Welcome Guest
You last visited December 9, 2016, 5:30 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Writing an Access Based Application

Topic closed. 6 replies. Last post 10 years ago by WSN1.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
Anywhere & Everywhere
United States
Member #10713
January 23, 2005
290 Posts
Posted: January 19, 2007, 8:30 pm - IP Logged

Im planning to upgrade my Excel spreadsheet lottery tracking applications into a Access Based application like LotSoft. I have very little knowledge of Access, however, I can use LotSoft as a basics for my development. Is there anyone here that can provide me with insight, advice, references or assistance with the development of a Access lottery tracking database system

cps10's avatar - Lottery-004.jpg
    The Carolinas - Charlotte
    United States
    Member #21627
    September 12, 2005
    4138 Posts
    Posted: January 19, 2007, 8:32 pm - IP Logged

Good luck with your endeavors...I think Ricky - the developer of LotSoft - is the only one that could help you here with that.

The North Carolina Education Lottery - so much a joke that here are their mascots:

Stooges

Anywhere & Everywhere
      United States
      Member #10713
      January 23, 2005
      290 Posts
      Posted: January 19, 2007, 8:35 pm - IP Logged

Good luck with your endeavors...I think Ricky - the developer of LotSoft - is the only one that could help you here with that.

Wow, really! is Ricky a member of LP? How do I get in contact with him?

Thanks

United States
        Member #10720
        January 23, 2005
        933 Posts
        Posted: January 19, 2007, 8:45 pm - IP Logged

You'd probably need to translate the data into XML or something. A program could be written that uses the Excel data exported as Comma Delimited (CSV). My program uses text files.

Anywhere & Everywhere
          United States
          Member #10713
          January 23, 2005
          290 Posts
          Posted: January 19, 2007, 10:05 pm - IP Logged

You'd probably need to translate the data into XML or something. A program could be written that uses the Excel data exported as Comma Delimited (CSV). My program uses text files.

Yeah Im sure, are you speaking of exporting it to Access? Anyway, I would need to do more that just export the data. I need a complete relational database management system much like LotSoft is configured with a few different customizations not available with LotSoft

Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
            Chief Bottle Washer
            New Jersey
            United States
            Member #1
            May 31, 2000
            23273 Posts
            Posted: January 20, 2007, 8:00 am - IP Logged

Im planning to upgrade my Excel spreadsheet lottery tracking applications into a Access Based application like LotSoft. I have very little knowledge of Access, however, I can use LotSoft as a basics for my development. Is there anyone here that can provide me with insight, advice, references or assistance with the development of a Access lottery tracking database system

I would always recommend getting a good book before digging into a new technology.

I have no idea what your technical level is, so here are the two ends of the spectrum:

Access 2007 Bible - I have the version of that book for SQL Server 2005, and it's an excellent and thorough book covering all aspects of the technology.

Access 2007 For Dummies - The "For Dummies" books are always pretty good introductions for people just starting out.  The limitations for these (and any beginners books) is that some of the techniques used are not necessarily the most efficient or complete, but that's OK for a beginners book.

These are both for Access 2007, but if you click the links you can certainly find books for the older versions of Access also.  Access is an extremely powerful tool, and will be well-suited to almost any size application.

Good luck.

Check the State Lottery Report Card
            What grade did your lottery earn?

Sign the Petition for True Lottery Drawings
            Help eliminate computerized drawings!

Anywhere & Everywhere
              United States
              Member #10713
              January 23, 2005
              290 Posts
              Posted: January 20, 2007, 11:32 am - IP Logged

Thanks Todd for your insight, confirming my thoughts for Access as a viable solutions and the book references.

dK