Welcome Guest
You last visited December 4, 2016, 1:02 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Ball-Drawn Raffles

Topic closed. 9 replies. Last post 10 years ago by rdc137.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink

(Read my post first) - Should lottery raffle games be ball drawn or some other manual drawing?

Yes [ 8 ]  [100.00%]
No [ 0 ]  [0.00%]
Total Valid Votes [ 8 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 1 ]  
Delaware
United States
Member #30273
January 14, 2006
494 Posts
Posted: December 15, 2006, 6:05 pm - IP Logged

Many of us on this forum are strictly opposed to computerized drawings. The new lottery raffle games are being computer selected. This makes me wonder: Should these raffles be drawn with balls instead of computer selected? A possible way to do it (using Pennsylvania as an example):

PA's first raffle sold 500,000 tickets (since increased to 625,000, but bear with me). The tickets were numbered from 00000001 (1) to 00500000 (500,000). To run this as a ball drawn lottery, instead of ticket 500,000 use 000,000. Line up six machines used for Big 4 and the Daily Number. Load the left-most machine with balls 0 to 4 only, and the rest with 0 to 5. Draw the numbers as you would any other drawing. This would have to be repeated for each prize, and any duplicate numbers would instead have to be re-drawn.

United States
    Member #1826
    July 11, 2003
    2645 Posts
    Posted: December 15, 2006, 6:13 pm - IP Logged

Many of us on this forum are strictly opposed to computerized drawings. The new lottery raffle games are being computer selected. This makes me wonder: Should these raffles be drawn with balls instead of computer selected? A possible way to do it (using Pennsylvania as an example):

PA's first raffle sold 500,000 tickets (since increased to 625,000, but bear with me). The tickets were numbered from 00000001 (1) to 00500000 (500,000). To run this as a ball drawn lottery, instead of ticket 500,000 use 000,000. Line up six machines used for Big 4 and the Daily Number. Load the left-most machine with balls 0 to 4 only, and the rest with 0 to 5. Draw the numbers as you would any other drawing. This would have to be repeated for each prize, and any duplicate numbers would instead have to be re-drawn.

Or you could simply base all of the prizes off of one single number like Quebec's la Mini.

And don't you mean to load one with 0 to 4, and the others 0 to 9?

(insert signature here)

Delaware
      United States
      Member #30273
      January 14, 2006
      494 Posts
      Posted: December 15, 2006, 9:09 pm - IP Logged

Or you could simply base all of the prizes off of one single number like Quebec's la Mini.

And don't you mean to load one with 0 to 4, and the others 0 to 9?

Yes, I meant 0 to 9. That is a typo. My apologies.

guesser's avatar - Lottery-017.jpg

United States
        Member #41383
        June 16, 2006
        1969 Posts
        Posted: December 16, 2006, 12:17 am - IP Logged

Ok, with your Poll, you are asking two different questions, with only one answer possible to cover both questions, which question are we saying 'yes' or 'no' to ?

Just step back and look at it for a minute, and you will see what I mean. 

Delaware
          United States
          Member #30273
          January 14, 2006
          494 Posts
          Posted: December 16, 2006, 1:57 am - IP Logged

Ok, with your Poll, you are asking two different questions, with only one answer possible to cover both questions, which question are we saying 'yes' or 'no' to ?

Just step back and look at it for a minute, and you will see what I mean. 

It sounded better in my head than typed out. What I mean is that either of those vs. computerized drawings.

LOTTOMIKE's avatar - cash money.jpg
            Tennessee
            United States
            Member #7853
            October 15, 2004
            11338 Posts
            Posted: December 16, 2006, 2:59 am - IP Logged

rdc was delaware ever a ball drawn state at one time?

my answer is yes to your poll....

konane's avatar - wallace
              Atlanta, GA
              United States
              Member #1265
              March 13, 2003
              3333 Posts
              Posted: December 16, 2006, 11:53 am - IP Logged

Yes definitely ball drawn.  I personally feel everything but games like online Keno which is drawn every few minutes should be live ball drawn, not animated results/smoke-and-mirrors/behind-closed-doors RNG's. 

I want to see those balls rise, tumble and come out of the hopper myself .. which is the main reason I'm NOT buying a ticket.

Good luck to everyone!

Delaware
                United States
                Member #30273
                January 14, 2006
                494 Posts
                Posted: December 16, 2006, 12:35 pm - IP Logged

Yes definitely ball drawn.  I personally feel everything but games like online Keno which is drawn every few minutes should be live ball drawn, not animated results/smoke-and-mirrors/behind-closed-doors RNG's. 

I want to see those balls rise, tumble and come out of the hopper myself .. which is the main reason I'm NOT buying a ticket.

I concur. Delaware was ball drawn until I believe 1998.

As for Keno, there is actually no reason why Keno could not be a ball-drawn game every 5 minutes, alternating between two "live" machines, and having others on standby. Of course the lotteries will say it's too expensive to do that, and they may actually have a point because people will play "video crack" (as I've heard it called) without regard for odds or if the system is legit.

guesser's avatar - Lottery-017.jpg

United States
                  Member #41383
                  June 16, 2006
                  1969 Posts
                  Posted: December 16, 2006, 6:17 pm - IP Logged

If they ever go to computer pick, I'm out.

I would have asked the question - 'What type of drawing procedure do you prefer ?'

And then list the options:

ball-drawn,

computerized,

tarot cards,

darts,

by gosh or

by golly....... (LOL) 

Delaware
                    United States
                    Member #30273
                    January 14, 2006
                    494 Posts
                    Posted: December 16, 2006, 6:32 pm - IP Logged

If they ever go to computer pick, I'm out.

I would have asked the question - 'What type of drawing procedure do you prefer ?'

And then list the options:

ball-drawn,

computerized,

tarot cards,

darts,

by gosh or

by golly....... (LOL) 

If they ever go computer pick...

Who's they???