Welcome Guest
You last visited January 22, 2017, 12:47 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Texas compared to Florida

Topic closed. 11 replies. Last post 10 years ago by CASH Only.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
s5thomps's avatar - Lottery-033.jpg
Hard Luck, Ak
United States
Member #23472
October 13, 2005
279 Posts
Posted: February 8, 2007, 8:59 am - IP Logged

As anyone noticed that the jackpot in Texas has rolled over 25 times since Nov 15, 2006 and the jackpot is 37 million for Saturday???  Now compare that to Florida which as only rolled over 7 times and the jackpot is 42 million for Saturday.  Also if you look at the 5 of 6 payouts for Wed Feb 7, Texas had 17 winners with a payout of $3,227 while Florida had 127 5/6 winners at $6,185. Not only did Florida have close to 7 1/2 times the winners of the 5/6, but theyalso nearly doubled the payout!!! I know that each state is different, and is probally based on ticket sales. But something just does not seem right. Surely if you compare the jackpots for Feb 7 with Texas at 36 million and Florida 32 million and have then have only 17 winners in Texas than the payout on 5/6 should be significantly higer in Texas than in Florida.  Just does not make sense to me.

BS

"We make a living by what you get, You make a LIFE by what you give!"

Sir Winston ChurchillSun Smiley

twisted's avatar - underground
    New Jersey
    United States
    Member #2376
    September 25, 2003
    582 Posts
    Posted: February 8, 2007, 10:57 am - IP Logged

As anyone noticed that the jackpot in Texas has rolled over 25 times since Nov 15, 2006 and the jackpot is 37 million for Saturday???  Now compare that to Florida which as only rolled over 7 times and the jackpot is 42 million for Saturday.  Also if you look at the 5 of 6 payouts for Wed Feb 7, Texas had 17 winners with a payout of $3,227 while Florida had 127 5/6 winners at $6,185. Not only did Florida have close to 7 1/2 times the winners of the 5/6, but theyalso nearly doubled the payout!!! I know that each state is different, and is probally based on ticket sales. But something just does not seem right. Surely if you compare the jackpots for Feb 7 with Texas at 36 million and Florida 32 million and have then have only 17 winners in Texas than the payout on 5/6 should be significantly higer in Texas than in Florida.  Just does not make sense to me.

BS

I think the reason Lotto Texas doesn't have higher rollovers is Mega Millions.  The players in Texas have a choice between Lotto Texas and Mega Millions(usually a higher jackpot) while in Florida, they only have one choice, Florida Lotto.  Lotto Texas just doesn't have the sales that Florida Lotto has.

Lower sales might also have something to do with players faith in Lotto Texas.  A little while back the Texas Lottery Commission had a little problem with inflating the advertised jackpot which has turned off a lot of players in Texas.

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
      Wandering Aimlessly
      United States
      Member #25360
      November 5, 2005
      4461 Posts
      Posted: February 8, 2007, 12:06 pm - IP Logged

That's a good analysis, Twisted.  Another thread asks what we think the best state lottery is.  I chose "other" because Florida doesn't have PB or MM and also that it doesn't matter as long as I win. LOL   Apparently Florida has better payoffs because their 6/53 Lotto is the only jackpot game over $2 million available within the state, and I'm assuming that's why Governor Bush kept it out and probably Governor Crist will do the same.

s5thomps, thanks for pointing that out.  (as of last night Florida's jackpot is $42 million!)

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
        mid-Ohio
        United States
        Member #9
        March 24, 2001
        19901 Posts
        Posted: February 8, 2007, 12:29 pm - IP Logged

While the PB and MM states get to advertise a larger jackpot it has to hurt when the larger states such as California, Texas, Ohio and New York have to send 32% of their sales dollars to other States with the jackpot winners, that's 64% of what their profits would have been if it had been an instate game.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

Almorox,Toledo
          Spain
          Member #49593
          February 7, 2007
          1 Posts
          Posted: February 8, 2007, 4:28 pm - IP Logged

Greeting fron Toledo Spain,I see the Washington State megea ball lottery this week is $91 millions.Also here in Europe the Euro millions is $130 millions.I am playing with a syndicate out of England to play the British national lotto plus the euro millions

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
            mid-Ohio
            United States
            Member #9
            March 24, 2001
            19901 Posts
            Posted: February 8, 2007, 6:06 pm - IP Logged

Greeting fron Toledo Spain,I see the Washington State megea ball lottery this week is $91 millions.Also here in Europe the Euro millions is $130 millions.I am playing with a syndicate out of England to play the British national lotto plus the euro millions

Foreign lottery syndicates don't play well it the states, they are thought of as scams so players prefer to form their own pools among people they know and trust.  FYI, the MegaMillions is a multi-state lottery game and Washington is just one of twelve states that have the game.  Good  luck to you.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

LOTTOMIKE's avatar - Lottery-063.jpg
              Tennessee
              United States
              Member #7853
              October 15, 2004
              11338 Posts
              Posted: February 13, 2007, 7:20 am - IP Logged

wonder if florida will eventually get powerball?

Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
                Chief Bottle Washer
                New Jersey
                United States
                Member #1
                May 31, 2000
                23349 Posts
                Posted: February 13, 2007, 8:15 am - IP Logged

<Moved to Jackpot Games forum>

Please post in the appropriate forum ... thank you.

Greenwich, CT
                  United States
                  Member #4793
                  May 24, 2004
                  1822 Posts
                  Posted: February 14, 2007, 4:02 pm - IP Logged

In response to the match 5 of 6, second-tier prizes question:

Florida pays out 12.3% of prize money to 2nd place.  Texas pays out just 2.23%.  This explains the wildly different amounts for second place.

Each state makes its own decision as to what percentage of the prize pool to allocate to each winning level.

s5thomps's avatar - Lottery-033.jpg
                    Hard Luck, Ak
                    United States
                    Member #23472
                    October 13, 2005
                    279 Posts
                    Posted: February 16, 2007, 4:02 am - IP Logged

In response to the match 5 of 6, second-tier prizes question:

Florida pays out 12.3% of prize money to 2nd place.  Texas pays out just 2.23%.  This explains the wildly different amounts for second place.

Each state makes its own decision as to what percentage of the prize pool to allocate to each winning level.

Thanks for the info!Smile

Greenwich, CT
                      United States
                      Member #4793
                      May 24, 2004
                      1822 Posts
                      Posted: February 16, 2007, 9:21 am - IP Logged

You're welcome.  I had no idea that the payout percentages were so different until I researched it on each states web page.

I feel lucky to live in CT, where the lower-tier payouts are strong.  I couldn't imagine hitting 5 of 6 in Texas' Lotto and winning the same $2,000 that I could win here with 5/6 on CT's Lotto (CT's 5/6 payout actually averages around $2700), a prize that's 3x easier to win! 

United States
                        Member #379
                        June 5, 2002
                        11296 Posts
                        Posted: February 16, 2007, 9:53 am - IP Logged

You're welcome.  I had no idea that the payout percentages were so different until I researched it on each states web page.

I feel lucky to live in CT, where the lower-tier payouts are strong.  I couldn't imagine hitting 5 of 6 in Texas' Lotto and winning the same $2,000 that I could win here with 5/6 on CT's Lotto (CT's 5/6 payout actually averages around $2700), a prize that's 3x easier to win! 

You should feel lucky your in-state game is Connecticut Classic Lotto (although CT should still pursue MUSL Hot Lotto) instead of NY Blotto. What Connecticut needs now is video lottery (I go to Monticello, NY to play video poker,) but who knows if it will ever happen with Foxwoods and Mohegan Sun. The Connecticut Lottery also could use keno; CT is surrounded by lottery keno states.