Welcome Guest
You last visited December 7, 2016, 3:37 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Raffle or Not?

Topic closed. 24 replies. Last post 10 years ago by Coin Toss.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink

Would you like to see more raffles?

Yes, with the same general odds [ 7 ]  [17.95%]
Yes, with different odds [ 4 ]  [10.26%]
Yes, maybe, once every four months [ 8 ]  [20.51%]
Yes, twice a year [ 4 ]  [10.26%]
Yes, once a year [ 3 ]  [7.69%]
Yes, the odds are better than PB and MM [ 3 ]  [7.69%]
No, the odds are not better than MM or PB [ 2 ]  [5.13%]
No, state lotteries have better odds [ 0 ]  [0.00%]
No [ 4 ]  [10.26%]
Not Sure [ 4 ]  [10.26%]
Total Valid Votes [ 39 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 1 ]  
mylollipop's avatar - Trek STLOGO6.png

United States
Member #24380
October 21, 2005
623 Posts
Posted: January 4, 2007, 9:57 pm - IP Logged

It seems that a lot of states picked up on the state raffle, giving more people the opportunity to win at least a million.  So far, it appears that the following are the only states that had a raffle this year:

1. Florida
  2. Delaware
  3. Pennsylvania
  4. Georgia
  5. Michigan
  6. Other States???

It does appear that the raffles were popular and they raffle tickets sold out quickly.  Would you play if it was offered in a state near you?

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
    Zeta Reticuli Star System
    United States
    Member #30470
    January 17, 2006
    10351 Posts
    Posted: January 4, 2007, 11:41 pm - IP Logged

This "rafflemania" going on here on LP is kind of entertaining considering some of our threads about "It's not just luck".

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

United States
      Member #16612
      June 2, 2005
      3493 Posts
      Posted: January 5, 2007, 12:23 am - IP Logged

My vote is yes, once per year. I think they need to do a state raffle once per year.

LOTTOMIKE's avatar - cash money.jpg
        Tennessee
        United States
        Member #7853
        October 15, 2004
        11338 Posts
        Posted: January 5, 2007, 4:50 am - IP Logged

yes.i'd love to see tennessee get one...

stavros's avatar - avatar 6898.gif
          Florida
          United States
          Member #6147
          August 8, 2004
          1396 Posts
          Posted: January 5, 2007, 4:53 am - IP Logged

I think quarterly would be good.  Odds are much better than regular games.

Good Luck!

Stavros

mrmst's avatar - disney14
            Glen Burnie, MD
            United States
            Member #427
            June 27, 2002
            208 Posts
            Posted: January 5, 2007, 9:22 am - IP Logged

Maryland held a raffle as well - it did not sell out but they awarded all the prizes anyway drawing from only the sold tickets.

MrMST

Good luck and have a Disney Day ºoºHiding Behind Computer

Coastal Georgia
              United States
              Member #2653
              October 30, 2003
              1866 Posts
              Posted: January 5, 2007, 12:56 pm - IP Logged

I would like to see more raffles.
              I like them.
              DD

United States
                Member #1826
                July 11, 2003
                2645 Posts
                Posted: January 5, 2007, 4:00 pm - IP Logged

The odds of getting your money back are ridiculously high. Until they lower the overall odds to under 1 in 40, no, I don't think they should have any more "baffles".

(insert signature here)

Badger's avatar - adu50016 NorthAmericanBadger.jpg
                  Wisconsin
                  United States
                  Member #1303
                  March 27, 2003
                  1508 Posts
                  Posted: January 5, 2007, 8:20 pm - IP Logged

As unimaginative as Wisconsin's lottery is, I doubt they'll doa raffle unless they see the other states making BIG money off it.

Therefore, I'm kind of clueless as to this raffle thing.  Is a Lottery Raffle just like any other raffle?

============

How can you tell if a politician is lying?

Answer: His lips are moving.

NY
                    United States
                    Member #23835
                    October 16, 2005
                    3474 Posts
                    Posted: January 6, 2007, 1:51 am - IP Logged

"Odds are much better than regular games."

Are they really? From what I've seen all of the raffles were planned to pay out 50% of what they collect. That's the same overall odds as PB, MM and most other games.  The big difference is in the prize structure and the cost of the ticket. The probability of winning the top prize is better than in other games, but you're still very unlikely to win it, and the top prizes are smaller than they are in many games. 

The way I see it you have to balance the numerical odds against the prize, and the top prizes in the raffles are lower (sometimes a lot lower) than in other jackpot games. The $20 spent on a raffle ticket could also get you a 1 in 8.8 million chance of winning the current MM jackpot of $71 million. You'd be 70 times more likely to win the raffle, but MM offers 71 times as much and would also offer a 1 in 200,000 chance of winning $250,000. Is there really a difference in the odds?

Nobody would spend $20 on a ticket with a 1 in 1 chance of winning $10, but the expected payout for each dollar you'd spend is the same as the current raffles. By the same token I don't think many people would spend $1 for a 1 in 10 billion chance of winning $5 billion. The expected payout is still 50 cents on the dollar but the probability of winning makes MM and PB look like good odds. Somewhere in between we'll all find a point where the probability  and the possible jackpot make sense to us.

United States
                      Member #48083
                      December 9, 2006
                      6 Posts
                      Posted: January 6, 2007, 7:01 am - IP Logged

Ohio had one-- the drawing was on Labor Day; $20/ticket, 500,000 tickets, four $1m prizes, five $100k prizes, five hundred $1,000 prizes. It sold out about a week before the drawing. My guess is, if they only hold one in 07, they'll either do it in the late spring/early summer, or put it off until the holidays. Maybe they'll do two, who knows.

tiggs95's avatar - Lottery-036.jpg

United States
                        Member #47420
                        November 4, 2006
                        3930 Posts
                        Posted: January 6, 2007, 9:16 am - IP Logged

Ky is having a raffle..At least it better becasue I bought two ticket's.....

ayenowitall's avatar - rod serling4.jpg

United States
                          Member #4416
                          April 22, 2004
                          1075 Posts
                          Posted: January 6, 2007, 10:02 am - IP Logged

Has anyone here at Lottery Post won any prize from any of the state lottery raffles?

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
                            Wandering Aimlessly
                            United States
                            Member #25360
                            November 5, 2005
                            4461 Posts
                            Posted: January 7, 2007, 5:41 am - IP Logged

I agree with KY Floyd about the odds.  The only reason I checked "yes" is because there wasn't a choice about the price, just the odds.  If raffle tickets were $5, I would probably buy a ticket. I'd like to see a couple of smaller tier prizes added.  (maybe $5,000 or $1,000)  The overall odds of winning were much less than some games, especially the scratch tickets.  It was the ad that said "10 people will have the best odds ever of becoming millionaires on January 1" that got everyone's attention. Also, since a limited number of tickets are sold, I wish more people were able to just purchase one. I believe there were 1,250,000 sold in FL but I doubt if even a million people got a chance to play. As you know, scalpers were trying to sell tickets on eBay until they got caught. Do you think someone would be auctioning Lotto or PB tickets online for $1,000 (or was it $10,000?)  Obviously they knew that people were being brainwashed to believe these tickets had a much better shot at hitting a jackpot than your weekly tickets.

What I was trying to say above is, if there are 1 million tickets sold and 5 or 10 people are guaranteed to win a top prize, then it would be nice if a million people could buy them. I realize I am going to get criticized for this comment, but when the tickets cost $20 each and you see people buying 10 or more at a time, the gap between those who can afford $200 to blow on gambling and those who need the money but want an equal shot at the prize becomes much wider.  Of course this is "gambling" so I could say this about any game. However, I always think of a raffle as something the community pitches in for to buy school uniforms or to help raise money for a good cause. Instead the lottery used a good marketing tool to convince people they have a heck of a better shot at winning something, when it isn't really true.  It was very smart and they made a lot of money quickly.  I hope they really use that 50% for scholarships. Maybe they should have another one for the hurricane victims who are still living with blue tarps on their roofs.

Kentucky
                              United States
                              Member #32652
                              February 14, 2006
                              7310 Posts
                              Posted: January 7, 2007, 7:18 am - IP Logged

Ohio had one-- the drawing was on Labor Day; $20/ticket, 500,000 tickets, four $1m prizes, five $100k prizes, five hundred $1,000 prizes. It sold out about a week before the drawing. My guess is, if they only hold one in 07, they'll either do it in the late spring/early summer, or put it off until the holidays. Maybe they'll do two, who knows.

The Ohio Lottery Commission is planning on having 3 or 4 of these raffles a year.

Many organizations have successfully used $10 or $20 a ticket once or twice a year winner-take-all 50/50 raffles as fund raisers so people don't seem to care about the odds. I believe these $10 milllion state raffes will be a success because people look at the fact 4 people will win a million, 5 will win $100,000 and 500 will get a grand.