Welcome Guest
You last visited December 6, 2016, 4:42 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Lotto League

Topic closed. 4 replies. Last post 10 years ago by cps10.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
San Diego
United States
Member #49197
January 23, 2007
18 Posts
Posted: January 24, 2007, 1:49 am - IP Logged

Howdy Folks,I'm new to the board and site, so greetings to all.

I'm trying to organize a lotto-bowling league. It's a unique idea with a lot of possibilities. I'm still negotiating the details with the bowl manager.

I'll tell you how it works and then you can offer any ideas or suggestions that I may not have thought of.

The league will have between 40-60 members. League fees will either be $16 or $20 per week. Most bowling leagues in this area cost $13 to $17 per week. We will be appealing to established bowlers with a casual interest in playing lotto. We might be able to attract some of the die-hard lotto players who also bowl. The casual players may not be too keen on the $20 per week option.

The $16 per week league includes three games of bowling. A portion of the fees will go into a standard bowling league prize fund, and bowling fees. The rest of the money will go towards lotto pools.

Each league member will automatically be entered into two main lotto pools. We are in California, so the two pools are SuperLotto Plus and Mega Millions. Each player will own one equal share in each pool. We will buy one ticket per player per draw (4 draws per week). So if we have 50 members we will buy 50 tickets for every draw.

All winnings will go into a special prize pool account which will be paid out at the end of the 16-week league, or when each share exceeds $100. To keep things simple and easy to manage, these winnings will not be reinvested.

For those who want more than an oversized lotto pool we will offer additional weekly pools for those who want smaller and stronger pools. These optional pools will be paid out in full the following week. Optional pools include:

• SuperLotto
  • Mega Millions
  • Powerball 
  • Fantasy Five 

The $20 per week league is the same as above except we will add Powerball as the third all-inclusive league pool ($4 per week (2 draws @ $1 + $1 power-play)). We are in San Diego, so once every five weeks I will drive to Yuma and legally buy tickets for the league pool and optional pools.

There are several things that make this concept appealing:

• All players meet every week. 
  • Each player is financially obligated to pay in full every week even if they don't show up. This means every player is in the pool every draw even if they don't show up to bowl. This eliminates a lot of the hassles (lawsuits) that office pools have when they hit it big.
  • Each player can choose his/her own numbers, or quick pick if they want. Each team (three players) uses it's own team playslip that we keep on file. We use the same playslips every week. A player can easily change numbers every week if they choose.

The bowling center is a licensed Lottery retailer. Therefore the Lotto League is conducted by a separate San Diego lottery Club and the bowling center is not involved in promoting the league, buying tickets or banking the money. They simply provide the bowling lanes.

I've done a lot of research on this. I'm still preparing the official rules, format and release/agreement forms.

Any thoughts or ideas? Am I wasting my time...? 

Thanks - Brian

Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
    Chief Bottle Washer
    New Jersey
    United States
    Member #1
    May 31, 2000
    23262 Posts
    Posted: January 24, 2007, 7:40 am - IP Logged

Sounds interesting!

Just be sure to use good agreement forms, and be strict about having people sign.  Also, make sure that you get an accurate list of people playing each and every game, and distribute copies of tickets.  Make sure they are always bought, and communicate to people if they are not. 

The biggest issue you want to guard against is if you hit the big jackpot, someone who played at one time could claim they thought they were in it.  Make sure wording makes it clear that such people are not in it.

Since you're in California, check  the Calif. web site (www.calottery.com) -- I think they have a template for setting up a player pool.  It may be helpful to be  sure you don't miss anything.

Check the State Lottery Report Card
    What grade did your lottery earn?

Sign the Petition for True Lottery Drawings
    Help eliminate computerized drawings!

San Diego
      United States
      Member #49197
      January 23, 2007
      18 Posts
      Posted: January 24, 2007, 10:20 am - IP Logged

Thanks for your comments.

The issues you brought up I didn't reference in my post. During the first league bowling game will will collect all league fees and accept last minute number changes. During the second game we will purchase all tickets for the upcoming week. During the third game we will make xerrox copies of purchased tickets so each player can take them home when they leave.

We don't have to worry about players complaining about not being in the pool when we hit the big one. Every player registered on a team will be in all drawings for the duration of the league (at least 64 draws - 96 if we include Powerball). Even if they are absent a week or two and don't pay, they are still in. They are contractually obligated to make up any back fees upon their return. This will all be spelled out in the agreement forms. All players must sign the form or they cannot participate our our special lotto league.

As for the optional pools.... We will have special pool tickets printed up that will spell out for which draw(s) they are for.  We'll do our best to make sure that they understand that this is their official receipt. They will also understand that with the exception of Powerball all optional pools are week to week and if you don't pay you are not in. We will spell this out very clearly in the agreement.

In addition to the face to face interaction every week, the club can stay connected on our web site which will have all information including digitized images of current and past tickets, images of current bank statements, complete results, rules, and a message board.

-Brian

LottoGroups's avatar - peace

Canada
        Member #35567
        March 19, 2006
        40 Posts
        Posted: January 24, 2007, 1:03 pm - IP Logged

Hey FatLane,

Sounds like fun. I wished I lived close by. I would join in for sure.

Good luck on your new venture.

Lotto Groups - the best way to win

cps10's avatar - Lottery-004.jpg
          The Carolinas - Charlotte
          United States
          Member #21627
          September 12, 2005
          4138 Posts
          Posted: January 24, 2007, 1:10 pm - IP Logged

This is definitely a new and interesting twist. Good luck! Sounds like a blast!

The North Carolina Education Lottery - so much a joke that here are their mascots:

Stooges