Welcome Guest
You last visited December 7, 2016, 11:24 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

P.M. notifications interrupting things

Topic closed. 11 replies. Last post 10 years ago by Todd.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
Rick G's avatar - avatar 1766.jpg
FEMA Region V Camp #21
United States
Member #520
July 27, 2002
5699 Posts
Posted: January 26, 2007, 6:15 pm - IP Logged

Todd,

I think Private Messages should be treated similarly as an e-mail on a browser.  The member can be made aware of it without a pop-up box interrupting the flow of what the member is doing. 

On LP you can be in the middle of a response to a blog and be interrupted by a pop-up window informing you of a PM and then you've lost your blog response that you may have spent fifteen minutes composing because you cannot return to it after the pop-up appears.

This is just my opinion, but what I'm doing on here at a specific moment in time is more important to me than a Private Message that I can read when I'm finished with what I'm doing.

If that cannot be done then my suggestion would be an option to toggle on/off all PM's at the member's discretion. 

Thank you for your consideration.

Posted 4/6:  IL Pick 3 midday and evening until they hit:  555, 347 (str8).

four4me's avatar - gate1
    MD
    United States
    Member #1701
    June 18, 2003
    8361 Posts
    Posted: January 26, 2007, 6:41 pm - IP Logged

Rick you can toggle it on and off go to board settings and click PM's off

FEMA Region V Camp #21
      United States
      Member #520
      July 27, 2002
      5699 Posts
      Posted: January 26, 2007, 7:07 pm - IP Logged

Rick you can toggle it on and off go to board settings and click PM's off

Thanks, Larry...I didn't realize that.  That will save some postus-interruptus.

Just saw that I had the pop-up enabled.

Todd, as roseanne roseanne-a danna said,...."Nevermind" 

Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
        Chief Bottle Washer
        New Jersey
        United States
        Member #1
        May 31, 2000
        23265 Posts
        Posted: January 26, 2007, 11:38 pm - IP Logged

Rick,

Just saw this post, and I'm glad to see that Four4Me pointed you in the right direction.

I'd suggest doing some exploring in the various options panels if you get the chance.  If you didn't see that option, there may be a few other pleasant surprises waiting as well.

You may notice, now that you've turned off the popup feature, that you get a nice glowing red indicator when a PM is in your box.  That's how I have mine set too, and I notice it very easily.  However, you'd be surprised at just how many people DON'T see something like that, and absolutely will not realize there's a PM waiting unless they are literally interupted from what they're doing.

There may come a time in the future when I can take some time to create a slightly more subtle PM popup, which would not interrupt your activity, but as easy as it may sound, all of these little things take time, and I have about one thousand items on my to-do list.

Check the State Lottery Report Card
        What grade did your lottery earn?

Sign the Petition for True Lottery Drawings
        Help eliminate computerized drawings!

Ms. Pat's avatar - Lottery-032.jpg
          Fayetteville, Georgia
          United States
          Member #3593
          February 2, 2004
          2285 Posts
          Posted: January 27, 2007, 12:39 am - IP Logged

Doesn't bother me...I rather like it!

Ms.Pat

FEMA Region V Camp #21
            United States
            Member #520
            July 27, 2002
            5699 Posts
            Posted: February 2, 2007, 9:39 pm - IP Logged

Doesn't bother me...I rather like it!

Ms.Pat

To put it as bluntly and mildly as possible, I hate it.

I've toggled the pop-up notification for PM's to 'off'.   I am still getting interrupted.  I checked my setting and somehow  it was toggled back to 'on'.  I toggled it back to 'off'.  I was writing a PM to Todd about the problem and , damn it if I didn't get another friggin' pop-up window for a f'in PM.

Please give us the option to turn this feature off totally if we cannot toggle it on and off.

As I said, I tried to do this via PM to you Todd but got erased by this irritating PM crap so I'm posting it here and typing as fast as I can because if it happens again I will throw my keyboard at my monitor. 

No more PMs to me.  When my box is full it stays full. 

JAP69's avatar - alas
              South Carolina
              United States
              Member #6
              November 4, 2001
              8790 Posts
              Posted: February 2, 2007, 9:48 pm - IP Logged

If I remember correctly.

When you get a pm pop up you can close the pop up without loosing what you are working on.

MAGA

JAP69's avatar - alas
                South Carolina
                United States
                Member #6
                November 4, 2001
                8790 Posts
                Posted: February 3, 2007, 12:17 am - IP Logged

I do not want to ask a stupid question but.

Did you save board settings at the bottom?

MAGA

FEMA Region V Camp #21
                  United States
                  Member #520
                  July 27, 2002
                  5699 Posts
                  Posted: February 3, 2007, 12:30 am - IP Logged

I do not want to ask a stupid question but.

Did you save board settings at the bottom?

John, that's not a stupid question.  You're asking it to a stupid person.  I just thought that maybe that was what I was doing wrong and went back to the settings page and scrolled down to save settings.

I don't know if I did that before.  Then I came back to the topic and saw your post.

Never said I was smart....Big Grin

EDIT...PS:  Thanks for your help, John. 

Chief Bottle Washer
                    New Jersey
                    United States
                    Member #1
                    May 31, 2000
                    23265 Posts
                    Posted: February 3, 2007, 1:27 am - IP Logged

To put it as bluntly and mildly as possible, I hate it.

I've toggled the pop-up notification for PM's to 'off'.   I am still getting interrupted.  I checked my setting and somehow  it was toggled back to 'on'.  I toggled it back to 'off'.  I was writing a PM to Todd about the problem and , damn it if I didn't get another friggin' pop-up window for a f'in PM.

Please give us the option to turn this feature off totally if we cannot toggle it on and off.

As I said, I tried to do this via PM to you Todd but got erased by this irritating PM crap so I'm posting it here and typing as fast as I can because if it happens again I will throw my keyboard at my monitor. 

No more PMs to me.  When my box is full it stays full. 

There is no feature at Lottery Post that pops up a box while you're typing something, only when you go to a different page.

Also, as I mentioned above, that feature can easily be turned off in the Board Settings page.

FEMA Region V Camp #21
                      United States
                      Member #520
                      July 27, 2002
                      5699 Posts
                      Posted: February 3, 2007, 3:23 am - IP Logged

There is no feature at Lottery Post that pops up a box while you're typing something, only when you go to a different page.

Also, as I mentioned above, that feature can easily be turned off in the Board Settings page.

Todd,

I have figured out my probable mistake of not saving my board settings.  So we'll set that issue aside.

But if you have the pop-up window for PM's enabled, the pop-up window for a PM does interrupt a Blog response or a PM.  I was in the middle of a sentence in a PM to you tonight when the screen disappeared, replaced by the PM notification.  Hitting cancel returned me to the home page, not the PM I was writing to you.  I am aware of the pop-up occurring when switching screens which is great, but in the circumstance of blog response or PM it happens without switching screens.

Anyone else?

Chief Bottle Washer
                        New Jersey
                        United States
                        Member #1
                        May 31, 2000
                        23265 Posts
                        Posted: February 3, 2007, 7:40 am - IP Logged

Todd,

I have figured out my probable mistake of not saving my board settings.  So we'll set that issue aside.

But if you have the pop-up window for PM's enabled, the pop-up window for a PM does interrupt a Blog response or a PM.  I was in the middle of a sentence in a PM to you tonight when the screen disappeared, replaced by the PM notification.  Hitting cancel returned me to the home page, not the PM I was writing to you.  I am aware of the pop-up occurring when switching screens which is great, but in the circumstance of blog response or PM it happens without switching screens.

Anyone else?

After you changed your settings, I'm sure this will be a non-issue for you.