Welcome Guest
You last visited December 9, 2016, 2:19 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

$3.5m CT ticket to expire

Topic closed. 10 replies. Last post 10 years ago by Just6ntlc.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink

United States
Member #379
June 5, 2002
11296 Posts
Posted: February 13, 2007, 1:16 pm - IP Logged

A Connecticut Classic Lotto jackpot winner won't get any money if the ticket is not claimed by this week's one-year anniversary.

IIRC the last time a Connecticut Lotto jackpot winner forfeited the prize for this reason happened at least 10 years ago, in the annuity-only era. The Connecticut Lotto jackpot usually started at $1 million (same as now,) but there were several jackpots that started at $2 million, using the unclaimed jackpot.

I don't know if Connecticut would do the same now. I would like to see the entire cash value added to one jackpot roll, rather than start several jackpots at $2 million.

Guru101's avatar - rw6jhh
    Indiana
    United States
    Member #48725
    January 7, 2007
    1954 Posts
    Posted: February 13, 2007, 6:08 pm - IP Logged

I have no idea how this type of stuff happens. You buy a lottery ticket you better check it!!

TheGameGrl's avatar - character catafly.jpg
      A long and winding road
      United States
      Member #17084
      June 10, 2005
      4530 Posts
      Posted: February 13, 2007, 9:26 pm - IP Logged

One can speculate various reasons why the ticket wasnt claimed. Its not that the ticket wasnt checked so much as other more life threatening illness's would certainly draw ones priorities to another level of concern. Try chemo sometime and see if you really give a hoot about a million or the ability to see another day. Id trade in a million to spend one more day with the laughter of my grandkid! Life is more then a lottery win....

~~Is it true, Is it kind,Is it necessary. ~~~

christmas holly jolly numbers: 255,303,6911, 474,477 silver:47,gold:79.

Greenwich, CT
        United States
        Member #4793
        May 24, 2004
        1822 Posts
        Posted: February 14, 2007, 12:19 pm - IP Logged

Well, I don't have it stashed anywhere!

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
          Wandering Aimlessly
          United States
          Member #25360
          November 5, 2005
          4461 Posts
          Posted: February 14, 2007, 12:50 pm - IP Logged

I agree with GameGrl to a degree.  We are all different in the way we react to good & bad news. If I thought I had a winning ticket I'd still check it and claim it before I died, so I could leave it to someone in my will.  The man who won a million (see news forum) and found out he has only months to live wishes he didn't have an annuity, but he's still going to be able use the money to go on a vacation and pay medical bills. I think it's sad that he can't collect a lump sum, since he has no family, but I hope he leaves it to a good cause.

Maybe I don't have a heart, but when my Dad only had hours to live (according to the hospital - that was in 2004 and he's been on several cruises since)  I still bought my lottery tickets before I drove 130 miles across the state, and I also checked my numbers when I took a break.  Maybe a loss of a child would be different, because my mind would snap.  Regarding a life threatening illness or surgery - been there/done that.  Bought several advance plays. 

I agree that people don't always just forget, but get tied up in other more important things like critical illness as mentioned.  It's possible some people get into car accidents or even die before the drawing.  I'm guessing the majority of unclaimed tickets are purchased by people who buy quick picks on a whim and forget to check the numbers or misplace the tickets, but there is no way to research this because of the subject matter (i.e., if they don't come forward, we can't ask!)

Greenwich, CT
            United States
            Member #4793
            May 24, 2004
            1822 Posts
            Posted: February 16, 2007, 3:46 pm - IP Logged

CT is still waiting to release the winning location, in case someone mailed in the winning ticket postmarked by 2/14/07.

What will happen to the unclaimed funds?  Straight from the horse's mouth:

"If the jackpot isn't claimed, what will happen with the prize money?

The Lottery has several options:  One, the money can be returned to the State's General Fund, where it is used to support many valuable services and programs.  Two, it can be used to supplement prizes in other lottery games. And, three, it can be used for marketing and promotions initiatives of the CT Lottery. "

Quotation from www.ctlottery.org

United States
              Member #34266
              March 1, 2006
              188 Posts
              Posted: February 16, 2007, 3:57 pm - IP Logged

Someone bought a lottery ticket and died, relatives came cleaned out the house,  never bothering to check the lotto tickets, I can see that happening.

Greenwich, CT
                United States
                Member #4793
                May 24, 2004
                1822 Posts
                Posted: February 16, 2007, 4:05 pm - IP Logged

I hope the money goes back into the prize pool, where it belongs.

United States
                  Member #379
                  June 5, 2002
                  11296 Posts
                  Posted: February 21, 2007, 10:06 am - IP Logged

The ticket was bought at Coventry Getty Mart. The store will still get a $10,000 bonus.

Greenwich, CT
                    United States
                    Member #4793
                    May 24, 2004
                    1822 Posts
                    Posted: February 21, 2007, 10:13 am - IP Logged

Good chance there will be a very disappointed soul or two from Manchester or Storrs, once they look back at the tickets they bought at the Getty Mart.

United States
                      Member #16612
                      June 2, 2005
                      3493 Posts
                      Posted: February 26, 2007, 7:46 pm - IP Logged

If the CT $3.5 million ticket is going to be expired without being step forward, will it go to education just like what happens to all CA tickets?