Welcome Guest
You last visited December 3, 2016, 10:50 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

advice on a new computer

Topic closed. 38 replies. Last post 10 years ago by amsoly41.

Page 1 of 3
PrintE-mailLink
LOTTOMIKE's avatar - cash money.jpg
Tennessee
United States
Member #7853
October 15, 2004
11338 Posts
Posted: February 6, 2007, 10:19 am - IP Logged

i need to buy a new computer.want to keep the cost between 400-700 dollars if possible.would like one with cd/dvd burner.do the new ones come with windows vista? does anyone have any suggestions?

Central, Florida
    United States
    Member #4202
    March 30, 2004
    38 Posts
    Posted: February 6, 2007, 3:56 pm - IP Logged

i need to buy a new computer.want to keep the cost between 400-700 dollars if possible.would like one with cd/dvd burner.do the new ones come with windows vista? does anyone have any suggestions?

I just went to Office Depot with a friend. He bought an HP Pavillion Desktop Model A1510 Y. Listed in Sunday's Office Depot flyer. Comes with Vista, a CD/DVD writer, and a combination printer/scanner. Total price is $499, after $230 in HP rebates. It must be ordered in store. Shipping is an additional $49---10 to 14 days. Plus Sales Tax if any, in your state.

He added a memory card reader to the tower for an additional $10. Other options can be added.

HP or Dell's website can not come anywhere close to this deal.

konane's avatar - wallace
      Atlanta, GA
      United States
      Member #1265
      March 13, 2003
      3333 Posts
      Posted: February 6, 2007, 4:02 pm - IP Logged

Make sure you get one that has at least 1024mb of RAM-type memory, or have memory sticks added to that amount because that's supposed to be the minimum for running Vista.  Believe I read that in one of Kim Komando's newsletters.

Good luck to everyone!

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
        Wandering Aimlessly
        United States
        Member #25360
        November 5, 2005
        4461 Posts
        Posted: February 6, 2007, 7:13 pm - IP Logged

Both members have good suggestions.  I once asked a similar question on a Tech Board and got many different responses.  I'm not very technical, so it was interesting, but I did my homework and had to decide what was good for me by using Google and reading reviews. I mean, let's say you are in the market for a car and you ask the same question.  People who care about the horsepower/torque ratio will give you a different answer than people who just want basic transportation.  A family person might tell you to get an SUV or a minivan.  Someone who likes a pickup for carrying stuff or tows a boat...well you get what I'm saying. 

The only suggestion I will give you initially is to get a desktop and monitor, not a laptop.  This is just my very humble opinion based on my experience owning both.  I'm positive thousands of people will disagree with me for a number of reasons.   I am currently using a Toshiba Satellite.  It's just fine, but you get much more bang for your buck with a desktop.  I realize you can always add another keyboard, mouse, speakers, more USB ports, etc. to a laptop, but if you always use your computer in the house and rarely move it, that's my suggestion, since you want to stay within a budget.

Regarding Vista, I've been helping my sister pick out a computer and all the models I've looked at have at least Vista Home Basic.   

RE: RAM memory.  I agree with Konane, especially since most PCs have shared video and that can use up a lot of RAM, but I wouldn't pass up a great deal if memory was the only drawback.  My laptop was $899 by itself when I bought it Aug 05 during a Back To School sale for $499 (after a ton of rebates) with a free D-Link router, a free Icon carrying case and a free Canon Pixma printer.  I was able to run XP, SP2 with 256MB, but I immediately ordered 512MB from Crucial.com. Highly recommend this company.

If I were to go out today and buy a new desktop and I had a $500-$600 price range in mind, this might be what I'd get currently on sale on CircuitCity.com for $549. You can add a 17" LCD monitor and a printer for another $70 bucks! (total of $619)  There are 2 packages if you decide to go to this site. One is for a CRT monitor, which I would never buy, esp when you can get a 17" LCD for less than $100.  (when I order something online, I usually pick it up at the store anyway)

HP Pavilion Desktop PC HP A1700N

• AMD Athlon 64 X2  3800+
        • 250GB hard drive
        • LightScribe-enabled
        • 1GB of DDR2 memory
        • Burns DVDs and CDs
        • Windows Vista Home Premium

Just one more thing.  Assume from prior posts that you have some technical knowledge, probably more than I do, but I always like to help people when I've made mistakes.  When I bought my laptop I didn't realize that most printers do not come with the cables any more.  So of course I didn't want to wait and drove to Office Max up the road and spent around $29 for a USB cable.  I've seen them online for a few bucks. Amazon has Belkin cables for around $8.  You might already have them, but I thought I'd mention it.

NASHVILLE, TENN
          United States
          Member #33372
          February 20, 2006
          1044 Posts
          Posted: February 6, 2007, 7:49 pm - IP Logged

I will be purchasing a new computer also.  I am looking at E-machines.  They have  a model priced at $400.  The processor speed is 3.3 GHz.  Speed is what I need most.

http://www.emachines.com/products/catalog.html?type=desktops

Check out these models.  I believe one of them is what you require.

I have been using E-Machines for several years now and I am pleased with their tech support and the reliability of their computers.

emilyg's avatar - cat anm.gif

United States
            Member #14
            November 9, 2001
            31342 Posts
            Posted: February 6, 2007, 9:59 pm - IP Logged

I will be purchasing a new computer also.  I am looking at E-machines.  They have  a model priced at $400.  The processor speed is 3.3 GHz.  Speed is what I need most.

http://www.emachines.com/products/catalog.html?type=desktops

Check out these models.  I believe one of them is what you require.

I have been using E-Machines for several years now and I am pleased with their tech support and the reliability of their computers.

same here - excellent.

love to nibble those micey feet.

SirMetro's avatar - center
              East of Atlanta
              United States
              Member #6191
              August 11, 2004
              1389 Posts
              Posted: February 6, 2007, 10:51 pm - IP Logged

And to throw my $0.02 cents worth in. I personally have a PowerSpec system, 3.3 Ghz with 500 meg Ram, sizable hard drive and cd/dvd burner and windows XP Home that I bought for $350 just a couple of months ago. Just today, I noticed the same machine current on sale at http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0252581 for $299 with Vista Home preloaded.

Amazing part is that VISTA Home is $199 and for $100 more, you get a computer that is 3.3 Ghtz...how cool is that now? (BTW...a half gig of ram runs about $50)

One final note, I have been doing business with this store (Marietta GA location) for over 10 years now and have never been disappointed with either the quality of service of the Employees there or the products I have purchased there.

kif1's avatar - Trek FEDSYM30.gif
                Milledgeville
                United States
                Member #47317
                October 30, 2006
                15 Posts
                Posted: February 6, 2007, 11:06 pm - IP Logged

Check out Dell, they have a new one with vista.

Honduras
                  Member #20982
                  August 29, 2005
                  4715 Posts
                  Posted: February 6, 2007, 11:23 pm - IP Logged

if i was to get one it will be Emachines....

guesser's avatar - Lottery-017.jpg

United States
                    Member #41383
                    June 16, 2006
                    1969 Posts
                    Posted: February 7, 2007, 12:32 am - IP Logged

It depends on what you want to do with it.

If you just want to do Office stuff and search the web, anything will do.

If you want to play video-intensive games, then you need a great video card and lots of ram.... 

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
                      Wandering Aimlessly
                      United States
                      Member #25360
                      November 5, 2005
                      4461 Posts
                      Posted: February 7, 2007, 1:13 am - IP Logged

It depends on what you want to do with it.

If you just want to do Office stuff and search the web, anything will do.

If you want to play video-intensive games, then you need a great video card and lots of ram.... 

I guess that's what I was trying to say, but you put it more succinctly.  When I bought a pc almost 10 years ago, everyone told me a Celeron processor was a piece of junk.  I never had any problems with it.  It still works...just obsolete.

LOTTOMIKE's avatar - cash money.jpg
                        Tennessee
                        United States
                        Member #7853
                        October 15, 2004
                        11338 Posts
                        Posted: February 7, 2007, 7:06 am - IP Logged

thanks everyone....

trying to decide between an hp that was listed here or the e-machine.what is the difference between the two?

amsoly41's avatar - ron paul_gold_standard.jpg
                          Tennessee
                          United States
                          Member #24912
                          October 29, 2005
                          94 Posts
                          Posted: February 7, 2007, 8:58 am - IP Logged

Make sure what ever system you buy that it has a way to make a OEM install or recovery disks.

Some of the new computers will not allow you to burn a OS or Recovery disks.

They will only allow you to backup on the internal hard drive. that is fine as long as your hard drive 

does not crash.

You may won't to do some research on this before you buy.

Patriot

amsoly41's avatar - ron paul_gold_standard.jpg
                            Tennessee
                            United States
                            Member #24912
                            October 29, 2005
                            94 Posts
                            Posted: February 7, 2007, 9:20 am - IP Logged

Most of the news systems do not come with recovery disks or the OS disk (vista or XP)

Money can't buy you happiness... but it does bring you a more pleasant form of misery Wink

Rick G's avatar - avatar 1766.jpg
                              FEMA Region V Camp #21
                              United States
                              Member #520
                              July 27, 2002
                              5699 Posts
                              Posted: February 7, 2007, 10:21 am - IP Logged

Count me in with the emachines crowd. 

Posted 4/6:  IL Pick 3 midday and evening until they hit:  555, 347 (str8).