Welcome Guest
You last visited December 6, 2016, 9:00 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Which would be best for me: Straight, Boxed, or Combo?

Topic closed. 7 replies. Last post 10 years ago by dumars798.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink

Which would be best for me: Straight, Boxed, or Combo?

Straight [ 1 ]  [10.00%]
Boxed [ 6 ]  [60.00%]
Combo [ 3 ]  [30.00%]
Total Valid Votes [ 10 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 0 ]  
Guru101's avatar - rw6jhh
Indiana
United States
Member #48725
January 7, 2007
1953 Posts
Posted: January 21, 2007, 7:14 pm - IP Logged

The only lottery I've pretty much played has been PowerBall, but lately I've been thinking about playing Pick 4. Which method do you think is best? Straight, Boxed, or Combo? Straight has the biggest prize, but you have to get it in the exact order. Boxed is easier than straight, but doesn't pay out nearly as much. Combo is midway through. I've been looking at the past results of Daily 4(Indiana's Pick 4 game), and was able to create a computer program that can eliminate up to 80% of non-winning sets. But that is only what I have done SO FAR. I just might be able to eliminate even more. Possibly beyond 90%. So now that I have this computer program, which way should I go? I'm thinking Combo would be best because even if I wouldn't have to get the numbers in the exact order, I would still end up getting a decent payout.Group Hug

Gonna win.Big Smile

emilyg's avatar - cat anm.gif

United States
    Member #14
    November 9, 2001
    31347 Posts
    Posted: January 21, 2007, 7:32 pm - IP Logged

The only lottery I've pretty much played has been PowerBall, but lately I've been thinking about playing Pick 4. Which method do you think is best? Straight, Boxed, or Combo? Straight has the biggest prize, but you have to get it in the exact order. Boxed is easier than straight, but doesn't pay out nearly as much. Combo is midway through. I've been looking at the past results of Daily 4(Indiana's Pick 4 game), and was able to create a computer program that can eliminate up to 80% of non-winning sets. But that is only what I have done SO FAR. I just might be able to eliminate even more. Possibly beyond 90%. So now that I have this computer program, which way should I go? I'm thinking Combo would be best because even if I wouldn't have to get the numbers in the exact order, I would still end up getting a decent payout.Group Hug

Start with box.  As your lottery funds grow - go to combo.

love to nibble those micey feet.

MADDOG10's avatar - smoke
      Beautiful Florida
      United States
      Member #5709
      July 18, 2004
      20110 Posts
      Posted: January 21, 2007, 7:38 pm - IP Logged

Thats the route to take...!

"  When Injustice Becomes Law, Resistance Becomes Duty "

Indiana
        United States
        Member #48725
        January 7, 2007
        1953 Posts
        Posted: January 21, 2007, 7:41 pm - IP Logged

Could someone explain what the wagers are for? It says mark your amount: $1, $2, $5, or $10. What purpose do these serve?

Indiana
          United States
          Member #48725
          January 7, 2007
          1953 Posts
          Posted: January 21, 2007, 8:05 pm - IP Logged

Could someone explain what the wagers are for? It says mark your amount: $1, $2, $5, or $10. What purpose do these serve?

Oh wait. Does it multiply your win? Say you wagered $2 on a set, you would multiply your win by 2?

dumars798's avatar - batman17
            Atlanta
            United States
            Member #28656
            December 20, 2005
            5675 Posts
            Posted: January 21, 2007, 8:28 pm - IP Logged

I Agree!

Smart bets...... Equal Phat Pocket$!

United States
              Member #10720
              January 23, 2005
              933 Posts
              Posted: January 21, 2007, 9:49 pm - IP Logged

It depends on several things. Pick 3 is better STR and Pick 4 is better BOX because STR they take taxes and already the Lottery takeout is 50% (a 50c ticket has a 1/1000 chance to win 500 times 50c).

All that BOX means, is for the same 50c you are covering all the arrangements of those 3 or 4 digits. But, you get a fraction of the top prize based on how many STR numbers that combination covers. But, the odds to win are similarly reduced. Basically you get what you pay for. It's just that with Pick 4 BOX they usually don't have to withhold taxes.

The worst bugaboo with BOX is deciding to play Doubles or non-Doubles, or more rare boxes. Doubles and non-Doubles come out almost equally on Pick 4. I suggest if you box PICK 4 you should play your best non-Double, your best Double, and, if you haven't seen a DoubleDouble or Triple in a while, toss one in until one comes out. Recently I "smelled" a DD and one did come out but was not the one I picked.

dumars798's avatar - batman17
                Atlanta
                United States
                Member #28656
                December 20, 2005
                5675 Posts
                Posted: January 21, 2007, 10:56 pm - IP Logged

It depends on several things. Pick 3 is better STR and Pick 4 is better BOX because STR they take taxes and already the Lottery takeout is 50% (a 50c ticket has a 1/1000 chance to win 500 times 50c).

All that BOX means, is for the same 50c you are covering all the arrangements of those 3 or 4 digits. But, you get a fraction of the top prize based on how many STR numbers that combination covers. But, the odds to win are similarly reduced. Basically you get what you pay for. It's just that with Pick 4 BOX they usually don't have to withhold taxes.

The worst bugaboo with BOX is deciding to play Doubles or non-Doubles, or more rare boxes. Doubles and non-Doubles come out almost equally on Pick 4. I suggest if you box PICK 4 you should play your best non-Double, your best Double, and, if you haven't seen a DoubleDouble or Triple in a while, toss one in until one comes out. Recently I "smelled" a DD and one did come out but was not the one I picked.

Well said LckyLarry!

Smart bets...... Equal Phat Pocket$!