Welcome Guest
You last visited December 3, 2016, 10:44 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

15 Million Dollars to spend

Topic closed. 15 replies. Last post 10 years ago by joshuacloak.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
tntea's avatar - Lottery-059.jpg

United States
Member #5344
June 30, 2004
23641 Posts
Posted: February 21, 2007, 8:47 pm - IP Logged

As a math problem, I am having students to keep up with a register and to list what they would buy with one million dollars.  They have until May 1 to finish the project. 

They have to show me where they got the prices for things..

Such as round tickets to another state...

Cost of a house.. car, boat.. etc..

They are allow to use ads, internet... etc to prove the price..

They are not allow to give away any.. However, they may buy people gifts.. (One young man is buying me a Monster Truck..)

I had a check up yesterday.. and to my surprise no one had spent a penny... As a challenge, my two assistants and I are now listing our buys to show students an example.

I took the class to BarnHills and spent $77 ... We figured I could take them three times a day.... and it would still take 114 years to spend my million..

Now that I am in the project with them... There has been only one thing to really come to my mind that I would want to do if I had that kind of money...

I would like to get the swimming pool in my back yard dug up and landscaping done... So that is my goal now.. to earn enough playing pick 4 to get the project done..

My assistants are picking new vehicles..  I dont have a desire for...

OLD/Vtrac   Lottery Bible         Double Warnings      Thumbs Up TN F34/F44

United States
    Member #17555
    June 22, 2005
    5582 Posts
    Posted: February 21, 2007, 8:58 pm - IP Logged

Stay with that goal....

United States
      Member #17555
      June 22, 2005
      5582 Posts
      Posted: February 21, 2007, 9:01 pm - IP Logged

Here's my report.

I would spend 15 million in 5 minutes....Are you kidding???

That's pocket change...LOL

United States
        Member #17555
        June 22, 2005
        5582 Posts
        Posted: February 21, 2007, 9:02 pm - IP Logged

Don't ya see???

We're talking Billions over here.....

United States
          Member #5344
          June 30, 2004
          23641 Posts
          Posted: February 21, 2007, 9:45 pm - IP Logged

Don't ya see???

We're talking Billions over here.....

each has one million to spend..

There are now 15 of us with the goal..

guesser's avatar - Lottery-017.jpg

United States
            Member #41383
            June 16, 2006
            1969 Posts
            Posted: February 22, 2007, 2:31 pm - IP Logged

Don't assume everyone knows what 'Barnhills' is, I had to look it up. (FYI)

A million bucks and you have to spend it for a class.....

A bit morbid, but forward thinking: Burial plot(s) for me and my spouse, headstones, vaults, caskets, a small policy to cover the 'opening and closing' and services ($20,000 or so looking forward 15-20 years).  

The reason I say that is my mom paid for all this stuff for her back in the 70's, and it was pretty cheap. I had to bury her 3 years ago, and if she had not pre-planned all that, we could not have afforded it, and my guess is at TODAY'S inflation rate burial plots (land) 'forever' isn't cheap now, nor will it get any cheaper.

Beyond that, I'd add on to the house ($50,000), and as you said, do some landscaping, beyond that, there is nothing that screams 'BUY ME' right now....  but a lot of things are screaming 'SAVE MONEY'....  

United States
              Member #5344
              June 30, 2004
              23641 Posts
              Posted: February 22, 2007, 10:24 pm - IP Logged

As a math problem, I am having students to keep up with a register and to list what they would buy with one million dollars.  They have until May 1 to finish the project. 

They have to show me where they got the prices for things..

Such as round tickets to another state...

Cost of a house.. car, boat.. etc..

They are allow to use ads, internet... etc to prove the price..

They are not allow to give away any.. However, they may buy people gifts.. (One young man is buying me a Monster Truck..)

I had a check up yesterday.. and to my surprise no one had spent a penny... As a challenge, my two assistants and I are now listing our buys to show students an example.

I took the class to BarnHills and spent $77 ... We figured I could take them three times a day.... and it would still take 114 years to spend my million..

Now that I am in the project with them... There has been only one thing to really come to my mind that I would want to do if I had that kind of money...

I would like to get the swimming pool in my back yard dug up and landscaping done... So that is my goal now.. to earn enough playing pick 4 to get the project done..

My assistants are picking new vehicles..  I dont have a desire for...

I spend  $67,200 on four horses and stable fee for 3 years for a student.

She was very tickled I thought of her love for horses..

Still have lots to go...

United States
                Member #17555
                June 22, 2005
                5582 Posts
                Posted: February 22, 2007, 10:32 pm - IP Logged

I got one for ya....

A guy walks over a bridge with three bowling balls. The problem is that the bridge can only hold the weight of the man and two bowling balls.

How does he manage to cross the bridge with three bowling balls?

Answer: In two days.

United States
                  Member #5344
                  June 30, 2004
                  23641 Posts
                  Posted: February 23, 2007, 7:57 pm - IP Logged

Don't assume everyone knows what 'Barnhills' is, I had to look it up. (FYI)

A million bucks and you have to spend it for a class.....

A bit morbid, but forward thinking: Burial plot(s) for me and my spouse, headstones, vaults, caskets, a small policy to cover the 'opening and closing' and services ($20,000 or so looking forward 15-20 years).  

The reason I say that is my mom paid for all this stuff for her back in the 70's, and it was pretty cheap. I had to bury her 3 years ago, and if she had not pre-planned all that, we could not have afforded it, and my guess is at TODAY'S inflation rate burial plots (land) 'forever' isn't cheap now, nor will it get any cheaper.

Beyond that, I'd add on to the house ($50,000), and as you said, do some landscaping, beyond that, there is nothing that screams 'BUY ME' right now....  but a lot of things are screaming 'SAVE MONEY'....  

I thought there were Barnhills in every state.. Sorry..

Burial plots.. ?  Not sure if my students would understand that purchase...

United States
                    Member #5344
                    June 30, 2004
                    23641 Posts
                    Posted: March 20, 2007, 10:11 pm - IP Logged

I got one for ya....

A guy walks over a bridge with three bowling balls. The problem is that the bridge can only hold the weight of the man and two bowling balls.

How does he manage to cross the bridge with three bowling balls?

Answer: In two days.

Ok.. surely he can cross the bridge more than once... or just roll them across....

Two days gone by...  Where is the answer?

United States
                      Member #5344
                      June 30, 2004
                      23641 Posts
                      Posted: March 20, 2007, 10:15 pm - IP Logged

Here is a question for you....

Three men go to a motel.. They decided to get one room... The clerk says "room will be $30"... Each man gives the clerk $10 for their part.

The men go upstairs..  The clerk goes to thinking.. "hmmm I charged those men too much for the room"  So he decides to lower the price to  $25...  He gives the bell boy $5 to take upstairs to give to the men..

Bell boy thinks as he is going up the stairs.. "How do I split $5 among the men"... He decides to give each $1 back and then pocket $2...

After all is said and done...  The men paid $9 each for the room.....  3X9=27...  The bell boy got the $2...  $2 + $27 = $29.. What happened to the other dollar...

Answer: will never be given

derek7's avatar - speedykat
                        IL
                        United States
                        Member #34578
                        March 4, 2006
                        198 Posts
                        Posted: March 20, 2007, 10:30 pm - IP Logged

The men spent $27. It inludes the tip for the bell boy.

Owner got only $25.

$27 - $25 = $2 

There was never $29 as such involved. 

The way the sotry is told makes it blurry on purpose to confuse... 

Amber88's avatar - praying hands.jpg
                          KENTUCKY
                          United States
                          Member #40028
                          May 26, 2006
                          578 Posts
                          Posted: March 20, 2007, 10:32 pm - IP Logged

Original charge was $30.00
                          Should have only been $25.00
                          Error was for $5.00 ($3.00 is given back to each man, bell boy gets $2)
                          There is no missing dollar

United States
                            Member #5344
                            June 30, 2004
                            23641 Posts
                            Posted: March 20, 2007, 10:39 pm - IP Logged

Original charge was $30.00
                            Should have only been $25.00
                            Error was for $5.00 ($3.00 is given back to each man, bell boy gets $2)
                            There is no missing dollar

Do you agree that the men were only out $9 each?

Do you agree that the three men together paying $9 would make the total cost of the room being  3X$9 =ing $27 dollars..?

Do you agree that the bell boy took $2...? (The only thing for certain..)

Adding the $27 to the two in the pocket of bell boy is $29... Agree

Amber88's avatar - praying hands.jpg
                              KENTUCKY
                              United States
                              Member #40028
                              May 26, 2006
                              578 Posts
                              Posted: March 20, 2007, 10:42 pm - IP Logged

I'm looking at it as a $5.00 error that was accounted for.