Welcome Guest
You last visited December 4, 2016, 3:15 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Do You Buy Lottery Tickets Right After The Drawing?

Topic closed. 13 replies. Last post 10 years ago by CA LotteryGuy.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink

United States
Member #49956
February 21, 2007
57 Posts
Posted: March 3, 2007, 1:51 am - IP Logged

I just found out that it is possible to buy Mega Millions tickets right after the drawing (about 10:30 Central Standard Time). 

The ticket is printed with the previous jackpot.

Does anybody else do this, even though the Jackpot is still unknown until 1:00 A.M?

It is great for me, because my state doesn't sell Mega Millions.

United States
    Member #17555
    June 22, 2005
    5582 Posts
    Posted: March 3, 2007, 1:54 am - IP Logged

Call me stupid, but it sounds illegal to me.

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
      Wandering Aimlessly
      United States
      Member #25360
      November 5, 2005
      4461 Posts
      Posted: March 3, 2007, 1:59 am - IP Logged

Twitch Huh??

dumars798's avatar - batman17
        Atlanta
        United States
        Member #28656
        December 20, 2005
        5675 Posts
        Posted: March 3, 2007, 1:59 am - IP Logged

Mega millions

$340 million!!

Smart bets...... Equal Phat Pocket$!

United States
          Member #49956
          February 21, 2007
          57 Posts
          Posted: March 3, 2007, 2:04 am - IP Logged

It is not illegal.  The tickets are printed from the terminal. I got them in TEXAS.

They are printed with the next drawing date, just with the previous jackpot.

For example, I went to a gas station last night at 10:30 pm Central Standard Time , and I asked the clerk if I could buy Mega Millions, she said yes, but for the following drawing.

So the tickets I bought are printed for Tuesday March 06 2007.  But still with a 275 Jackpot.

Im glad I got the tickets because it rolled to 340 million.

CCHS13's avatar - chi jpeg.jpg
            Illinois
            United States
            Member #46704
            September 23, 2006
            3692 Posts
            Posted: March 3, 2007, 2:06 am - IP Logged

Actually that can be done, well at least in Illinois.  And most importantly depending on the

particular merchant selling lottery tickets.  I have seen machinces cut off at 9:00 pm CST

which is approx 15 min prior to the cutoff that the state allows.  Also have seen machines

still online until about midnight.  The merchant makes the call on when the machine goes

off line to a certain extent.  I highly doubt the state stays online for 24 hours

Men Lie Women Lie Numbers Dont

Wandering Aimlessly
              United States
              Member #25360
              November 5, 2005
              4461 Posts
              Posted: March 3, 2007, 2:21 am - IP Logged

It is not illegal.  The tickets are printed from the terminal. I got them in TEXAS.

They are printed with the next drawing date, just with the previous jackpot.

For example, I went to a gas station last night at 10:30 pm Central Standard Time , and I asked the clerk if I could buy Mega Millions, she said yes, but for the following drawing.

So the tickets I bought are printed for Tuesday March 06 2007.  But still with a 275 Jackpot.

Im glad I got the tickets because it rolled to 340 million.

I think Pac might have read your message the way I did.  I thought you were saying they were printed with the winning numbers.  Sure you can get tickets after a drawing.  If the jackpot hasn't been determined yet, it makes sense that the one for the previous drawing will be printed.  Now I understand what you were saying.

United States
                Member #17555
                June 22, 2005
                5582 Posts
                Posted: March 3, 2007, 2:32 am - IP Logged

I think Pac might have read your message the way I did.  I thought you were saying they were printed with the winning numbers.  Sure you can get tickets after a drawing.  If the jackpot hasn't been determined yet, it makes sense that the one for the previous drawing will be printed.  Now I understand what you were saying.

That's exactly what I thought....

OOOps..sorry...LOL

California
                  United States
                  Member #46824
                  October 1, 2006
                  270 Posts
                  Posted: March 3, 2007, 11:03 am - IP Logged

Dont forget all you fine folks about the West Coast Mega Millions states of California and Washington.  The drawing occurs at 8:00pm out here.  Therefore by say 8:15pm or so tickets are for sale for the next drawing. It is still relatively early in the evening out here and buying a Mega Millions tickets on Tuesday or Friday night might be business as usual.

Greenwich, CT
                    United States
                    Member #4793
                    May 24, 2004
                    1822 Posts
                    Posted: March 3, 2007, 11:07 am - IP Logged

That sounds like a great idea, if it's a long drive to a MM state.  Buy your MM tickets for the drawing that night an hour before (or whatever your state's cutoff happens to be), go to dinner, come back after the draw and buy for the next one!

Kentucky
                      United States
                      Member #32652
                      February 14, 2006
                      7297 Posts
                      Posted: March 3, 2007, 1:02 pm - IP Logged

I just found out that it is possible to buy Mega Millions tickets right after the drawing (about 10:30 Central Standard Time). 

The ticket is printed with the previous jackpot.

Does anybody else do this, even though the Jackpot is still unknown until 1:00 A.M?

It is great for me, because my state doesn't sell Mega Millions.

Why would it be impossible to buy tickets for the next draw 2 seconds after the previous drawing? Just last week I decided to make a late bet and the machine only printed half the tickets. I found out why when the clerk tried to run the rest of the tickets; they were for the next day's Midday draw because the ticket sales stopped before all the tickets were printed. I was shut out.

The clerk said “I wondered why the screen was blinking and said sales were closed” after she handed me the extra tickets. I told her if she had mentioned that to me before running them, she wouldn’t have to cancel those tickets because I didn’t want them.

People play their favorite numbers on Mega Millions regardless of the jackpot so when they purchase the tickets is irrelevant.  

I bought Mega Million tickets on Wednesday and bought some more Friday night and none of the tickets had the jackpot amount. And why would they put the estimated jackpot amount on a ticket after it was purchased? Is that to let the people know they played for mega millions and not 4 bucks?

Your post looks like you’re talking about past-posting.

Wandering Aimlessly
                        United States
                        Member #25360
                        November 5, 2005
                        4461 Posts
                        Posted: March 3, 2007, 1:54 pm - IP Logged

That sounds like a great idea, if it's a long drive to a MM state.  Buy your MM tickets for the drawing that night an hour before (or whatever your state's cutoff happens to be), go to dinner, come back after the draw and buy for the next one!

I agree JAG that it's an idea to toss around, but wouldn't it just be easier to buy some advance play tickets so you don't have to go back?

United States
                          Member #49956
                          February 21, 2007
                          57 Posts
                          Posted: March 3, 2007, 2:02 pm - IP Logged

The only problem is that the jackpot is still unknown.

California
                            United States
                            Member #46824
                            October 1, 2006
                            270 Posts
                            Posted: March 3, 2007, 2:04 pm - IP Logged

The only problem is that the jackpot is still unknown.

The jackpot will be at least $12 million, which is still good enough for me!!!!