Welcome Guest
You last visited December 3, 2016, 12:35 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Contacting Professionals After You Hit A Multi-Million Dollar Prize!

Topic closed. 57 replies. Last post 10 years ago by Stack47.

Page 4 of 4
PrintE-mailLink

Who would you contact first?

A Financial Planner [ 15 ]  [17.65%]
A Lawyer (In General) [ 29 ]  [34.12%]
A Tax Lawyer [ 30 ]  [35.29%]
An Accountant [ 7 ]  [8.24%]
A Priest [ 1 ]  [1.18%]
A Shrink [ 1 ]  [1.18%]
A Divorce Lawyer [ 2 ]  [2.35%]
Total Valid Votes [ 85 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 4 ]  
Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
Zeta Reticuli Star System
United States
Member #30470
January 17, 2006
10344 Posts
Posted: January 24, 2007, 11:59 pm - IP Logged

mangeydog

"I am all for remaining anonymous, but if you win a big jackpot I think you are better off just giving the cursory interview to the media and being done with it....."

If someone hits $250 million (or even a lot less) I'm not so sure they'd give an interview and "just be done with it." Between "family" they never knew they had, neghbors, co-workers, former co-workers, and whole bunches of people with "great investment ideas" or those wanting to start businesses on someone else's $$$$$, I'm not so sure it would play out that way.

In fact, quite a few sources about what to do after you win re: lotery actually suggest a P.O. Box, changing phone numbers - unlisted for sure - and blowing town for awhile.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

iowa
    United States
    Member #32899
    February 16, 2006
    46 Posts
    Posted: January 25, 2007, 12:42 am - IP Logged

Sorry Tosser, I thought it was clear enough in the overall context of my post that I was referring mainly to the media hounding of a large jackpot winner. The reason that I referred specifically to $250 million+ was that it would be easier to remain anonymous with, let's say, a $45 million win. Because those are not as much of an intriguing story, I think that the press would have more of a "whatever" attitude to an anonymous winner. The large jackpots tend to capture the minds and imaginations of the public at large, therefore the interview is more of a "get ". People with their hands out are going to be after you no matter the size of the jackpot. I wasn't referring to the part of the post winning problem's such as these. Just to the hiding from the media aspect. As I believe I posted I am all for remaining anonymous, I just think it would be fighting a losing battle with one of the truly big jackpots. And as far as P.O. box etc., that could all still be done after or before the media interview. Sorry! Next time I'll spell it all out in capitals in double space form.

California
      United States
      Member #46824
      October 1, 2006
      270 Posts
      Posted: January 25, 2007, 10:48 am - IP Logged

Coin Toss and mangeydog...your points regarding the media hounding of a large jackpot winner are what I also think would occur.  However, I think media in this instance refers to the national media; the local media is completely different story.

IMO a jackpot winner of just about any size is going to attract the attention of the local media along with probably some play from the media within the state where they won.  The local media will see this as a "get" in their mind much in the same way as the national media would for a larger jackpot.  Add in the internet factor and in many ways you are on a worldwide stage.  Once in the local media, essentially the information is readily available for those who want to search it out.

The leeches, for lack of a better term, will probably come swarming no matter the amount of a jackpot.  They will hunt you down; whether an old friend/family member or that person with a can’t miss investment plan or even worse those with their hand out.  The old friends/family members I can deal with, it is the others, those looking to help me invest/spend/share the jackpot that I would like to keep at bay. 

Best idea is as stated, have a plan to change your contact information and lie as low as possible for as long as possible.  Maybe have all your calls/mail/email directed to your lawyer’s office.
        Entertaiment Capital
        United States
        Member #37800
        April 19, 2006
        302 Posts
        Posted: January 26, 2007, 9:22 pm - IP Logged

There's no way I can go anonymous in California. I live in California. Well, I don't expect to win a huge jackpot. 

Here's what I am gonna do. In fact I have a lot of storied behind me. I don't intend to shy away from public. There are a lot of people whom I want to make them gloat with envy. I'll just go public and sell my story to People magazine. I know that I have to learn to say no. Still, I will definitely hire a lawyer as my buffer for all the contact. I'll publicly clarify that I cannot pledge or promise anything and 99% of my winning check goes into the nest egg.  

md
          United States
          Member #14047
          April 20, 2005
          579 Posts
          Posted: February 28, 2007, 8:27 am - IP Logged

Somebody real soon is going to need all of these professionals whether they go anonymous or not.  I sure hope that it is I.  I have a plan in place, and would gladly accept a $12,000,000 Jackpot; but honestly, I'd like to be the one who won the first ever $400,000,000 Jackpot.  Just a dream.

LuckyLilly's avatar - savy chick.png

United States
            Member #50124
            February 26, 2007
            601 Posts
            Posted: February 28, 2007, 1:36 pm - IP Logged

Am I the only one so determined to be anonymous that I'd actually change my name to do it?  

So tell me if this would work.  Say I have the winning ticket for tonight's Powerball.  Tomorrow I go rent an apartment in a city just over the state line, and use that address to apply for a name change in that jurisdiction so it would be published in a paper where nobody knows me.  

While waiting for the name change, sell my home and anything else that has my current name on it. 

Claim the jackpot under the new name, avoid photos at all costs.

Go to yet another different state and change my name again, and wait till I have the new new name that's not associated with the Powerball to start buying real estate and anything else that would require my name attached.  

I guess it wouldn't work for someone with alot of close personal ties, because you really can't count on people to keep a secret.  But for me, I have no close family and only a couple friends I wish to keep.  Green laugh And I'd have to wait maybe a year to buy a new house which would be difficult, but I think I could handle the wait. 

So what's wrong with this scenario? 

California
              United States
              Member #46824
              October 1, 2006
              270 Posts
              Posted: February 28, 2007, 2:19 pm - IP Logged

Am I the only one so determined to be anonymous that I'd actually change my name to do it?  

So tell me if this would work.  Say I have the winning ticket for tonight's Powerball.  Tomorrow I go rent an apartment in a city just over the state line, and use that address to apply for a name change in that jurisdiction so it would be published in a paper where nobody knows me.  

While waiting for the name change, sell my home and anything else that has my current name on it. 

Claim the jackpot under the new name, avoid photos at all costs.

Go to yet another different state and change my name again, and wait till I have the new new name that's not associated with the Powerball to start buying real estate and anything else that would require my name attached.  

I guess it wouldn't work for someone with alot of close personal ties, because you really can't count on people to keep a secret.  But for me, I have no close family and only a couple friends I wish to keep.  Green laugh And I'd have to wait maybe a year to buy a new house which would be difficult, but I think I could handle the wait. 

So what's wrong with this scenario? 

LuckyLilly...sounds like a great idea to change your name.  However to accomplish this you must change your name where you are a resident, usually for 6 months, this probably varies by state.  You have to publish a notice to change your name in a local newspaper where you live for a total of four weeks.  This is usually in the classifed Notices section and with any luck no one will read your listing.  If they do and mention it you will have an idea of what might be in store when you claim the ticket under your new name.  Also I am pretty sure your new name becomes public record and this identity would be attached to your old name in numerous online databases as AKA, also known as.

All that said if you are truly determined to remain as anonymous as possible in a state that identifies the winner, it still would make sense change your name.  This would at least throw off the general public and most of the people who would seek you out for a "donation" or want to offer you the "next best investment idea".  Probably you would be tracked down by the most diligent of people, but it would be easier to say no to a few then to many on a constant basis.  Most likely from an every day perspective people would not know you won the lottery and with a little luck you can stay where you are now, just keep the spending under wraps for awhile.

United States
                Member #50124
                February 26, 2007
                601 Posts
                Posted: February 28, 2007, 2:34 pm - IP Logged

Hmm I was wondering about residency requirements for name changes.  I'm pretty sure my state only gives ya 6 months to claim your winning ticket or you lose it, so an out-of-state change might not be feasible. Anyone know of a mountain, western, or southwestern state that requires 3 months residency or less?

dewman48's avatar - avatar 6439.gif
                  Danville, PA
                  United States
                  Member #48440
                  December 27, 2006
                  229 Posts
                  Posted: February 28, 2007, 2:49 pm - IP Logged

Just curious as to what LP members would do?  Get some laughs out of the answers!!!!!!!!!!

I choose lawyer but I guess if you had a button for all the above I would have choose it and had alot of phone lines busy

IF AT FIRST YOU DON'T SUCCEED TRY N TRY AGAIN

California
                    United States
                    Member #46824
                    October 1, 2006
                    270 Posts
                    Posted: February 28, 2007, 3:18 pm - IP Logged

Hmm I was wondering about residency requirements for name changes.  I'm pretty sure my state only gives ya 6 months to claim your winning ticket or you lose it, so an out-of-state change might not be feasible. Anyone know of a mountain, western, or southwestern state that requires 3 months residency or less?

LuckyLilly....California might just work.  To be a resident you just have to show intent to live here on a full time basis.  The name change paperwork says file in the county where you currently live.  Maybe, just maybe. 

Once you win you should check with a lawyer here in California and some other states.  Heck you will be able to afford it, even with the high hourly rates they charge!!

United States
                      Member #50124
                      February 26, 2007
                      601 Posts
                      Posted: February 28, 2007, 3:31 pm - IP Logged

LuckyLilly....California might just work.  To be a resident you just have to show intent to live here on a full time basis.  The name change paperwork says file in the county where you currently live.  Maybe, just maybe. 

Once you win you should check with a lawyer here in California and some other states.  Heck you will be able to afford it, even with the high hourly rates they charge!!

Good to know!  The Powerball drawing is tonight, so I'll be using this info first thing tomorrow.  Banana

NY
                        United States
                        Member #23835
                        October 16, 2005
                        3474 Posts
                        Posted: February 28, 2007, 4:41 pm - IP Logged

I think the only way for a name change to work is to pick a common one and just forget the old one entirely. Knowing that John Smith the lottery winner used to be Ezekiel Q Nobodyelsehasthisname won't help people out if they can't find the right John Smith. Out of curiosity I just checked whitepages.com and there are 103 John Smith's listed in Philadelphia. With an unlisted number it wouldn't be easy to track down the right John Smith. Of course you'd only move to Philly (or whereever) after claiming the prize from your current residence, which is what would be released by the lottery.

Kentucky
                          United States
                          Member #32652
                          February 14, 2006
                          7295 Posts
                          Posted: February 28, 2007, 9:08 pm - IP Logged

I voted for “lawyer in general” because a tax lawyer or a financial planner can’t help get your money or help you to stay somewhat anonymous. I worked with a couple of guys that split $20 million a few years ago so I tried to locate them for some advice (just incase I hit) but it’s weird I can’t find them; like they were abducted by aliens.

Other than where you go to cash the ticket, the Ohio Lottery doesn’t offer much information. I know you can split the ticket with somebody else or even a group of people, but I’m not sure if one could maybe take half and split up the rest in unequal shares. Don’t know if after splitting they would have the cash or payments option either.

But I sure would like to find out.