Welcome Guest
You last visited December 4, 2016, 3:15 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Good Fortune/Bad Fortune

Topic closed. 7 replies. Last post 10 years ago by justxploring.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink

United States
Member #47693
November 19, 2006
7 Posts
Posted: February 8, 2007, 1:46 am - IP Logged

I have a question for the list:  We hear many bad stories about what happens to folks who win *fast* money and who either lose it just as fast or whose life becomes worse for the win.  What stories, if any, does any one have for those unsung few who put the money to good use and did something positive with it?  -- Freewheeling Mama!

tntea's avatar - Lottery-059.jpg

United States
    Member #5344
    June 30, 2004
    23641 Posts
    Posted: February 10, 2007, 12:04 pm - IP Logged

Those people are the ones who keep  a low profile.

OLD/Vtrac   Lottery Bible         Double Warnings      Thumbs Up TN F34/F44

emilyg's avatar - cat anm.gif

United States
      Member #14
      November 9, 2001
      31343 Posts
      Posted: February 10, 2007, 12:49 pm - IP Logged

Those people are the ones who keep  a low profile.

I Agree!

love to nibble those micey feet.

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
        Wandering Aimlessly
        United States
        Member #25360
        November 5, 2005
        4461 Posts
        Posted: February 10, 2007, 1:04 pm - IP Logged

I have a question for the list:  We hear many bad stories about what happens to folks who win *fast* money and who either lose it just as fast or whose life becomes worse for the win.  What stories, if any, does any one have for those unsung few who put the money to good use and did something positive with it?  -- Freewheeling Mama!

Actually, Jack Whittaker spent quite a bit of money helping people and contributing to the needy.  Yes, his life became a series of unfortunate events and he claims to be broke, but you can't always separate the 2.

The Florida website (in the winner's section) has a story about a woman who did a lot of good with her money.  The follow-up story I read in the paper when she died said people were stalking her, so I agree with the above comments about keeping a low profile. 

tiggs95's avatar - Lottery-036.jpg

United States
          Member #47420
          November 4, 2006
          3930 Posts
          Posted: February 10, 2007, 1:30 pm - IP Logged

I was living in Fla when the woman won all that money in the Fla lottery...She had to..She was stalked and harassed so bad she had to give the money away..I think she was in her late 60's when she won and diden't want to move away from her home and friend's so she gave most of the money to charitie's..

Elizabeth03's avatar - cat anm.gif
            Nova Scotia
            Canada
            Member #9934
            December 27, 2004
            884 Posts
            Posted: February 10, 2007, 3:18 pm - IP Logged

If I won a large amount of money. I wouldn't stay in the neighborhood I live in. I don't like it enough for that... People would be harassing you for money constantly... It's not worth your peace of mind. I'd move as soon as I was able to  gladly!.

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
              Zeta Reticuli Star System
              United States
              Member #30470
              January 17, 2006
              10345 Posts
              Posted: February 10, 2007, 6:01 pm - IP Logged

Not only do the 'good guys' (and gals) keep a low profile but they're probably not really 'news', either.  

"Lotto winner donates to charity" doesn't really 'sell papers', "Largest jackpot winner ever goes bankrupt" does.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
                Wandering Aimlessly
                United States
                Member #25360
                November 5, 2005
                4461 Posts
                Posted: February 10, 2007, 9:42 pm - IP Logged

I was living in Fla when the woman won all that money in the Fla lottery...She had to..She was stalked and harassed so bad she had to give the money away..I think she was in her late 60's when she won and diden't want to move away from her home and friend's so she gave most of the money to charitie's..

I only know that she died just a few years after she won the jackpot and I believe at that time it was an annuity only game, but I'm not 100% positive.

I can understand why a person who lives alone and has been part of a community would want to stay where she is, but fame and fortune are often followed by misery, so I would move BEFORE I claimed the money.