Welcome Guest
You last visited December 3, 2016, 12:35 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Importing a CSV file Possible?

Topic closed. 8 replies. Last post 10 years ago by RJOh.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink

United States
Member #39955
May 24, 2006
31 Posts
Posted: January 10, 2007, 10:38 pm - IP Logged

Fellow Forum Members,

I'm using Lotto Pro 2006 and I love the job it does printing on bet slips. What I want to do now is use it to print my own file of numbers, but the problem is I can't figure out how to import a text file. Is it possible to import a CSV or Text file into Lotto Pro 2006?  If not what application would allow me to import and then print a file of numbers onto bet slips?

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
    mid-Ohio
    United States
    Member #9
    March 24, 2001
    19816 Posts
    Posted: January 10, 2007, 11:07 pm - IP Logged

Use a text editor like NotePad or better to check its file structure.  When I had an active subscription to Lotto Pro updates I exported its files to another program by writing a routine in Basic to read its files, rewrite them with some additional separators  and rename them so the other program could read them, I assume you can do something similar to import text files into it.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
      Chief Bottle Washer
      New Jersey
      United States
      Member #1
      May 31, 2000
      23259 Posts
      Posted: January 11, 2007, 9:35 am - IP Logged

RJOh,

I see from the above, as well as previous posts, that you use Notepad for a lot of things.

May I suggest an alternative?

I also used it a lot, mainly because I like the fact that it deals with plain text, rather than Word, which formats everything and inserts junk characters.

I found a replacement editor which is absolutely wonderful, and I have used the instructions provided to completely replace Windows XP Notepad, so that this new program loads when I double-click a TXT file.

The program is called "Notepad++".

You can find a description here, along with links to the publisher's web site.  The main download page including the small program needed to replace the default Notepad is here.

I have been using it for about a year now, so I have enough experience with it to unconditionally recommend it in place of Windows Notepad.  Take a look!

Check the State Lottery Report Card
      What grade did your lottery earn?

Sign the Petition for True Lottery Drawings
      Help eliminate computerized drawings!

United States
        Member #39955
        May 24, 2006
        31 Posts
        Posted: January 11, 2007, 5:53 pm - IP Logged

Thanks for the posting. Wondering if you can elaborate some more on how Notepad++ is suppose to do what I need it to do.  My goal is to feed into LottoPro 2006 a wheel which lists of 126 different combinations and then print everything out on betslips. Currently, I can't figure out how I can trick LottoPro 2006 to perform this task.  This app seems to have no import capability, therefore I wanted to figure out how to setup a text file that will and then convert it to a ".tic" format that the app will recognize. 

What is the best app that can let me print onto betslips whatever list of numbers I want to play?  Any help will be appreciated.  Thanks.

United States
          Member #41846
          June 23, 2006
          458 Posts
          Posted: January 11, 2007, 6:30 pm - IP Logged

Binar

I have no experience with lottopro I do have a lot of experience making files work.

RJOH gave you the basic info you need.  you need to determine the file structure of the lottopro file.  then make your data match the format example # of comma's spaces between comma's etc. the file extension must match from your post i'm guessing the file extension is .tic

once you have the structure you can use notepad or any word processor to massage your file. Just remember to save the file as a csv or txt file.  this generally causes the file extension to be set to csv or txt. rename the file with the correct file extension.

I strongly reccomend you copy the lotto pro file you want to study to a different directory. this will prevent you accidently messing up your lotto pro file.  If you have created your new file in a different directory copy it to the same directory as the original file.  the file name must be different or you will overwrite your original file .

when you open lotto pro in the area where you select which lottery game you should see you newly created file.  I hope you don't expect to get it exactly right the try.

good luck

p8 

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
            mid-Ohio
            United States
            Member #9
            March 24, 2001
            19816 Posts
            Posted: January 11, 2007, 7:19 pm - IP Logged

Thanks Todd,

I'll give Notepad++ a try.  I mentioned Notepad because everyone usually have it and have used it.

RJOh

Evil Looking       

United States
              Member #48769
              January 8, 2007
              20 Posts
              Posted: January 11, 2007, 8:17 pm - IP Logged

i didnt know there was a program to print on bet slips, sounds like it would be real handy program. i was just reading the illinois lottery rules and it said that any means other than manually filling out the bet slips is against the rules, so i would make sure that its ok for the lottery you are playing.  if lotto pro will handle excel files , you can change a text file to numbrers, sorted into columns. from there you could play with the column and row sizes until it matches the bet slip.

guesser's avatar - Lottery-017.jpg

United States
                Member #41383
                June 16, 2006
                1969 Posts
                Posted: January 11, 2007, 10:21 pm - IP Logged

Sometimes you have to import things into Excel and parse them with .CSV, and then go fro, Excel to whatever you are trying to import into.

Since we are talking different editors, here is a great one I use:

http://www.pspad.com/en/
                  RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                  mid-Ohio
                  United States
                  Member #9
                  March 24, 2001
                  19816 Posts
                  Posted: January 12, 2007, 3:36 pm - IP Logged

i didnt know there was a program to print on bet slips, sounds like it would be real handy program. i was just reading the illinois lottery rules and it said that any means other than manually filling out the bet slips is against the rules, so i would make sure that its ok for the lottery you are playing.  if lotto pro will handle excel files , you can change a text file to numbrers, sorted into columns. from there you could play with the column and row sizes until it matches the bet slip.

Other states also have rules that bet slips must be filled out manually but they also say the slips are not an official or valid receipt and only the winning tickets can be used to claim a prize so really the bet slips don't matter after you win.  Such rules may have been put in place by states to discourage groups from using a strategy with a large wheeling system to beat their lotteries.

There are several lottery program that have slip printing features, but unless you playing more then one hundred lines, setting up a printer to print in the right place on each card might take longer than doing them by hand.

Evil Looking