Welcome Guest
You last visited December 7, 2016, 10:55 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Impulse Buying

Topic closed. 9 replies. Last post 10 years ago by guesser.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink

Do you spend more than you planned when you're at the counter?

Yes [ 11 ]  [30.56%]
No [ 12 ]  [33.33%]
Sometimes [ 13 ]  [36.11%]
Total Valid Votes [ 36 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 1 ]  
justxploring's avatar - villiarna
Wandering Aimlessly
United States
Member #25360
November 5, 2005
4461 Posts
Posted: January 31, 2007, 7:35 pm - IP Logged

Another thread that mentioned a player who used a mail-in subscription got me wondering about how this affects spending habits.  Although they get more money all at once, I am assuming the lottery would prefer if people bought their tickets at a retail store where they might add a scratch-off or other game to their usual picks.

Today I stopped to get my 4 Wed night Lotto tickets, something I've done for many years.  I pulled a $5 bill from my wallet and said "Oh, just add a Fantasy 5 QP too."  I wonder how many people plan to spend $2 and spend $4 or $10 and spend $15.  With millions of people buying lottery tickets, I'm sure a lot of money is generated by spontaneous urges  (or whims...or voices that say "buy another ticket!)  at the counter. 

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
    Zeta Reticuli Star System
    United States
    Member #30470
    January 17, 2006
    10351 Posts
    Posted: January 31, 2007, 8:27 pm - IP Logged

I voted sometimes.  

At first I didn't think you meant just lotto, thought you were perhaps talkng about tabloids and such, like the Weekly World News! 

I'm the numbers game player and my wife plays scratchers, I usually know what I'm going to get but she always looks to see if there are any new games.  

But I will go beyond what I inteneded if the clerk hears me wrong, like if I said Little Lotto and they say, "Lotto?", I take it as an omen to play that game, too.  

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

Wandering Aimlessly
      United States
      Member #25360
      November 5, 2005
      4461 Posts
      Posted: February 1, 2007, 4:55 am - IP Logged

Coin Toss, that's funny.  I guess a lot of people do pick up a few items at the checkout counter.  I stare at the candy, but I usually pass unless I have a strong urge for dark chocolate. (Hey, it's medicinal now!)  I never buy the tabloids, but I do giggle at the headlines while I'm waiting in line.

Nope, I was just talking about Lottery tickets.  I won a "Free Ticket" tonight by getting 2 numbers on my Fantasy 5, so that impulse buy didn't cost me anything after all.  I got $3.50 for Lotto (3 out of 6) so I'm only down 50 cents for the evening.  Lots of low numbers tonight. It rolled to $25M.

LOTTOMIKE's avatar - cash money.jpg
        Tennessee
        United States
        Member #7853
        October 15, 2004
        11338 Posts
        Posted: February 1, 2007, 5:13 am - IP Logged

i noticed something and maybe others who started playing online have done it too.before i started playing online and was still buying my tickets at the store i would buy pick 4 tickets then pick 3 and maybe some pick 5.as soon as i started playing pick 4 online i stopped buying all those extra tickets for pick 3 and pick 5 because i stopped playing at the store so there was not as much impulse.Type

Wandering Aimlessly
          United States
          Member #25360
          November 5, 2005
          4461 Posts
          Posted: February 1, 2007, 7:39 pm - IP Logged

i noticed something and maybe others who started playing online have done it too.before i started playing online and was still buying my tickets at the store i would buy pick 4 tickets then pick 3 and maybe some pick 5.as soon as i started playing pick 4 online i stopped buying all those extra tickets for pick 3 and pick 5 because i stopped playing at the store so there was not as much impulse.Type

That's a good answer and exactly what I was asking when I posted the poll.  I'm the opposite.  I tend to spend more online.  I don't gamble online, but I have puchased products in the middle of the night.  It just takes a "click."  In the supermarket I'll pick up a candy bar and stare at it and then put it back.  There should be some kind of 24 hour internet law that covers buyer's remorse. LOL

Tennessee
            United States
            Member #7853
            October 15, 2004
            11338 Posts
            Posted: February 1, 2007, 8:09 pm - IP Logged

i just got into the habit of going on amazon and buying used cd's and books.i know what you mean.i got to quit clicking on there so much.its like wal-mart but its online and so easy and tempting and they always have great bargains..

Wandering Aimlessly
              United States
              Member #25360
              November 5, 2005
              4461 Posts
              Posted: February 1, 2007, 8:23 pm - IP Logged

i just got into the habit of going on amazon and buying used cd's and books.i know what you mean.i got to quit clicking on there so much.its like wal-mart but its online and so easy and tempting and they always have great bargains..

What about the Dollar Store?  There is only one I go to because it has so many nice things.  I needed light bulbs the other day and Albertson's had a sale for $4.99.  Next door is the Dollar Store I mentioned.  They had GE Soft White for $1 (4-pack)  Same with the Plus White toothpaste they sell at Walgreen's.  I made up an expression once I call "the dollar store syndrome" because I've worked in sales so much. I relate it to salespeople adding riders to policies or finance managers selling extras when you buy a car that only add a few bucks to the monthly payment.  When something is only a dollar or 2,  it is so much easier to say "okay."

Roslindale, MA
                United States
                Member #5377
                July 1, 2004
                135 Posts
                Posted: February 1, 2007, 8:25 pm - IP Logged

Sometimes, but usually for me it goes the other way (i.e. I'm more likely to change my mind and buy fewer tickets than planned than buy more).

Tennessee
                  United States
                  Member #7853
                  October 15, 2004
                  11338 Posts
                  Posted: February 16, 2007, 1:28 am - IP Logged

What about the Dollar Store?  There is only one I go to because it has so many nice things.  I needed light bulbs the other day and Albertson's had a sale for $4.99.  Next door is the Dollar Store I mentioned.  They had GE Soft White for $1 (4-pack)  Same with the Plus White toothpaste they sell at Walgreen's.  I made up an expression once I call "the dollar store syndrome" because I've worked in sales so much. I relate it to salespeople adding riders to policies or finance managers selling extras when you buy a car that only add a few bucks to the monthly payment.  When something is only a dollar or 2,  it is so much easier to say "okay."

i like the dollar store too.no reason to pay 4 dollars for something you can get for a dollar at a discount store.in fact i did buy a few things the other day.you do save......

guesser's avatar - Lottery-017.jpg

United States
                    Member #41383
                    June 16, 2006
                    1969 Posts
                    Posted: February 16, 2007, 2:33 am - IP Logged

Spend more on what ?

Lottery ?  Nope.

Anything else ?  

Probably, like chocolate or beer...