posts
                Posted: December 15, 2006, 12:51 am - IP Logged

It's the Charlotte Observer, what do you expect ?  - they still think there was a conspiracy with Dale Earnhardt's death...

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
                  Wandering Aimlessly
                  United States
                  Member #25360
                  November 5, 2005
                  4461 Posts
                  Posted: December 15, 2006, 1:39 am - IP Logged

I understand Toad's comment, but if you want to turn this into a discussion about the Lottery, you can always say

...  In conclusion, don't depend on the newspaper for accuracy.  Check your numbers daily at

Lottery Post!!

(I was going to just keep Todd's name spelled incorrectly without saying anything, but I'm afraid nobody will realize I'm trying to be funny because we're writing about typos. Don't jump on me. lol)

silky's avatar - nw gingblade.jpg

United States
                    Member #30181
                    January 13, 2006
                    298 Posts
                    Posted: December 15, 2006, 1:43 am - IP Logged

Hi ya Cps10 I just want to say Hi ya and have a great weekend, and to wish you Good Luck ... and to say Thank you for your hard work on the sheet of over dues . Peace be with you Always . wow on the news letter on the school . call who wrote that and tell them you will proof read it .

We have mulliplied our possessions, but reduced our values. We talk too much, Love too seldom, and hate too Often.

United States
                      Member #21627
                      September 12, 2005
                      4138 Posts
                      Posted: December 15, 2006, 11:13 am - IP Logged

It's the Charlotte Observer, what do you expect ?  - they still think there was a conspiracy with Dale Earnhardt's death...

LOL guesser. that is the truth! Are you from this area too?

Stooges

United States
                        Member #21627
                        September 12, 2005
                        4138 Posts
                        Posted: December 15, 2006, 11:13 am - IP Logged

I understand Toad's comment, but if you want to turn this into a discussion about the Lottery, you can always say

...  In conclusion, don't depend on the newspaper for accuracy.  Check your numbers daily at

Lottery Post!!

(I was going to just keep Todd's name spelled incorrectly without saying anything, but I'm afraid nobody will realize I'm trying to be funny because we're writing about typos. Don't jump on me. lol)

That was cute, justx...I noticed that ;)

Stooges