Welcome Guest
You last visited January 24, 2017, 6:17 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Writing A Computer Program?

Topic closed. 14 replies. Last post 10 years ago by LckyLary.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
lotterybraker's avatar - pyramid
mississippi
United States
Member #34478
March 3, 2006
5906 Posts
Posted: January 18, 2007, 4:52 pm - IP Logged

How hard is it to write a computer program to querry certain types of numbers that you want it to querry( if that is proper programming language I remember from that one computer class I took in College)..and can you write a computer program on your home computer or do you have to buy some software to do it..?

"Attention all Mathematicians: Check your degree at the door because when it comes to whole numbers you are the Amateur"

time*treat's avatar - radar

United States
    Member #13130
    March 30, 2005
    2171 Posts
    Posted: January 18, 2007, 7:35 pm - IP Logged

The difficulty of the code depends on the complexity of your idea, and the language you are writing the code in.

Different folks here have their own preference as far as language goes (C, visual basic, GWBasic, etc.)

You can find programming software for free or fee (again, depending on the language) all over the net. 

Generally, you write your code and run it on your home machine.  

In neo-conned Amerika, bank robs you.
    Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms should be the name of a convenience store, not a govnoment agency.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
      mid-Ohio
      United States
      Member #9
      March 24, 2001
      19904 Posts
      Posted: January 18, 2007, 8:04 pm - IP Logged

Before Windows, Microsoft included a GWBasic or a Quick Basic interpreters with their Operating systems.  Basic is one of the easier computer language to learn because its instructions are very much like plain English, but you do have to follow a syntax and know something about different file structures. 

GWBasic, QuickBasic and other older DOS languages are now in the public domain and can be down loaded with a manual for free at the Programmer Heaven website.  There are newer versions of some of these languages written for Windows that allow a larger program to be written.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

mississippi
        United States
        Member #34478
        March 3, 2006
        5906 Posts
        Posted: January 18, 2007, 8:49 pm - IP Logged

Thanks time treat and Rjoh..I think I am going to have to get some professional help..lol

"Attention all Mathematicians: Check your degree at the door because when it comes to whole numbers you are the Amateur"

United States
          Member #41846
          June 23, 2006
          460 Posts
          Posted: January 18, 2007, 8:53 pm - IP Logged

RJOH

you mean its possible I could write code and not worry about exceeding 64K memory?   I will have to visit this site.

Lottery breaker the hardest part of programming in GWBasic is knowing what you want to do. If you can do it on paper you can do it by computer much faster and with less chance for error once you verify your code is doing what it should do.

p8

truecritic's avatar - PirateTreasure
            Michigan
            United States
            Member #22395
            September 24, 2005
            1583 Posts
            Posted: January 18, 2007, 10:08 pm - IP Logged

Other options you might want to look into are Database programs and Spreadsheets - while you will have to know how to set them up, it might be easier than programming with a language.  Most likely, whatever you decide will not result in an overnight solution.

guesser's avatar - Lottery-017.jpg

United States
              Member #41383
              June 16, 2006
              1969 Posts
              Posted: January 19, 2007, 1:11 am - IP Logged

How hard is it to write a computer program to querry certain types of numbers that you want it to querry( if that is proper programming language I remember from that one computer class I took in College)..and can you write a computer program on your home computer or do you have to buy some software to do it..?

Give us an example of what you mean by 'types' of numbers.

United States
                Member #48769
                January 8, 2007
                20 Posts
                Posted: January 20, 2007, 12:13 am - IP Logged

Excel is a powerful program and will do a lot with numbers and databases.  The program has been around long enough that there is a lot of help by the way of books, other software or online help.  I work in research and our job is to manipulate large databases, we use excel for most of our work.

sfilippo's avatar - skull
                  Oklahoma
                  United States
                  Member #33770
                  February 24, 2006
                  3146 Posts
                  Posted: January 20, 2007, 12:39 pm - IP Logged

Hey lotterybraker, you might try Just Basic. It's free and you can create stand alone applications with it.

Smiley Steve

mississippi
                    United States
                    Member #34478
                    March 3, 2006
                    5906 Posts
                    Posted: January 20, 2007, 12:51 pm - IP Logged

Thanks everyone..what I am kinda looking at here..or what I want to TRY and do is figure out some way to insert the code I use to pick all my numbers into a program that will automatically cycle that game for me to save a little time.mainly because there is alot of work to run one of those cycles and if I accidently mess one digit up all of it will be messed up so accuracy is another reason why I want to have a program to work with..less I have to do, less likely a mistake will be made

sfilippo's avatar - skull
                      Oklahoma
                      United States
                      Member #33770
                      February 24, 2006
                      3146 Posts
                      Posted: January 20, 2007, 12:59 pm - IP Logged

how many numbers do you analyize at a time?

Smiley Steve

NASHVILLE, TENN
                        United States
                        Member #33372
                        February 20, 2006
                        1044 Posts
                        Posted: January 20, 2007, 1:08 pm - IP Logged

I use Liberty Basic.  The program runs under Windows and allows me the freedom to surf the net while the computer does its thing. 

I once used Gee Whiz Basic but this ran under DOS which did not allow me to use the computer for other things.

If I had to learn programming for the first time, I would go with Visual Basic.  While Liberty Basic, GWBasic, QuickBasic would be easier to learn, with the same effort one can learn Visual Basic and also VBA for Excel. 

Just my humble opinion.  It's worth what you paid for it.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                          mid-Ohio
                          United States
                          Member #9
                          March 24, 2001
                          19904 Posts
                          Posted: January 20, 2007, 2:04 pm - IP Logged

I use Liberty Basic.  The program runs under Windows and allows me the freedom to surf the net while the computer does its thing. 

I once used Gee Whiz Basic but this ran under DOS which did not allow me to use the computer for other things.

If I had to learn programming for the first time, I would go with Visual Basic.  While Liberty Basic, GWBasic, QuickBasic would be easier to learn, with the same effort one can learn Visual Basic and also VBA for Excel. 

Just my humble opinion.  It's worth what you paid for it.

I use GWBasic and I have it running in the Command Prompt window now.  When I post predictions I usually copy them to the clip board from my GWBasic program running under DOS and then to the LP prediction board which is in my Browser running under Windows.

I agree with you about learning Visual Basic, if I was younger or was just starting to learn programming I would go with Visual Basic.  I bought a copy of Visual Basic, but I finder it hard to invest the time or energy to learn a newer language at my age.  I started out writing programs for a VIC20, then a TI-99, then a Commode64 and then a Tandy1000 and so when I came to GWBasic I was done with learning and as long as the newer systems will run the older DOS programs I probably won't learn anything new.

I looked up the JustBasic that sflippo suggested and its seems like a good way to get into programming without spending any money, but I'm sure once someone learns it, they're going to want a language with more features.  Even GWBasic has its short comings, the other day I added a feature to my program to look at the date in a record and calculate the drawing day and I when I duplicate a line from a newer Basic I needed several lines to do the something in GWBasic because it didn't have the same functions built in.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

time*treat's avatar - radar

United States
                            Member #13130
                            March 30, 2005
                            2171 Posts
                            Posted: January 20, 2007, 7:11 pm - IP Logged

Heh ... my first comp was a Vic20, too. Can't believe the $$$ price for that *lack* of power, now.

Scared to adjust that for inflation.

But back then it was "Wow, 16 screen colors * 16 background combinations!!!" Smiley Got me learning BASIC, though.

Back on track: Looks like the consensus here, is that if you don't already know a programming language, go with some flavor of BASIC.  

In neo-conned Amerika, bank robs you.
                            Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms should be the name of a convenience store, not a govnoment agency.

United States
                              Member #10720
                              January 23, 2005
                              933 Posts
                              Posted: January 20, 2007, 9:02 pm - IP Logged

I program in C#. I have in development an elaborate program that does every trick I can think of but I don't offer THAT to anyone else until AFTER I win big with it..but if YOU have a method you want translated into a Windows program I can do that... you can get a C# IDE (programming kit) for free from Microsoft. My program uses files in plain text that it then runs certain procedures to try to predict drawings etc.