Welcome Guest
You last visited December 9, 2016, 9:55 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

A new(?) question

Topic closed. 10 replies. Last post 10 years ago by KY Floyd.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
NY
United States
Member #23835
October 16, 2005
3475 Posts
Posted: January 5, 2007, 1:56 pm - IP Logged

Since there's a poll about the same old overused questions, I figured I'd throw out one that I haven't seen before.

What you'd do *if* you won a jackpot has been beaten to death, but what would you do *to* win a jackpot?

This came out of the story about the 43 yo dying about a year and a half after winning a large jackpot. I'm not nearly old enough for winning but dying 18 months later to be a good deal, but I'm guessing the 18 months between winning the jackpot and dying would be better than the 36 months before winning.

I don't expect money to solve all of my problems, but it would certainly solve some of them, as well as give me a lot more opportunity for the things that make life good.  If I win MM tonight I'd probably spend a couple of months getting plans squared away, but in the 15 or 16  months after that I'd probably have as much fun as I've had in the last 60 to 75 months. In 15 months I could easily manage more than the 20 to 25 weeks of travel I've done over the last 4 to 5 years, and many of the days I wouldn't need to work would be spent having fun closer to home. FWIW, a lot of that fun would be free or very cheap. Time required for work is more of a limitation than money for many of the things I'd do with the extra free time. If time is money, how much time would be sensible to trade for the money?

So, what would you do or sacrifice in exchange for netting 5, 10, 20 million dollars, or something that would let you routinely win smaller prizes that gave you a couple of hundred grand a year? Sell your soul? Sell your first born? Give up x years of your life?

stavros's avatar - avatar 6898.gif
    Florida
    United States
    Member #6147
    August 8, 2004
    1396 Posts
    Posted: January 5, 2007, 2:11 pm - IP Logged

"So, what would you do or sacrifice in exchange for netting 5, 10, 20 million dollars, or something that would let you routinely win smaller prizes that gave you a couple of hundred grand a year? Sell your soul? Sell your first born? Give up x years of your life? "

While I look forward to winning, I wouldn't do any of the above.  Life is good, life is precious.  While I would truly be able to put my winnings to very good use I certainly would not compromise myself in any way.

Good Luck!

Stavros

emilyg's avatar - cat anm.gif

United States
      Member #14
      November 9, 2001
      31362 Posts
      Posted: January 5, 2007, 2:40 pm - IP Logged

"So, what would you do or sacrifice in exchange for netting 5, 10, 20 million dollars, or something that would let you routinely win smaller prizes that gave you a couple of hundred grand a year? Sell your soul? Sell your first born? Give up x years of your life? "

While I look forward to winning, I wouldn't do any of the above.  Life is good, life is precious.  While I would truly be able to put my winnings to very good use I certainly would not compromise myself in any way.

Stavros - my feelings exactly.

love to nibble those micey feet.

konane's avatar - wallace
        Atlanta, GA
        United States
        Member #1265
        March 13, 2003
        3333 Posts
        Posted: January 5, 2007, 3:11 pm - IP Logged

Stavros - my feelings exactly.

I Agree!      Any winner has already put out effort in one way or another, whether crunching numbers .... or something simple as locking onto a positive winning mindset.... the latter, way more difficult than any other aspect of winning.  Probably why so many newbies win ..... they haven't bothered listening to naysayers "teaching them better."

Good luck to everyone!

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
          mid-Ohio
          United States
          Member #9
          March 24, 2001
          19831 Posts
          Posted: January 5, 2007, 3:32 pm - IP Logged

The money I spend on lottery tickets is all I ever expect to give up for a chance of winning a lottery prize.  Since playing the lotteries is entertainment to me I don't consider it any more of a sacrifice that spending money for a movie, for a carton of cigarettes or a six pack of beer.  If things was that bad I wouldn't be wasting money on lottery tickets or any other entertainment.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

TheGameGrl's avatar - character catafly.jpg
            A long and winding road
            United States
            Member #17084
            June 10, 2005
            4532 Posts
            Posted: January 6, 2007, 7:30 pm - IP Logged

I would graciously sacrifice the following:

I'd give up worry. Id give up thinking war is the answer. Id find a new book and read it til my hearts content.  I'd find a way to bring more laughter to another...

Im a firm beleiver in compromising in order to gain. So the question is a good one!

~~Is it true, Is it kind,Is it necessary. ~~~

christmas holly jolly numbers: 255,303,6911, 474,477 silver:47,gold:79.

guesser's avatar - Lottery-017.jpg

United States
              Member #41383
              June 16, 2006
              1969 Posts
              Posted: January 7, 2007, 3:30 am - IP Logged

What would I give up to win the lottery ?

Only - ONLY - what I give up now - $10 per drawing night - and nothing else. As soon as you start giving up stuff to get other stuff, you get into a cycle you can't get out of.

On the other hand, I'd give up the Jackpot if it would bring my buddy back I lost 12 days ago....... 

For the love of money IS the root of all evil, as long as I have a roof over my head and food in my tummy, I'll survive, I've survived this

long in life on moderate earnings, and chances are pretty good I will have to continue on just as I am. 

Uff Da!'s avatar - InCelebration 001.jpg
                Washington State
                United States
                Member #33973
                February 26, 2006
                347 Posts
                Posted: January 7, 2007, 8:25 am - IP Logged

The money I spend on lottery tickets is all I ever expect to give up for a chance of winning a lottery prize.  Since playing the lotteries is entertainment to me I don't consider it any more of a sacrifice that spending money for a movie, for a carton of cigarettes or a six pack of beer.  If things was that bad I wouldn't be wasting money on lottery tickets or any other entertainment.

My thoughts exactly.

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
                  Wandering Aimlessly
                  United States
                  Member #25360
                  November 5, 2005
                  4461 Posts
                  Posted: January 7, 2007, 8:39 am - IP Logged

I can't think of anyone who'd like to win the lottery more, but what good is money without integrity or self-respect?  Everyday I see people ripping off others and being deceptive just to make a buck.  If I won't collect a commission by cheating someone, I certainly won't sell my soul for $10 million.  On the other hand, maybe I should have married some millionaires I met when I had the chance.  LOL

Cross that out!  I saw a photo on TV of Anna-Nicole's late husband.  Looks as if he was dead before she married him. Ouch!  I'll guess I'll be singing this song for a long time....

"Work your fingers to the bone and what do you get? Boney Fingers, Boney Fingers! "

guesser's avatar - Lottery-017.jpg

United States
                    Member #41383
                    June 16, 2006
                    1969 Posts
                    Posted: January 7, 2007, 8:29 pm - IP Logged

I can't think of anyone who'd like to win the lottery more, but what good is money without integrity or self-respect?  Everyday I see people ripping off others and being deceptive just to make a buck.  If I won't collect a commission by cheating someone, I certainly won't sell my soul for $10 million.  On the other hand, maybe I should have married some millionaires I met when I had the chance.  LOL

Cross that out!  I saw a photo on TV of Anna-Nicole's late husband.  Looks as if he was dead before she married him. Ouch!  I'll guess I'll be singing this song for a long time....

"Work your fingers to the bone and what do you get? Boney Fingers, Boney Fingers! "

This coming from a person that lives in Boney-ta Springs, FLA.......

Sorry, I could not resist... LOL

NY
                      United States
                      Member #23835
                      October 16, 2005
                      3475 Posts
                      Posted: January 8, 2007, 1:56 am - IP Logged

The three "suggestions' I listed weren't particularly serious, let alone the only choices. The bit about time being money was also rhetorical. As far  as the money I spend on tickets, I don't really think of that as a sacrifice, but of course every $1 I've lost is $1 I haven't been able to use for something else. The $20 and $30 lottery tickets that are now available certainly show that plenty of people would give more then the $1 to $10 that most people spend, but that never got anybody a guaranteed  jackpot.

As for exactly what I'd give or sacrifice in exchange for winning a jackpot, I don't actually have a real answer for myself. Giving up something worth $1 million in exchange for a jackpot that nets $5 million would obviously make sense, but if I had something that was really worth $1 million I could simply sell it, so the question really has to be about something intangible.I'd be willing to sacrifice something significant , figuring the fun I'd have with more free time and more disposable income to enjoy some of the expensive things I like would more than offset the sacrifice (it would clearly offset the minor sacrifice of losing a couple of hundred bucks a year buying tickets). The reality is that it's easy to sit and speculate on  it since it isn't possible to sacrifice something for a guaranteed win. It would be far harder to decide on the sacrifice if it was actually possible to make the bargain.

Guesser brings up a good corallary, about what we would sacrifice to replace other things we've lost. That could easily be another topic about what you'd trade away a jackpot for.