Welcome Guest
You last visited December 4, 2016, 5:20 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Appeal of reality show for BIG winner?

Topic closed. 11 replies. Last post 10 years ago by guesser.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink

United States
Member #50386
March 5, 2007
19 Posts
Posted: March 5, 2007, 11:22 am - IP Logged

What would the appeal be for the public to watch or read about a new winner turning  his ticket in and then be followed for  the next few months or even years?  Showing  family,shopping,travel, lawyers,financial planing,drama,etc.  I not asking for a debate on the issues for remaining anonymous. It would take a special individual with a plan of some sort to want to do this. Would you watch Jim Cramer of Mad Money fame do a show with the winner? Would you read MONEY magazine if they had a monthly article regarding the  financial planning of a big lotto winner?  A Dr. Phil type show to disscuss all the rewards and pitfalls of winning? The question is  - Would you watch?????????

LuckyLilly's avatar - savy chick.png

United States
    Member #50124
    February 26, 2007
    601 Posts
    Posted: March 5, 2007, 11:41 am - IP Logged

I wouldn't watch a Dr Phil type show nor read a money magazine article.  Seen those before.  Not familiar with Jim Cramer.

However, I probably would watch a reality show.  I'd LOVE to see a winner with a dysfunctional family, maybe one who's not very close to their family, deal with them after a huge win.  I'd volunteer, but y'all would be bored cuz when I win there's going to be no drama and we all know the American public won't watch a show when things are going well.  LOL

Greenwich, CT
      United States
      Member #4793
      May 24, 2004
      1822 Posts
      Posted: March 5, 2007, 11:44 am - IP Logged

The winner would have to have either pizzazz or make extremely poor choices.  As sad as Jack Whitaker's story is, I think that many people are intrigued by his life post-win.  So come up with a colorful, irresistable winner, or one that's going to make a mess of everything.

I don't think it would succeed with a run-of-the-mill couple who sees bowling as a night out on the town.

NY
        United States
        Member #23835
        October 16, 2005
        3474 Posts
        Posted: March 5, 2007, 12:08 pm - IP Logged

The winner would have to have either pizzazz or make extremely poor choices.  As sad as Jack Whitaker's story is, I think that many people are intrigued by his life post-win.  So come up with a colorful, irresistable winner, or one that's going to make a mess of everything.

I don't think it would succeed with a run-of-the-mill couple who sees bowling as a night out on the town.

The winner would obviously have to make some extremely poor choices. Agreeing to be on a show like that would be a choice so bad it would make Jack Whittaker look like a sensible genius. Still, if I win the lottery I might consider it if the price is right. If Iwin less than a million bucks I'd probably do it for 100 grand a year. If I pocket the $120 million net on Tuesday night I'd want at least $50 million to do it.

If somebody could make the show, though, it would be a huge hit. How long it would be a hit is up in the air, but it would be huge for a little while at least. 

guesser's avatar - Lottery-017.jpg

United States
          Member #41383
          June 16, 2006
          1969 Posts
          Posted: March 5, 2007, 12:39 pm - IP Logged

I think the only way that would fly (for me) is if it was different than all the other shows that have done this to death.

'Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous' comes to mind.

What I would like to see is the HONEST behind-the-scenes of a real person meeting with investment advisors and tax advisors, where they REALLY put their money, how they blow it or what it does to earn income for them.

I've kinda wondered how folks like Michael Jordan, Steve Young, Alex Rodriguez REALLY manage their money, but you can do that only so many times, maybe twice a year before you get burned out on it.

JMO

LuckyLilly's avatar - savy chick.png

United States
            Member #50124
            February 26, 2007
            601 Posts
            Posted: March 5, 2007, 12:43 pm - IP Logged

The winner would obviously have to make some extremely poor choices. Agreeing to be on a show like that would be a choice so bad it would make Jack Whittaker look like a sensible genius. Still, if I win the lottery I might consider it if the price is right. If Iwin less than a million bucks I'd probably do it for 100 grand a year. If I pocket the $120 million net on Tuesday night I'd want at least $50 million to do it.

If somebody could make the show, though, it would be a huge hit. How long it would be a hit is up in the air, but it would be huge for a little while at least. 

100 grand for giving up your privacy for an entire year??? Are you KIDDING???!!!  You should get at least half a million, probably more like 2 million.   Even Paris' little nobody friend, Nicole, made millions just from tagging along on that reality show.  And IIRC they only shot for a couple months.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
              mid-Ohio
              United States
              Member #9
              March 24, 2001
              19821 Posts
              Posted: March 5, 2007, 12:55 pm - IP Logged

Why would any body spend their own money to be somebody clown?  If someone wanted to produce such a show then he/she should have a sweepstakes with a jackpot of $10M or more with the understanding that the winner would also have to participate in a reality show about his/her life as a jackpot winner.  That way if it flopped, the only loser would be the clown that came up with this idea.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

Sunny California
                United States
                Member #40295
                May 31, 2006
                7712 Posts
                Posted: March 5, 2007, 1:15 pm - IP Logged

Not a fan of reality shows so I wouldn't watch. It doesn't sound too interesting. The fun part for me is all about getting the right numbers,that's the challenge,the drama, the contest! After you win it, well.....you spend it or save it or give some away,we all know that. 

cps10's avatar - Lottery-004.jpg
                  The Carolinas - Charlotte
                  United States
                  Member #21627
                  September 12, 2005
                  4138 Posts
                  Posted: March 5, 2007, 1:36 pm - IP Logged

I agree 100% with this, Floyd, especially on the pay.

I certainly couldn't stomach a quack like Dr. Phil or should I say, Dr. Oprah?

But if I was to hit the MM on Tuesday night, I would ask for $50 million minimum...that way you could afford to make some stupid decisions and make the show popular. And if people are that interested, the networks would make that on advertising easily anyway.

The North Carolina Education Lottery - so much a joke that here are their mascots:

Stooges

United States
                    Member #50386
                    March 5, 2007
                    19 Posts
                    Posted: March 5, 2007, 1:59 pm - IP Logged

What would the appeal be for the public to watch or read about a new winner turning  his ticket in and then be followed for  the next few months or even years?  Showing  family,shopping,travel, lawyers,financial planing,drama,etc.  I not asking for a debate on the issues for remaining anonymous. It would take a special individual with a plan of some sort to want to do this. Would you watch Jim Cramer of Mad Money fame do a show with the winner? Would you read MONEY magazine if they had a monthly article regarding the  financial planning of a big lotto winner?  A Dr. Phil type show to disscuss all the rewards and pitfalls of winning? The question is  - Would you watch?????????

The possibilities are wide open not just limited to the ones above. If you were at all interested in starting your own production company it could be a great starting point to learn the ropes. Keep control and maybe be productive and make more MONEY! I can think of a lot of copy cat scenarios with the lotto twist such as a Apprentice type show where the loto winner might pick his assistant or his team? Maybe QUEER EYE FOR THE RICH GUY. Good luck to everyone.

Kentucky
                      United States
                      Member #32652
                      February 14, 2006
                      7298 Posts
                      Posted: March 5, 2007, 3:35 pm - IP Logged

If the price was right, I'd be willing to let them follow me around to see how spent the free ticket I got playing the scratch-off game "Make Me Famous, Make Me Rich" in Ohio.

guesser's avatar - Lottery-017.jpg

United States
                        Member #41383
                        June 16, 2006
                        1969 Posts
                        Posted: March 6, 2007, 5:30 pm - IP Logged

On second thought, If I won the lottery, I'd sign a deal on a major network to do a show about me - starring me - 5-6 episodes a year.

The catch is, *I* would retain 100% absolute control - Directing and Producing - what I cut is what goes on TV - I retain ALL creative control. Why ? Because I can, they need me (ratings) more than I need them, and I want to do a series that REALLY shows how things go, this would absolutely NOT be an ego trip.

If I won, the world will know how much I won anyway, so why the heck not show where every penny goes ? 

You call me wanting money ?   Your call is going on TV.  

You show up on my doorstep ?   TV for you.

You write me ?  TV it goes.

I want to do something we have never seen before on TV.

(I know - easier said than done... but I will have all control or it won't be done)