Welcome Guest
You last visited January 23, 2017, 4:45 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

PowerBall Jackpot Security Procedures

Topic closed. 4 replies. Last post 10 years ago by KY Floyd.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
Guru101's avatar - rw6jhh
Indiana
United States
Member #48725
January 7, 2007
1958 Posts
Posted: January 13, 2007, 8:45 pm - IP Logged

Hey guys. I was wondering if you could answer a question. When someone wins the PowerBall jackpot, they have to claim it at the lottery headquarters. I was wondering, what are the step by step procedures that the lottery officials take in the process of a person claiming the jackpot? What kind of paperwork do they have to fill out?

Guru101's avatar - rw6jhh
    Indiana
    United States
    Member #48725
    January 7, 2007
    1958 Posts
    Posted: January 13, 2007, 10:14 pm - IP Logged

I guess I gotta win to find out.LOL

Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
      Chief Bottle Washer
      New Jersey
      United States
      Member #1
      May 31, 2000
      23352 Posts
      Posted: January 14, 2007, 1:31 pm - IP Logged

<Moved to Jackpot Games forum>

Please post in the appropriate forum ... thank you.

United States
        Member #16612
        June 2, 2005
        3493 Posts
        Posted: January 15, 2007, 10:57 pm - IP Logged

If somebody wins a PB Jackpot, I hope the winner chooses cash option.

NY
          United States
          Member #23835
          October 16, 2005
          3501 Posts
          Posted: January 16, 2007, 4:05 pm - IP Logged

Hey guys. I was wondering if you could answer a question. When someone wins the PowerBall jackpot, they have to claim it at the lottery headquarters. I was wondering, what are the step by step procedures that the lottery officials take in the process of a person claiming the jackpot? What kind of paperwork do they have to fill out?

Tax forms. Lots and lots of tax forms. Any paperwork related to security is going to be done by the lottery staff. I think one of Wintariofan's posts from a week or two ago covered the procedures in Ontario, and it's a safe bet that PB procedures will be similar. Basically they're going to  make sure that ticket is the real winner. The PB numbers printed on it are largely for your reference. The stuff that's important to the lottery department are the bar code and the other numbers that identify the ticket. Having a ticket with the winning numbers isn't what gets you a prize. Having a ticket that the lottery's computer says is a winner is what gets you a prize. When the ticket is generated the main computer records the numbers chosen as well as  when and where the ticket was  bought, and what identifier the ticket was given.  The main validation procedure will be to  make sure the ticket has the right "name" thus indicating it's the winner.