Welcome Guest
You last visited December 3, 2016, 8:56 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Do you wait for the PowerBall to get to a certain amount?

Topic closed. 24 replies. Last post 10 years ago by TheGameGrl.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink

Do you wait for the PowerBall to get to a certain amount?

Yes [ 26 ]  [54.17%]
No [ 22 ]  [45.83%]
Total Valid Votes [ 48 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 0 ]  
Guru101's avatar - rw6jhh
Indiana
United States
Member #48725
January 7, 2007
1953 Posts
Posted: January 27, 2007, 9:18 pm - IP Logged

There are quite a bit of people who only play the PowerBall when it gets up to a certain amount. I was just curious as too how many of you do this? Also, what is the amount that you wait for it to get to? I myself don't do it. Whether it be $15 Million or $300 Million, either would be nice to me, even after taxes.Big Smile

Gonna win.Big Smile

United States
    Member #10720
    January 23, 2005
    933 Posts
    Posted: January 27, 2007, 10:05 pm - IP Logged

The poll question is missing something: does this apply only to people who live in Powerball states? It's a 45 min. trip from here to the PA state line. I have to factor in fuel cost and time cost and sometimes weather conditions. Sometimes I play a few draws ahead just in case there'll be a snowstorm or a projcet to finish. If I am passing through a PB state I'll usually play any jackpot level but mormally I only go play if the PB is much higher than MM or if both MM and PB are 100M plus I like to be in both.

weshar75's avatar - Lottery-042.jpg
      Mcminnville, Oregon
      United States
      Member #3013
      December 13, 2003
      3047 Posts
      Posted: January 27, 2007, 10:18 pm - IP Logged

I do not wait because I like to be in the game for at least one line every drawing that I can.  I have to wait for Mega Millions though because weather and gas money and time dictate whether I can go to Washington to play it.-weshar75

Roslindale, MA
        United States
        Member #5377
        July 1, 2004
        135 Posts
        Posted: January 28, 2007, 7:30 am - IP Logged

Usually I wait until the cash value for MM hits $50 million (sometimes I'll play for less if I know I'm about to have a really bad day at work).

For PB I'd wait longer, since I have to take a train (basically adding a $9 round trip surcharge to the cost of playing) to get down to RI.

Morrison, IL
          United States
          Member #4657
          May 13, 2004
          1884 Posts
          Posted: January 28, 2007, 11:58 am - IP Logged

I play both PB and MM every draw no matter what.

rda76's avatar - Gameonsports1
            nashville, tn
            United States
            Member #49361
            January 28, 2007
            4 Posts
            Posted: January 28, 2007, 12:40 pm - IP Logged

i voted no because i have one set of numbers of my own that i play each draw and also participate in an office pool.  but i do begin to buy extra quickpick tickets when the jackpot reaches 200m or so.

guesser's avatar - Lottery-017.jpg

United States
              Member #41383
              June 16, 2006
              1969 Posts
              Posted: January 28, 2007, 1:06 pm - IP Logged

Why wait ?

I can retire on 15 mill just as easily as I can 250 mill, and besides, the lesser the amount, the less number of people playing, the better my chances (not to be confused with 'odds'). 

konane's avatar - wallace
                Atlanta, GA
                United States
                Member #1265
                March 13, 2003
                3333 Posts
                Posted: January 28, 2007, 1:08 pm - IP Logged

Why wait ?

I can retire on 15 mill just as easily as I can 250 mill, and besides, the lesser the amount, the less number of people playing, the better my chances (not to be confused with 'odds'). 

I Agree!

Good luck to everyone!

United States
                  Member #1826
                  July 11, 2003
                  2645 Posts
                  Posted: January 28, 2007, 10:34 pm - IP Logged

I do wait for the jackpot to get up in the 9-figure area simply as a method of budgeting my purchases. Playing every draw can be expensive. And if a better odds game, like Match 6, is up in the "I can retire on that" range, I won't play Powerball regardless of the jackpot.

That, and the fact that 4 out of the last 7 jackpots have been won in places I'm not even allowed to play Powerball (or as I have referred to them in the past, "bigot states") has really got me irked and thinking "You've had your chance Powerball, you blew it". I starting to miss Florida Lotto about now.

(insert signature here)

Greenwich, CT
                    United States
                    Member #4793
                    May 24, 2004
                    1822 Posts
                    Posted: January 29, 2007, 11:42 am - IP Logged

I wait for the annuitized value to reach $70-$80 million before I'll consider playing.  This allows for a break from the game, and time to focus on the rest of what life has to offer.

guesser's avatar - Lottery-017.jpg

United States
                      Member #41383
                      June 16, 2006
                      1969 Posts
                      Posted: January 30, 2007, 12:35 am - IP Logged

I do wait for the jackpot to get up in the 9-figure area simply as a method of budgeting my purchases. Playing every draw can be expensive. And if a better odds game, like Match 6, is up in the "I can retire on that" range, I won't play Powerball regardless of the jackpot.

That, and the fact that 4 out of the last 7 jackpots have been won in places I'm not even allowed to play Powerball (or as I have referred to them in the past, "bigot states") has really got me irked and thinking "You've had your chance Powerball, you blew it". I starting to miss Florida Lotto about now.

Geez, how much will it take for you to retire on ?  7-8 mill isn't enough ??

But also, if it's been so long since your state won one, don't you think you are coming due ?  I remember a time when I didn't want to play because PA had like 4 winners in one year.  This stuff all goes in cycles, what goes around, comes around. 

four4me's avatar - gate1
                        MD
                        United States
                        Member #1701
                        June 18, 2003
                        8360 Posts
                        Posted: January 30, 2007, 12:43 am - IP Logged

i wait for the 200 mil dollar range simply because i don't want to drive to DC every week or so.

when the pot gets big i get extra draws.

Big John says. You don't hit the number. The number hits you!!!!

I'm not Big John, I'm Four4me, Big John's a friend.
                          Georgia
                          United States
                          Member #49384
                          January 29, 2007
                          113 Posts
                          Posted: January 30, 2007, 4:18 am - IP Logged

Either way, I usually wait for the jackpot to get up to about 25 million, but considering there are about 12 states with mega millions your odds are pretty long. Fun but long.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                            mid-Ohio
                            United States
                            Member #9
                            March 24, 2001
                            19816 Posts
                            Posted: January 30, 2007, 2:48 pm - IP Logged

Since PowerBall is played in neighboring states, I wait until its jackpots is $200M before making a trip out of state to buy tickets, I can play to win a MegaMillions $15M jackpot locally.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

Pick3forSC's avatar - Lottery-017.jpg
                              North Carolina (West of Charlotte)
                              United States
                              Member #1436
                              April 28, 2003
                              628 Posts
                              Posted: January 30, 2007, 2:57 pm - IP Logged

I wait till PB gets above 80 mill. before i buy my tix.  Yes, i can live off the smaller jackpots should i ever be so fortunate to hit one, but i prefer to save my money till it reaches a higher level. I play a fair amount of Bingo also with pretty good results & i would rather spend some of my fun money against those much better odds at Bingo for a decent $$ prize than chasing the PB 2 times a week essentially losing more than i win on it.