Welcome Guest
You last visited December 10, 2016, 11:28 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

New NY Lotto 59 in March-will it still be a ripoff?

Topic closed. 5 replies. Last post 10 years ago by CASH Only.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink

United States
Member #379
June 5, 2002
11296 Posts
Posted: January 3, 2007, 3:55 pm - IP Logged

I read today in the NY Daily News that in two months, NY Lotto 59, currently the world's biggest ripoff™, will be adding a $2 option. That would give players a SECOND bonus ball.

I almost certainly expect the ridiculously low payout to remain at a maximum of 40%.

United States
    Member #1826
    July 11, 2003
    2645 Posts
    Posted: January 3, 2007, 5:12 pm - IP Logged

I read today in the NY Daily News that in two months, NY Lotto 59, currently the world's biggest ripoff™, will be adding a $2 option. That would give players a SECOND bonus ball.

I almost certainly expect the ridiculously low payout to remain at a maximum of 40%.

I'm thinking it will be 40% too, but I'll hold judgement until I see the actual details.

(insert signature here)

United States
      Member #16612
      June 2, 2005
      3493 Posts
      Posted: January 4, 2007, 1:16 am - IP Logged

It won't be a rip off CASH Only. If players match the bonus ball with a $2 option, that might help.

United States
        Member #1826
        July 11, 2003
        2645 Posts
        Posted: January 4, 2007, 4:20 pm - IP Logged

This isn't the only change NY is implementing.

Daily News Article. 

(insert signature here)

United States
          Member #379
          June 5, 2002
          11296 Posts
          Posted: January 4, 2007, 4:43 pm - IP Logged

This isn't the only change NY is implementing.

Daily News Article. 

The NY "raffle" will be a scratch game instead. Given it's the NY Lottery, I expect the "million-dollar" prizes to be annuity-only. Then again, if NY held a "true" raffle, the payout probably would be 40%.

Even though I'm not a numbers player, I like the idea of winning for matching the "lump" sum of the three/four digits.

As for Lotto Extra, I wonder what the four additional ways are. No US lottery game AFAIK has drawn two bonus balls.

United States
            Member #379
            June 5, 2002
            11296 Posts
            Posted: February 1, 2007, 10:32 am - IP Logged

The NY "raffle" will be a scratch game instead. Given it's the NY Lottery, I expect the "million-dollar" prizes to be annuity-only. Then again, if NY held a "true" raffle, the payout probably would be 40%.

Even though I'm not a numbers player, I like the idea of winning for matching the "lump" sum of the three/four digits.

As for Lotto Extra, I wonder what the four additional ways are. No US lottery game AFAIK has drawn two bonus balls.

I took a closer look at the expected prize amounts for Blotto Extra (I saw them in the same article before but was in a hurry.) The 5/6 and 4/6 (neither with bonus ball) will pay exactly double with Blotto Extra than without, meaning the NY Blotto/Blotto Extra payout will continue to be 40%.

And now I read in today's (2/1) Journal News (White Plains, NY) that there is a proposal to reduce scratch prizes from 65% to 40% and Quick Draw from 60% to 40%. Do these lawmakers ever buy tickets?