Welcome Guest
You last visited January 19, 2017, 2:04 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

The Anonymous Claimant POLL

Topic closed. 12 replies. Last post 10 years ago by CA LotteryGuy.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink

Would you wait to go to an anonymous state to buy a lot of tickets?

YES. I only want to be anonymous ONLY. [ 5 ]  [13.89%]
NO. I would rather play every drawing to win. [ 31 ]  [86.11%]
Total Valid Votes [ 36 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 4 ]  
rundown99's avatar - cigar

United States
Member #567
August 14, 2002
485 Posts
Posted: February 21, 2007, 12:04 pm - IP Logged

Would you save your money and buy a large number of tickets to play in a state that allows lottery winners to remain anonymous?  Read the following article before making your decision.

http://www.rotten.com/library/culture/lottery-winners/

Smart lottery winners form trust to claim their winnings.  They send an attorney to the lottery headquarters to claim the prize in trust, so that ONLY the name of the trust is revealed.  And they tell NO ONE, especially relatives.

If you ever win a lottery and you are single, the only person you should ever marry is someone who was truly in love with you BEFORE you won the jackpot!

OldSchoolPa's avatar - Lottery-057.jpg
    Gurnee, Illinois
    United States
    Member #49731
    February 12, 2007
    919 Posts
    Posted: February 21, 2007, 1:31 pm - IP Logged

I would say that many of these people's problems came about as a result of previously developed character flaws...the fact that they got lucky and came into large amounts of cash via the lottery only served to make them fodder for news reports.  People of all backgrounds make both good and bad decisions.  It doesn't matter if your working class, middle class, upper class, rich, successful business person, or a celebrity/athlete.  Sure, claiming a prize in anonymity will relieve a person of some of the common pitfalls that befall some lottery winners, but it won't shield or protect you from making subsequent bone headed decisions...like entering into a business arrangement without proper due diligience and consultation...or partying and spending like their will be no tomorrow.  Sure, I wouldn't tell anyone that I won...it's none of their business.  But I wouldn't trust anyone to manage my lottery winnings in a blind trust...a true blind trust removes you from controlling it.  Perhaps lawyers recommend this to unastute lottery winners...you fill in the blanks if you know what I'm inferring.

Get MONEY!!! Winning a JACKPOT lottery is all the HOPE and CHANGE I desire!!!  NOW give me MONEY!US Flag

The guy who won the presidency in 2008 really won the lottery...he is now millions richer, travels in first class style, and even has a staff that would be the envy of the richest Powerball winner (she has a staff of 2). Every night he goes to sleep, he probably plays the close of Dave Chappelle's Show: I'm rich beyatch!

rundown99's avatar - cigar

United States
      Member #567
      August 14, 2002
      485 Posts
      Posted: February 21, 2007, 2:12 pm - IP Logged

I would say that many of these people's problems came about as a result of previously developed character flaws...the fact that they got lucky and came into large amounts of cash via the lottery only served to make them fodder for news reports.  People of all backgrounds make both good and bad decisions.  It doesn't matter if your working class, middle class, upper class, rich, successful business person, or a celebrity/athlete.  Sure, claiming a prize in anonymity will relieve a person of some of the common pitfalls that befall some lottery winners, but it won't shield or protect you from making subsequent bone headed decisions...like entering into a business arrangement without proper due diligience and consultation...or partying and spending like their will be no tomorrow.  Sure, I wouldn't tell anyone that I won...it's none of their business.  But I wouldn't trust anyone to manage my lottery winnings in a blind trust...a true blind trust removes you from controlling it.  Perhaps lawyers recommend this to unastute lottery winners...you fill in the blanks if you know what I'm inferring.

You made a good point about the blind trust.  The lawyer, who is the claimant in such a situation, would be in control and not you.  Money does create problems, whether the money is from lottery winnings, inheritance, or even in the entertainment biz.  Each person has his/her flaw.  That is what makes us human.  But it is up to the person to solve the problems.

Smart lottery winners form trust to claim their winnings.  They send an attorney to the lottery headquarters to claim the prize in trust, so that ONLY the name of the trust is revealed.  And they tell NO ONE, especially relatives.

If you ever win a lottery and you are single, the only person you should ever marry is someone who was truly in love with you BEFORE you won the jackpot!

Guru101's avatar - rw6jhh
        Indiana
        United States
        Member #48725
        January 7, 2007
        1958 Posts
        Posted: February 21, 2007, 5:41 pm - IP Logged

"Anonymous" in the lottery isn't really anonymous. Just because the lottery doesn't give out the information doesn't mean that a lot of people won't find out, especially the people you know. Whatever it may be, a new house, a new car, etc, the people you know will find out that your financial situation has changed big time. So really, it's not anonymous.Wink

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
          Wandering Aimlessly
          United States
          Member #25360
          November 5, 2005
          4461 Posts
          Posted: February 21, 2007, 7:31 pm - IP Logged

"Take a trip to a 24-hour Kinko's around 2am when nobody's around" 

If you don't already own an all-in-one printer, they're pretty inexpensive. You don't even have to leave home, just order a throw-away Lexmark online for around $29 or $39. Walmart has a nice HP for $44.88. You can always give it away later. After all, you just won the lottery!  Why leave the house with your ticket, which can get lost, and drive down to a place in the middle of the night to make copies?  To me, that's just plain stupid.  How many times have you left the original in the copier at work?

If you live on a border state, I'd say why not. Otherwise, I think it's crazy for anyone to drive 500 miles out of his way to buy some tickets that probably won't win anyway. You'll always have a better shot taking the extra gasoline money and buying more tickets locally.

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
            Zeta Reticuli Star System
            United States
            Member #30470
            January 17, 2006
            10390 Posts
            Posted: February 21, 2007, 7:47 pm - IP Logged

As for the poll question about going to an anonymous state as oppossed to playing in your own state, I discarded vote. Here's why - I call it "Slim Fast syndrome" - here's what I mean....someone goes and buys cans of Slim Fast with the intent of substituting the Slim Fast for a meal. A few days later they're eating like they always have, with the addittion of a can or two of Slim Fast every day. hat was intended to cut down on calories now is itself more calories!

Just substitute lotto.

"Well, I figured if I went to _ _ _ _ _ and just played advance play, that would be it, you know? But wouldn't you know it, the jackpot in our state now is $ _ _ _ _ _ __ _ _ , and well, might as well take a shot at that, too..."

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

TheGameGrl's avatar - character catafly.jpg
              A long and winding road
              United States
              Member #17084
              June 10, 2005
              4575 Posts
              Posted: February 21, 2007, 7:47 pm - IP Logged

My priority in playing is not whether anonymity is offered but whether the prize is offered at a level that allows me to do well in this lifetime.

~~Is it true, Is it kind,Is it necessary. ~~~

pa:888,4445,6132,4444,8008

guesser's avatar - Lottery-017.jpg

United States
                Member #41383
                June 16, 2006
                1969 Posts
                Posted: February 22, 2007, 2:17 pm - IP Logged

You have like a 260-times greater risk of getting killed in an auto accident on the way to and from another state than you actually do winning the lottery.

NO. 

dvdiva's avatar - 8ball

United States
                  Member #2338
                  September 17, 2003
                  2063 Posts
                  Posted: February 26, 2007, 10:26 pm - IP Logged

The only reason why someone should have a blind trust is if they are a politician and don't want the appearance of impropriety. Otherwise you don't need a blind trust.

Personally I think if I won enough it would be in an offshore trust. Only state I play in that doesn't offer the ability to have a trust is Oregon and I'd probably sue for the right to claim the prize as I wish since it's (after I win of course) my money. 

California
                    United States
                    Member #46824
                    October 1, 2006
                    270 Posts
                    Posted: March 3, 2007, 3:10 pm - IP Logged

The only reason why someone should have a blind trust is if they are a politician and don't want the appearance of impropriety. Otherwise you don't need a blind trust.

Personally I think if I won enough it would be in an offshore trust. Only state I play in that doesn't offer the ability to have a trust is Oregon and I'd probably sue for the right to claim the prize as I wish since it's (after I win of course) my money. 

dvdiva....sue all you want once you won.  You are playing a game based upon the rules of the lottery which are approved by the state.  As long as the lottery enforces these rules equally, you have no chance of winning your case unless you can persuade someone to change the rules.

guesser's avatar - Lottery-017.jpg

United States
                      Member #41383
                      June 16, 2006
                      1969 Posts
                      Posted: March 3, 2007, 9:59 pm - IP Logged

dvdiva....sue all you want once you won.  You are playing a game based upon the rules of the lottery which are approved by the state.  As long as the lottery enforces these rules equally, you have no chance of winning your case unless you can persuade someone to change the rules.

CA, I'm with you, if you don't make the names publicly available, no matter who it is that won. how can you be sure no funny business went on ?  I realize funny business can happen no matter what, but as you said, play by the rules or don't play, it really is as simple as that.

If you can't handle winning, then don't play. 

Does anyone care that 90% of the people that win have no problems ? 

hypersoniq's avatar - 8ball
                        Pennsylvania
                        United States
                        Member #1340
                        April 6, 2003
                        2450 Posts
                        Posted: March 4, 2007, 4:13 pm - IP Logged

I would use a trust, but not the lawyer. I will claim it myself as a "trustee acting on behalf of the winners" and they would do well to keep me from the cameras ;-) (you CAN refuse the press conference, I checked with the PA lottery awhile back)

IF reporters come around anyway, I simply LIE to them, tell them I started a company to keep people anonymous and advertise a website (which would be built up after winning) where I offer to do it for any winner in any state for a "gift" of $12,000

hopefully they just drop it, if not... $12,000 a pop isn't a bad part time job ;-)

Playing more than one ticket per game is betting against yourself.

California
                          United States
                          Member #46824
                          October 1, 2006
                          270 Posts
                          Posted: March 4, 2007, 5:03 pm - IP Logged

Hypersonig....the ability to refuse the press conference varies by state.  CA is like PA where you can refuse the press conference.  In fact in July a Super Lotto Plus $100 million refused the conference and the lottery couldn't understand why.  Also in California the lottery will only release your name and not the city in which you live.  So if you buy out of town, you might be able to stay a little bit more under the radar.  As far as a trust in California, you must identify a person as the primary contact for the trust and this is the name that would be released.

There are some states that require you to attend the press conference.  Can't remember which ones, but this requirement is clearly spelled out in their rules.  How long you have to stay and what you have to say, well that is up for grabs.

This shows is a lot depends upon which state you are lucky enough to win the big jackpot in!!!