Welcome Guest
You last visited January 19, 2017, 6:21 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

the whitaker rule--for all jackpot winners

Topic closed. 20 replies. Last post 10 years ago by justxploring.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
LOTTOMIKE's avatar - Lottery-063.jpg
Tennessee
United States
Member #7853
October 15, 2004
11338 Posts
Posted: January 27, 2007, 2:27 am - IP Logged

do you think when someone wins a jackpot they should have something called "the whitaker rule".what i mean by that is that if someone gets in trouble due to drinking,drugs,etc. or start spending too much at once then the assets are frozen until that person gets some couseling and a clearer head on their shoulders.what do you think?

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
    Wandering Aimlessly
    United States
    Member #25360
    November 5, 2005
    4461 Posts
    Posted: January 27, 2007, 5:09 am - IP Logged

I think there are enough rules telling us what we can and cannot do with our own lives.  In Jack's case, his wife probably had the option of taking legal action.  I'm not opposed to family intervention if an individual is acting in ways he/she might cause harm.  However, once you start imposing laws on personal behavior, where do you draw the line?  We're all adults and make choices.  Unfortunately, many of them are bad choices.  Offenses relating to substance abuse like DUI and domestic violence need to be taken very seriously, but how someone blows his money and screws up his life isn't the Lottery's business.

s5thomps's avatar - Lottery-033.jpg
      Hard Luck, Ak
      United States
      Member #23472
      October 13, 2005
      279 Posts
      Posted: January 27, 2007, 5:37 am - IP Logged

Just Exploring, I totally agree with your views. Sometimes things happen either good or bad that challenges us. When Jack won the single biggest jackpot in history he did a lot of good things for a lot of people. But having that much amount of money does not give the right to do whatever on pleases without consequences. They are plenty of lottery winners out there that are living normal lives and taking care of their families that you never hear about because they were smart about their fortune. It's sad that anyone that wins that amount of money loses their moral compass. You don't see Bill Gates or Donald Trump doing foolish things with their wealth. Bottom line Mr. Whittaker had a choice and he chose to put himself in situations that not only cost him his family, but reports are now that the money is all gone. There is some good that can come out of this though. If any of us are ever fortunate enough to win a jackpot, we know what not to do. Just get a good financial planner take a deep breath and plan out the rest of your life. That money that Jack won (if invested properly) should have lasted for Generations to come.  Experts always say that "old money" is better than new money because when millions of dollars are thrust upon somebody, people with good intentions such as Jack lose all common sense and make bad decisions. Let's all remember that money is just a tool of wealth, but it does not guarantee happily ever after!Thinking of...

"We make a living by what you get, You make a LIFE by what you give!"

Sir Winston ChurchillSun Smiley

Litebets27's avatar - power
        Maryland
        United States
        Member #10465
        January 14, 2005
        6065 Posts
        Posted: January 27, 2007, 7:29 am - IP Logged

I think there are enough rules telling us what we can and cannot do with our own lives.  In Jack's case, his wife probably had the option of taking legal action.  I'm not opposed to family intervention if an individual is acting in ways he/she might cause harm.  However, once you start imposing laws on personal behavior, where do you draw the line?  We're all adults and make choices.  Unfortunately, many of them are bad choices.  Offenses relating to substance abuse like DUI and domestic violence need to be taken very seriously, but how someone blows his money and screws up his life isn't the Lottery's business.

I Agree! .←

The Government, be it local, State or Federal take enough from us. Please don't invite them in to take away or freeze winnings by judging our behavior after we have a large win.

litebets

Feeling,  PRICELESS!!!Banana

Come on Jackpot!!!

MADDOG10's avatar - smoke
          Beautiful Florida
          United States
          Member #5709
          July 18, 2004
          20235 Posts
          Posted: January 27, 2007, 8:05 am - IP Logged

Mike,

We as a people have no right to impose more sanctions upon another human being, because he was foolish with his lifestyle after a Lottery win.

Although I don't agree with how he handled his life, it was his own choice and his alone.If he chose to put his life in ruins so be it, some things are better left undone or unsaid, and I believe this is one of them..

Being branded as " fool of the century " and having to look at himself in the mirror everyday would be enough sanctions, in my opinion...!

" You can not control the Wind, but you can direct the Sail "

md
            United States
            Member #14047
            April 20, 2005
            580 Posts
            Posted: January 27, 2007, 10:10 am - IP Logged

We live in a democracy, not a dictator society.  People are humans, adults, and whether they are Donald Trump or Jack Whitaker they must give account for how they behave and that should not be legislated or dictated by law enforcement.  You'll never get anyone in this society to buy into this insane notion.

dbello's avatar - scene sunoverlake.jpg
              Michigan
              United States
              Member #26915
              November 24, 2005
              6189 Posts
              Posted: January 27, 2007, 10:23 am - IP Logged

I agree with all of the above comments and would like to add my pledge............eternal hostility toward any form of tyranny over the minds of man(kind).  Nuf said.

California
                United States
                Member #46824
                October 1, 2006
                270 Posts
                Posted: January 27, 2007, 10:42 am - IP Logged

The lottery has no right, to tell a winner how to spend (or not spend) their winnings.  We live in a free society that allows us to make our own decisions, for better or worse.

With that said I like what the California Lottery has done.  On their web site under Media then Publications there is a link to Winners Manual.  This manual gives advice from past winners and professionals about some steps that one may want to take when the big day arrives.  While not mandatory reading, the lottery hopefully gives this handbook to all winners and suggests that read it prior to taking any actions.

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
                  Zeta Reticuli Star System
                  United States
                  Member #30470
                  January 17, 2006
                  10390 Posts
                  Posted: January 27, 2007, 10:49 am - IP Logged

LOTTOMIKE

NO, on several levels. Everyhting that has been said here, plus this;

Let's say a lottery winner went out and indulged themselves by buying something extravagant. Maybe a Maserati, who knows what. So the winners heirs freak out over it, go to the lottery commission, and say, "We want the "Whitaker" rule to come into play."

Future winners shouldn't have to face such rules or potential situations because of some past winners that just couldn't handle it. 

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

four4me's avatar - gate1
                    MD
                    United States
                    Member #1701
                    June 18, 2003
                    8393 Posts
                    Posted: January 27, 2007, 1:08 pm - IP Logged

Jack wasn't some guy that didn't know how to deal with money he was a millionaire before he won the jackpot. his lifestyle before he won was probably just about the same as it was after he won except now he had more money to throw around.

you tack that on with the excitement of having so much money to do just about anything one could ever want to then there can be some serious consequences.

Suppose Trump or Gates had won that money. I'll bet Trump would have spent it all within a week and for sure Gates would have set up another foundation.

but when the average Joe wins a big pot and there's no telling what he/she would do.

LOTTOMIKE's avatar - Lottery-063.jpg
                      Tennessee
                      United States
                      Member #7853
                      October 15, 2004
                      11338 Posts
                      Posted: January 27, 2007, 2:03 pm - IP Logged

thanks everyone!

i was just throwing that out there to see what people think.

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
                        Zeta Reticuli Star System
                        United States
                        Member #30470
                        January 17, 2006
                        10390 Posts
                        Posted: January 27, 2007, 6:24 pm - IP Logged

Consider this re: Whitaker and others who have experienced hitting a jackpot being a bad thing happeneing to them: 

I recently heard about this concept - it's a Jewish one - and have seen such amazing true life examples of it that I pass it on for what it's worth.

The illustration I heard went like this:

If someone came and handed you a no-strings attached £1,000,000 today, you would be very pleased. The same tomorrow, and the day after that, and the day after that, and so on.

There would come a time however, when you couldn't accept any more money, if you were a normal human being. Something inside would force you to say something like: 'Hey look, I can't accept any more of this money for nothing. I've got to do something for you in exchange. What can I do?'

The money you have been receiving for nothing is called the 'Bread of Shame'. Essentially, it is taking something for nothing - and the point is that such taking is damaging, if not ruinous, to your personality.

There comes a time when un-earned gifts and receipts cause the recipient to turn and bite the hand that feeds it.

It works at all levels in our lives. Children, for whom the parents do everything, and ask nothing in return, are generally obnoxious, ungrateful and unhappy.

If say a brother and sister lodge a person who is in need of a place to stay, and demand no payment, either in cash or in kind, there will come a time when that person will bite the hand that feeds it. The kind of bite will vary with the personality of the biter, but bite they will.

This is why the recipients of charity will, over a period of time, become soured and distorted personalities. The need to do something in return is a basic need of our psyche, and the inability to do something in return results in personality damage. You will find, for example, that if X has been receiving charity for some while, they actually become resentful if it stops, with such remarks as: He's /they've got plenty. Why aren't they sending the money/food/clothing/ whatever? Thanks and thankfulness go out the window.

The widow is a glowing example of the exact opposite. She gave everything she had, in return for what the Lord had given her.

It works, or seems to work that way in ecclesial life too. The ecclesia that does no preaching, for whatever reason, is almost literally eating the bread of shame. It is receiving grace and forgiveness and love from God in breaking bread, and gives nothing in return, in calling other people to the Truth. Those meetings are dull and depressing places to attend, whereas meetings who take the opposite attitude are generally warm and vibrant places. The bread of shame is distorting the ecclesial personality.

The same with us as individuals. If we have received the grace of God, and do not a. do something for our brethren and sisters and b. the poor and c. preach the word in our own little ways, then we turn the Bread of Life into the bread of shame, and end up by distorting our spiritual personalities. And who wants that?

http://www.thechristadelphians.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=4672&st=0&p=129859&#entry129859

Granted Jack did give millions to a coupe of churches, but maybe proper motivation, or something we don't really understand, comes into play.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
                          Wandering Aimlessly
                          United States
                          Member #25360
                          November 5, 2005
                          4461 Posts
                          Posted: January 28, 2007, 1:19 am - IP Logged

Coin Toss, I agree with this concept (in part) but I think Mr. Whittaker simply has a drinking problem.  Of course there's nothing "simple" about addiction, but we've over-analyzed his situation here.  He obviously felt a lot of pressure after he won, but according to many articles he gave away quite a bit of his wealth including $14 million to a foundation he started to feed and clothe people in West VA. 

In 12 step groups they have an expression that if you're an a-hole when you get on the plane, you're still an a-hole when you get off.  I'm not saying Jack is a bad person, but when someone has deep personal problems, changing where you live or your financial status isn't going to solve them.  You drag your baggage around until you unpack it and put it away forever.  On the other hand, give me a few million and I'll prove everyone wrong, including me.

NY
                            United States
                            Member #23835
                            October 16, 2005
                            3502 Posts
                            Posted: January 28, 2007, 2:45 am - IP Logged

There are all sorts of details, such as who would administer the rule and what constitutes "trouble" but the simple answer is that you're right to be stupid should only be limited when it causes real injury to other people, and victimless crimes shouldn't be crimes. When I say "real injury" I mean it has to do more than offend or inconvenience somebody. If you want to drink yourself to death, how is that any different than doing other risky things, such as trying to climb Mount Everest? If the money is yours, what you do with it is your choice, and as long as it's legal you should be able to spend it (or squander it) however you choose. If your spouse doesn't like what you're doing with it they're free to file for divorce and hope for a good settlement.  Your kids or other heirs have no claim on it at all, and only get what's offered freely.

FWIW, not all of Whittaker's troubles have been the direct result of drinking. I think his drinking problem is only a symptom of his a-hole problem.

we;reallwinners's avatar - praying hands.jpg

United States
                              Member #12416
                              March 13, 2005
                              564 Posts
                              Posted: January 28, 2007, 3:15 am - IP Logged

Coin Toss, I agree with this concept (in part) but I think Mr. Whittaker simply has a drinking problem.  Of course there's nothing "simple" about addiction, but we've over-analyzed his situation here.  He obviously felt a lot of pressure after he won, but according to many articles he gave away quite a bit of his wealth including $14 million to a foundation he started to feed and clothe people in West VA. 

In 12 step groups they have an expression that if you're an a-hole when you get on the plane, you're still an a-hole when you get off.  I'm not saying Jack is a bad person, but when someone has deep personal problems, changing where you live or your financial status isn't going to solve them.  You drag your baggage around until you unpack it and put it away forever.  On the other hand, give me a few million and I'll prove everyone wrong, including me.

Agreed.....I remember someone telling me a long time ago..

"we all have our bag of rocks, it's just that some of us like carrying them around so we can add to our collection, and some of us like to empty the bag once in a while"

to loosely quote a movie line......"in life someone has to play the Loser, be glad it wasn't you"

or the song lines that say "Ridin high in April, shot down in May"......

It's all about cycles, and who know's whether Mr Whittaker will win the jackpot AGAIN........all he has to do is buy ticket.

Wouldn't that be COOL????????

Rev 21:5 "Behold.... I make all things NEW"

Hiding Behind Computerbe vewyvewy quiet, WewHuntingNumbers