Welcome Guest
Log In | Register )
You last visited December 6, 2016, 11:05 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Computer VS Gravity

Topic closed. 7 replies. Last post 10 years ago by guesser.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
Avatar

United States
Member #10438
January 13, 2005
431 Posts
Offline
Posted: January 25, 2007, 9:12 am - IP Logged

If  gravity is  better why have I had hits with pc draws such as keno yet cant hit anything on the others games  that are G run... Computer draws are almost predictable in some ways  3 dots and a dash so to speak .Gravity machines are hard to figure    I really dont prefer the gravity machine over pc or visa versa but would like a doggone hit on the G drawsCrying

 

 

Think like a computerScared

    guesser's avatar - Lottery-017.jpg

    United States
    Member #41383
    June 16, 2006
    1969 Posts
    Offline
    Posted: January 25, 2007, 5:33 pm - IP Logged

    You just answered your own question.

    I don't think like a computer, I think using logic to point me in some directions and then throw logic out the window when I get there...

    The very first thing you do in Powerball is to NOT fall in love with a number or with how a set of numbers 'look'.  

      JADELottery's avatar - MeAtWork 03.PNG
      The Quantum Master
      West Concord, MN
      United States
      Member #21
      December 7, 2001
      3675 Posts
      Offline
      Posted: January 26, 2007, 3:44 am - IP Logged

      Here's the real Gravity of the Computer Generated vs. Ball Drawn. All lottery drawings are an experiment in random selection conducted on a twice weekly or daily basis with multiple experiments conducted each day. Like any experiment, anyone should be able to repeat the experiment for themselves. With Ball Drawn, it's easy, you have some information on what the machine and mechanisms are used to randomize the balls. You may even have some information on the material used to make the balls. Thus, giving you some means of repeating the experiment. With Computer Generated, we get nothing. What code is used to pick the numbers? Who wrote the code? How is the random selection being done? Is it by pseudo code, random number table, radioactive decay, the weather? What is actually going on in the little computer they love and trust so much, I'd like to know. But that's just it, they don't. I see one of two possibilities: Either there is really something funny going on with the picking process, or they are worried they don't have good enough security protocols in place to prevent someone from hacking the system. Either way, the more mystery there is, the more doubt there is, the less likely people are going to buy tickets.

      Also, I read the '6 disturbing trends in lotteries'. Here's another, the selling of the state lotteries. Maybe they're positioning themselves in such a way as to avoid any legal entanglements should some kind of Evidence surface that something funny is going on. Just for thought, no proof...  but I have this interesting way of making known the knowable.

      Presented 'AS IS' and for Entertainment Purposes Only.
      Any gain or loss is your responsibility.
      Use at your own risk.

      Order is a Subset of Chaos
      Knowledge is Beyond Belief
      Wisdom is Not Censored
      Douglas Paul Smallish
      Jehocifer

        guesser's avatar - Lottery-017.jpg

        United States
        Member #41383
        June 16, 2006
        1969 Posts
        Offline
        Posted: January 26, 2007, 12:23 pm - IP Logged

        Let's see if I can say this right, it might be tough;

        They say the odds of picking a winner are 1 in 146 million, we just went 16 drawings until a winner was hit, so 'in theory' the odds that just hit were 1 in 2.336 BILLION, right ?             I know that's assuming you sold 146 million different tickets every drawing - which obviously did not happen, but let's say they sold 73 million different combos every drawing, that's still 1 in 1.168 BILLION, how much more random do you want ?

        I'm with you: if they ever switched to computer pick, I'll quit playing.  And as for selling the lotteries, the states don't own Powerball, so it seems to be OK there, but they cannot sell them to avoid legal problems, because as long as they endorse it, they can be part of the lawsuit, ie if I get drunk at your bar and kill someone, you will be sued, not Budweiser or Johnny Walker, or actually, all will be sued.

          Avatar
          NY
          United States
          Member #23835
          October 16, 2005
          3474 Posts
          Offline
          Posted: January 27, 2007, 1:52 am - IP Logged

          Let's see if I can say this right, it might be tough;

          They say the odds of picking a winner are 1 in 146 million, we just went 16 drawings until a winner was hit, so 'in theory' the odds that just hit were 1 in 2.336 BILLION, right ?             I know that's assuming you sold 146 million different tickets every drawing - which obviously did not happen, but let's say they sold 73 million different combos every drawing, that's still 1 in 1.168 BILLION, how much more random do you want ?

          I'm with you: if they ever switched to computer pick, I'll quit playing.  And as for selling the lotteries, the states don't own Powerball, so it seems to be OK there, but they cannot sell them to avoid legal problems, because as long as they endorse it, they can be part of the lawsuit, ie if I get drunk at your bar and kill someone, you will be sued, not Budweiser or Johnny Walker, or actually, all will be sued.

          I'm not sure what you're trying to say, but your numbers are wrong. The chances of getting a winner or rolling depend on the percentage of combinations that are played. Selling half of the possible combinations is easy. There would be  a 1 in 2 chance of having a winner and a 1 in 2 chance that it would roll.  For n events you just raise the 1 in 2 to the nth power, just like you would for figuring the probability when flipping a coin. Two winners in a row, two rolls in a row, or aroll followed by a winner would all have the same probability, which is 1 in 2*2 or  1 in 4.  3 specific  outcomes would be 1 in 8. For 16  rolls it would be 1 in 2 ^ 16th, which is 1 in 65,536.

          With a cash value of about  121 million they sold a total of about 400 million tickets. Of course they sold most of them during the last  couple of rolls, but if they were  spread evenly over the 16 rolls it would be about 25 million for each roll. If there weren't any duplicate tickets (and there would have been millions for each roll) that would mean about 17 % of the combinations were played each time, which would mean a 17% chance for a winner and an 83% chance of rolling. The chance of rolling 16 times would then be about .05, or 1 in 20, so there would be a 95% chance that there would be a winner by the 16th roll. Since the perentage of combinations played wasn't evenly distributed the real  probability of getting to 16 rolls would have been a bit less than 5% if there were no duplicate tickets. Since there are a lot of duplicate tickets there's actually more than 5% chance of  making it through 16 rolls while selling 400 million tickets.

            guesser's avatar - Lottery-017.jpg

            United States
            Member #41383
            June 16, 2006
            1969 Posts
            Offline
            Posted: January 28, 2007, 2:44 am - IP Logged

            FLoyd, either way, by looking at your numbers OR mine, it's kinda hard to get more random than it is, THAT was my point.

              Avatar
              NY
              United States
              Member #23835
              October 16, 2005
              3474 Posts
              Offline
              Posted: January 28, 2007, 2:57 am - IP Logged

              Yup, it's definitely random, but the randomness and the odds are completely different things. You've only got 1 in 2 odds when flipping a coin, but that's still random.  If a computer generated result for PB meant that there were only 5 million combinations that could be drawn there would only be a 1 in 5 million chance of predicting it, but the results wouldn't be random.

                guesser's avatar - Lottery-017.jpg

                United States
                Member #41383
                June 16, 2006
                1969 Posts
                Offline
                Posted: January 28, 2007, 1:15 pm - IP Logged

                You can bet your behind the computer generated sets to choose from would be a lot higher than 1 in 5 mill.

                Odds are one thing you can, and cannot, predict.

                Odds can go one way for quite a long time, then gradually go the other way, the fun part is trying to find when that is happening, and the final basis 'number' when there is no basis, I am going thru that right now.   One thing I noticed in my trackings occurred 3 times more than the other - it stood out like a sore thumb, I played it and did quite well - but that's only ONE of the numbers, and now the 'odds' are catching up in a hurry, and it isn't so predictable.  When it comes down to it, it's just the luck of the draw.