Welcome Guest
You last visited December 3, 2016, 6:31 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

On the move

Topic closed. 14 replies. Last post 10 years ago by justxploring.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink

Would you travel to another State to play lottery if the odds are better?

Yes [ 10 ]  [41.67%]
No [ 7 ]  [29.17%]
Maybe [ 5 ]  [20.83%]
Never [ 1 ]  [4.17%]
Are you crazy [ 0 ]  [0.00%]
Are you desperate [ 1 ]  [4.17%]
Odds are the same everywhere [ 0 ]  [0.00%]
Total Valid Votes [ 24 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 0 ]  
numbergirly's avatar - 0002009C
Dover, Delaware
United States
Member #26979
November 25, 2005
178 Posts
Posted: February 21, 2007, 12:42 am - IP Logged

I've considered it because, I live in an electronic State and (20) miles away is an old fashion State.

WHEN LIFE GIVES YOU LEMONS   Ice Water 

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
    Zeta Reticuli Star System
    United States
    Member #30470
    January 17, 2006
    10344 Posts
    Posted: February 21, 2007, 12:54 am - IP Logged

I voted maybe....distance should always be considered for these travel to another state to play questions. 

Big difference between somebody in northern Florida, for example, saying they'd go to Georgia to play and asking someone in Miami if they'd go to Georgia to play.  

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

Dover, Delaware
      United States
      Member #26979
      November 25, 2005
      178 Posts
      Posted: February 21, 2007, 12:59 am - IP Logged

Thank you Coin Toss for your reply you have reinforced my decision besides, it's a nice ride out at least once a week. Check out my predictions these numbers are due somewhere soon.

Thanks Again

numbergirly

Lucky Star's avatar - flower2
        Georgia
        United States
        Member #38040
        April 23, 2006
        1643 Posts
        Posted: February 21, 2007, 1:00 am - IP Logged

I voted,  Maybe.

20 miles away and the odds are MUCH better...Yes!!!

Peace.  And, Good Luck!!!

guesser's avatar - Lottery-017.jpg

United States
          Member #41383
          June 16, 2006
          1969 Posts
          Posted: February 21, 2007, 1:06 am - IP Logged

Some folks are misguided on what 'better' odds are.

To ME, there is no difference between 1 in 146 million, and 1 in 73 million, even though the 'odds' are better with the 1 in 73 million....

You are either destined to hit it, or not. 

Dover, Delaware
            United States
            Member #26979
            November 25, 2005
            178 Posts
            Posted: February 21, 2007, 1:11 am - IP Logged

Hi Lucky Star... Thank you for your reply. I've done a little research and compared DE lottery to MD lottery for the past (2) years and the difference is amazing. I believe it's worth a (20) mile trip.

Thanks Again

numbergirly

Dover, Delaware
              United States
              Member #26979
              November 25, 2005
              178 Posts
              Posted: February 21, 2007, 1:15 am - IP Logged

Hi guesser Thank you for your reply.... it's funny you would say that because, my husband feels the same way and most times I believe that also. What's meant for you nothing can stop it right?

Thanks Again

numbergirly

Rochester, NY
                United States
                Member #49960
                February 21, 2007
                7 Posts
                Posted: February 21, 2007, 8:14 am - IP Logged

I've considered it because, I live in an electronic State and (20) miles away is an old fashion State.

I travel a lot sometimes and play the powerball in other states. In NY we have the mega of course.

United States
                  Member #379
                  June 5, 2002
                  11296 Posts
                  Posted: February 21, 2007, 9:53 am - IP Logged

I travel a lot sometimes and play the powerball in other states. In NY we have the mega of course.

I prefer the Connecticut, Pennsylvania, and New Jersey lotteries to NY's. However I enjoy the video poker in Monticello, Sullivan Co. I live closer to Yonkers though.

NY
                    United States
                    Member #23835
                    October 16, 2005
                    3474 Posts
                    Posted: February 23, 2007, 11:18 am - IP Logged

Are you suggesting that your odds are worse simply because the drawing is done electronically?

Guesser is right about people being misguided about what "better" odds are, but I think it's more than just "some" people. In the thread on jackpot fever a lot of people have been saying that the high odds against winning really hurt sales as compared to odds that are somewhat lower, but there are frequent references to driving to other states to buy tickets. A few people have even  talked about driving as much as 3 or 4 hours away to buy tickets. I'll figure that the time doesn't matter, but if you make a trip just to buy tickets every mile you drive adds to the cost of your tickets, and the cost of the tickets is part of the odds.

Even if you drive an inexpensive car that gets good gas mileage it probably costs a minimum of 20 cents for every mile you drive, and that adds to the cost of your tickets. 20 miles isn't very far, but if the trip is only to buy tickets your 40 mile round trip adds $8 or more to what you've spent for the tickets.  If you buy 8 tickets at a dollar each you've doubled the cost of each ticket, and compared to your other options that effectively doubles the odds against winning.  I would guess that people who drive hours each way are buying a lot of tickets, but they may be raising the cost of their tickets to 3 or more times the selling price.

If you've got a game at home with "bad" odds of 175 million to 1 you can improve the odds to 87.5 million to 1 by spending $2 and getting two tickets. If you you drive somewhere else to play a game with odds of 100 million to 1 and end up spending $2 for each ticket your odds were better at home. As near as I can tell, for most people the extra driving may offer them long odds on a better jackpot, but it  probably won't offer them better odds on any jackpot. I agree with guesser's claim that there is no real difference betwen odds of 1 in 150 million and 1 in 75 million. The odds are  simply so high that the actual numbers dont really matter. Either you win or you don't, and you spend what you're comfortable with, whether it's all on tickets or some for tickets and some for wear and tear on your car.

FWIW, there's about one death for every 75 million passenger miles, so if you drive just a single mile to buy one PB ticket you're twice as likely to die driving that mile as you are to win PB. That risk is also a part of the cost of  buying your tickets. If you drive 5 times as far to buy tickets for a game where the odds aren't at least 5 times better then you're increasing your chance of dying on the drive  more than you're increasing your chances of winning. Just like the  odds of winning a jackpot, I'll leave it to everyone to make their own decisions on how much sense it makes to play the game.

CCHS13's avatar - chi jpeg.jpg
                      Illinois
                      United States
                      Member #46704
                      September 23, 2006
                      3692 Posts
                      Posted: February 23, 2007, 1:37 pm - IP Logged

I prefer the Connecticut, Pennsylvania, and New Jersey lotteries to NY's. However I enjoy the video poker in Monticello, Sullivan Co. I live closer to Yonkers though.

Yonkers huh,  home of the LOX.  Among others

Men Lie Women Lie Numbers Dont

dumars798's avatar - batman17
                        Atlanta
                        United States
                        Member #28656
                        December 20, 2005
                        5675 Posts
                        Posted: February 26, 2007, 12:13 am - IP Logged

I would,you never know..might get

lucky n another state!

Smart bets...... Equal Phat Pocket$!

guesser's avatar - Lottery-017.jpg

United States
                          Member #41383
                          June 16, 2006
                          1969 Posts
                          Posted: March 3, 2007, 2:41 pm - IP Logged

Hi Lucky Star... Thank you for your reply. I've done a little research and compared DE lottery to MD lottery for the past (2) years and the difference is amazing. I believe it's worth a (20) mile trip.

Thanks Again

numbergirly

You should enlighten us with the 'amazing differences'.

tnlotto1's avatar - logo
                            nashville
                            United States
                            Member #49896
                            February 18, 2007
                            1181 Posts
                            Posted: March 3, 2007, 4:25 pm - IP Logged

i live in a powerball state and georgia and illinois are the closest megamillions states to me so i would have to drive over 100 miles to get megamillions tickets but of course if i won it would have been worth it.

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
                              Wandering Aimlessly
                              United States
                              Member #25360
                              November 5, 2005
                              4461 Posts
                              Posted: March 3, 2007, 5:17 pm - IP Logged

Some folks are misguided on what 'better' odds are.

To ME, there is no difference between 1 in 146 million, and 1 in 73 million, even though the 'odds' are better with the 1 in 73 million....

You are either destined to hit it, or not. 

I agree with this statement.  Of course 1 in 146M isn't the same as 1 in 74M, but tome it's like saying "would you like to go to Pluto or Neptune today?" 

I also agree with Coin Toss.  When I lived in NH I was a few miles from the MA border and often played MA games. However, it really had nothing to do with the odds.  I lived in MA most of my life and wanted to keep playing the same games. But it would be crazy for me to drive to GA or SC.   Don't you think that if someone is going to spend more than $75 on gas/tolls to travel, it makes more sense to just buy 75 more tickets in your own town? Actually, I think $50 on more tickets, a nice meal out and a bottle of wine is even better!