Welcome Guest
You last visited December 4, 2016, 1:02 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

remember the ex-con that got LUCKY in playing the powerball.

Topic closed. 10 replies. Last post 10 years ago by csfb.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
awwcrap's avatar - moon
ky
United States
Member #37768
April 19, 2006
90 Posts
Posted: February 7, 2007, 7:52 pm - IP Logged
    Guru101's avatar - rw6jhh
    Indiana
    United States
    Member #48725
    January 7, 2007
    1953 Posts
    Posted: February 7, 2007, 7:55 pm - IP Logged

Serves him right.

Honduras
      Member #20982
      August 29, 2005
      4715 Posts
      Posted: February 7, 2007, 9:46 pm - IP Logged

what a waste of money...His mistake was buying a 1.2 million dollar house...Buy a 1.2 million dollar house if you have 80 million...That's how i will do it..

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
        Wandering Aimlessly
        United States
        Member #25360
        November 5, 2005
        4461 Posts
        Posted: February 7, 2007, 11:58 pm - IP Logged

what a waste of money...His mistake was buying a 1.2 million dollar house...Buy a 1.2 million dollar house if you have 80 million...That's how i will do it..

I disagree.  He just didn't manage his money. If he had invested his money properly, buying a $1.2M home in 2001 would have actually been a very good investment.  A home in Palm Beach County in 2001 would have doubled (or even tripled) in value by 2005.  Remember, his lump sum payment was $41 million.  That's a huge chunk of change. After taxes he had plenty of money to buy a couple of very nice homes and live comfortably for the rest of his life.  I don't want a big home (I don't even like them) but these days $1.2M isn't really that much in many areas.

Honduras
          Member #20982
          August 29, 2005
          4715 Posts
          Posted: February 8, 2007, 12:03 am - IP Logged

he couldn't sell one of his 18 cars and pay for the houses?What difference does it make if i had 18 or if i had 17 or 11 for that matter...I still going to have a lot...One thing i will do with that money is pay a calculus professor to teach me calculus and trigonometry and geometry...

Well, i made a mistake with the number 2 most beautiful women i've seen in my life...She was from Santiago de Chile..To make it short, i told her something obsene and since that day she didn't want to speak to me again..I felt so stupid...I did the same thing with the number 1 most beautiful women in seen in my life named Laura Simpson except that i didn't tell her something obscene but i told her something stupid (insulting actually) several times (i was just getting to know both women)..Now is been 4 years since the third and last time i saw Laura Simpson and 1 1/2 years since the fourth and last time i saw Paola Sobado from Santiago, Chile...Everyone ones has a different concept of beauty. More likely the most beautiful women you seen in your life is 99% not all that to me (everyone is different), and only God knows that it will take me like 10 years to  see somebody that beautiful again...Women that beautiful come like once every 10 years...What i am trying to say is that with both women i blew it, and it feels like wasting a lot of money...I don't think i am ever going to see either woman again...And guys what i wanted from both women was the picture/photos, i would have been very happy with their photos/pictures...I have to admit, you get to know someone like Laura Simpson every 20 years or once in a lifetime....What i did with Laura Simpson is like blowing away 1 million dollars...Both girls was like my 5th time talking to them...

"More important than winning all the states' lotteries is the movie "Red Planet.."  ...."

San Diego
            United States
            Member #49197
            January 23, 2007
            18 Posts
            Posted: February 8, 2007, 12:28 am - IP Logged

I don't think the article was written very well. I don't know what message they were trying to send.

Okay, so the guy pissed away all of his money. It doesn't sound like he had any regrets.

He donated thousands of dollars to a home for abused children, the local fire department, and for playground equipment. At least he shared a little bit of his fortune with the community.

They auctioned off his house to settle an $8,000 debt? Seems a bit harsh.

guesser's avatar - Lottery-017.jpg

United States
              Member #41383
              June 16, 2006
              1969 Posts
              Posted: February 8, 2007, 12:30 am - IP Logged

This guy was on that TV show 2 months ago.........

This is why I say you always put away enough to live on the rest of your life in a place you can't get to it, like CD's that come due in increments of 5 or 10 years....... 

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
                Wandering Aimlessly
                United States
                Member #25360
                November 5, 2005
                4461 Posts
                Posted: February 8, 2007, 12:32 am - IP Logged

I don't think the article was written very well. I don't know what message they were trying to send.

Okay, so the guy pissed away all of his money. It doesn't sound like he had any regrets.

He donated thousands of dollars to a home for abused children, the local fire department, and for playground equipment. At least he shared a little bit of his fortune with the community.

They auctioned off his house to settle an $8,000 debt? Seems a bit harsh.

Agree a lot of info is missing.  If his home was auctioned off, it still has to be worth over $2 million.  Something is wrong.  There was another story about this man posted here a few months ago.  I think he just went a little crazy buying lots of cars and spending the money.  However, I still don't know how anyone can go through that kind of money in only a few years.

NY
                  United States
                  Member #23835
                  October 16, 2005
                  3474 Posts
                  Posted: February 8, 2007, 12:53 am - IP Logged

"They auctioned off his house to settle an $8,000 debt? Seems a bit harsh."

The debt was to the homeowner's association, and it's entirely possible that there was an agreement that the home was the collateral for any unpaid debts to the homeowner's association. Other assets could have been moved or hidden, but he couldn't do much to  keep the house away from his creditors.  Whatever's left over after the debt, legal fees and other expenses are paid will still belong to him. Assuming he still has other assets he was always free to settle the debt without having the house auctioned off, so that would make losing the house his own choice. There's nothing harsh about that.

rundown99's avatar - cigar

United States
                    Member #567
                    August 14, 2002
                    482 Posts
                    Posted: February 26, 2007, 11:24 am - IP Logged

And just think.......

Kentucky is just south of Ohio...... He should have gone to Ohio and tried to win the lottery there to become ANONYMOUS......

Smart lottery winners form trust to claim their winnings.  They send an attorney to the lottery headquarters to claim the prize in trust, so that ONLY the name of the trust is revealed.  And they tell NO ONE, especially relatives.

If you ever win a lottery and you are single, the only person you should ever marry is someone who was truly in love with you BEFORE you won the jackpot!

csfb's avatar - Lottery-001.jpg

United States
                      Member #15309
                      May 13, 2005
                      307 Posts
                      Posted: February 26, 2007, 10:51 pm - IP Logged

Your Homeowners Association can put a lien on your property for failure to pay association dues.  Since this property was bought in cash, perhaps the only lien on the property was the unpaid HOA dues, a mere $8,000.00 including penalties and other charges - perhaps 5 or 6 months or so in arrears.  As a lienholder the HOA can foreclose on the property.

Poor self-destructive fellow -  he can't handle success even if it was handed to him in a silver platter.

Sun Smiley