Welcome Guest
You last visited January 24, 2017, 2:35 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

A Cry for Help!!

Topic closed. 8 replies. Last post 10 years ago by webmark.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
Norristown
United States
Member #33521
February 22, 2006
11 Posts
Posted: January 26, 2007, 12:56 pm - IP Logged

I have 5 filters in my favorite software that I would like to concentrate on. Each filter can be played 2 ways. How many different would I get using 5 filters at a time? I just can't seem to get it right. Would someone please help me?

CARBOB's avatar - FL LOTTERY_LOGO.png
    ORLANDO, FLORIDA
    United States
    Member #4924
    June 3, 2004
    5982 Posts
    Posted: January 26, 2007, 1:02 pm - IP Logged

I have 5 filters in my favorite software that I would like to concentrate on. Each filter can be played 2 ways. How many different would I get using 5 filters at a time? I just can't seem to get it right. Would someone please help me?

I get confused myself.

I think it woud be 2x2x2x2x2=32 Don't hold me to this!!

NY
      United States
      Member #23835
      October 16, 2005
      3502 Posts
      Posted: January 27, 2007, 2:09 am - IP Logged

For anything where you have two possible outcomes for each event,  the possible outcomes for multiple events will be 2 raised to (the number of events). In your case it would be 2 to the 5th, or 2*2* 2*2*2, which is 32. 

The general formula is (possible outcomes for each event) ^ (number of events). If each filter had 4 possibilities and you had 3 filters  there would be a total of 4^3rd combinations or 4*4*4, which is 64.

johnph77's avatar - avatar
        CA
        United States
        Member #2987
        December 10, 2003
        832 Posts
        Posted: January 27, 2007, 4:28 am - IP Logged

The filter webmark may be trying to use may not simply be on-off. For instance, there are in existence 90% filters on sums, numeric positions, and more.

Before anyone tries to help they would have to know specifics - what lottery, what filters?

gl

j

Blessed Saint Leibowitz, keep 'em dreamin' down there..... 

Next week's convention for Psychics and Prognosticators has been cancelled due to unforeseen circumstances.

=^.^=

time*treat's avatar - radar

United States
          Member #13130
          March 30, 2005
          2171 Posts
          Posted: January 27, 2007, 4:47 pm - IP Logged

If the filters are percentage based, I have a couple of blog entries (partial credit filtering) on doing calculations like that.

In neo-conned Amerika, bank robs you.
          Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms should be the name of a convenience store, not a govnoment agency.

NY
            United States
            Member #23835
            October 16, 2005
            3502 Posts
            Posted: January 28, 2007, 2:00 am - IP Logged

The filter webmark may be trying to use may not simply be on-off. For instance, there are in existence 90% filters on sums, numeric positions, and more.

Before anyone tries to help they would have to know specifics - what lottery, what filters?

gl

j

The rest of his question wasn't well-worded, but he clearly said each of 5 filters "can be played 2 ways."  If he was asking how many possible ways he can use the 5 filters with two options for each filter, then it's a simple math question (maybe that's why he chose to put it in the math forum?). If that is what he was asking we have exactly the information we need, and the answer is 32. It doesn't matter what the filters do, or what games they're used for. 

If the filters can be used in more than 2 ways the formula is still the same:  (number of ways the filters can be played) to the 5th power.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
              mid-Ohio
              United States
              Member #9
              March 24, 2001
              19903 Posts
              Posted: January 28, 2007, 3:25 am - IP Logged

I have a program that I designed myself which allows me to setup parameters that are similar to what others call filters and if they are too restrictive no combinations will be selected but I guess you'll never know until you try.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

time*treat's avatar - radar

United States
                Member #13130
                March 30, 2005
                2171 Posts
                Posted: January 28, 2007, 2:02 pm - IP Logged

KY is absolutely correct. The number of "ways" is 32.

The next step may be to find out which of those 32 ways gives the best results, and how to do those calculations. I think some of us were anticipating (jumping to) that step. As johnph77 noted, these things can have a finer granularity than "on/off".

In neo-conned Amerika, bank robs you.
                Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms should be the name of a convenience store, not a govnoment agency.

Norristown
                  United States
                  Member #33521
                  February 22, 2006
                  11 Posts
                  Posted: January 29, 2007, 8:15 am - IP Logged

Thanks to everyone for their response. Let me be more specific. The software I am using is Ion's MDIEditor and would like to experiment with I1 through I5 filters which can be played under or over the median. I want to play all 5 filters under or over the median or both ways at the same time.  As basis of my strategy I want to use the total possible combinations.Hope that is a clearer defination of what i am trying ascertain. Good luck to everyone today.

Norm.