Welcome Guest
You last visited January 23, 2017, 11:43 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

The Mandelbrot Set

Topic closed. 4 replies. Last post 10 years ago by time*treat.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
Zeta Reticuli Star System
United States
Member #30470
January 17, 2006
10392 Posts
Posted: December 28, 2006, 2:49 am - IP Logged

THE MANDELBROT SET

The Mandelbrot set, named after Benoit Mandelbrot, is a fractal. Fractals are objects that display self-similarity at various scales. Magnifying a fractal reveals small-scale details similar to the large-scale characteristics. Although the Mandelbrot set is self-similar atmagnified scales, the small scale details are not identical to the whole. In fact, the Mandelbrot set is infinitely complex. Yet the process of generating it is based on an extremely simple equation involving complex numbers.

Understanding complex numbers

The Mandelbrot set is a mathematical set, a collection of numbers. These numbers are different then the real numbers that you use in everyday life. They are complex numbers. Complex numbers have a real part plus an imaginary part. The real part is an ordinary number, for example, -2. The imaginary part is a real number times a special number called i, for example, 3i. An example of a complex number would be -2 + 3i.

http://home.earthlink.net/~profholly/fractal/mandelbrot.html 

Applicable to lottery? It gets into shapes, too. Shapes, patterns?

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

JADELottery's avatar - YingYangYong 01.PNG
    The Quantum Master
    West Concord, MN
    United States
    Member #21
    December 7, 2001
    3684 Posts
    Posted: December 30, 2006, 4:24 am - IP Logged

Keep in mind that fractals don't just extend into the infinitesimal... it also extends into the infinite... like the the Combinatorial Fratalization.

Presented 'AS IS' and for Entertainment Purposes Only.
    Any gain or loss is your responsibility.
    Use at your own risk.

Order is a Subset of Chaos
    Knowledge is Beyond Belief
    Wisdom is Not Censored
    Douglas Paul Smallish
    Jehocifer

JADELottery's avatar - YingYangYong 01.PNG
      The Quantum Master
      West Concord, MN
      United States
      Member #21
      December 7, 2001
      3684 Posts
      Posted: December 30, 2006, 4:33 am - IP Logged

Dr. Benoît B. Mandelbrot, Ph.D., (born November 20, 1924) is a Jewish American mathematician, best known as the "father of fractal geometry".

Benoît Mandelbrot was born in Poland, but his family moved to France when he was a child; he is an American citizen and was educated in France. Mandelbrot now lives and works in the United States. He is Sterling Professor of Mathematical Sciences, Emeritus at Yale University; IBM Fellow Emeritus at the Thomas J. Watson Research Center; and Battelle Fellow at the Pacific Northwest National Laboratory.

Wikipedia

I also work for IBM as a an SSR.

Presented 'AS IS' and for Entertainment Purposes Only.
      Any gain or loss is your responsibility.
      Use at your own risk.

Order is a Subset of Chaos
      Knowledge is Beyond Belief
      Wisdom is Not Censored
      Douglas Paul Smallish
      Jehocifer

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
        Zeta Reticuli Star System
        United States
        Member #30470
        January 17, 2006
        10392 Posts
        Posted: January 10, 2007, 12:49 am - IP Logged

I'm nowhere near your level of understanding these things, but I find it amazing that "games of chance" that existed  "eons" before  computers and current technology stand up to that technology.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

time*treat's avatar - radar

United States
          Member #13130
          March 30, 2005
          2171 Posts
          Posted: February 6, 2007, 2:20 pm - IP Logged

interactive (java) Cool

http://www.math.utah.edu/~pa/math/mandelbrot/mandelbrot.html 

In neo-conned Amerika, bank robs you.
          Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms should be the name of a convenience store, not a govnoment agency.